YASS - Yet Another Station Set - Under Development

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

YASS - Yet Another Station Set - Under Development

Post by Trolley Trev »

Hey hey,

I have not been able to find a (passenger) station set that has everything I want in it, so I decided to make my own. Drawing the sprites is rather tedious and I haven't even got to the NML bit yet! :shock:

Here is a sneak preview of what I have drawn so far:
YASS_Progress.png
YASS_Progress.png (12.57 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
Features I intend to include:
- Ability to drag and drop complete station, like in ISR
- Overlapping tiles for mid-platform turnouts or signals, like AuzPlatforms
- More options for concourses and terminals, as most station sets seem to have a limited inventory in this regard
- Overlapping footbridges to span up to 2 centre express tracks, without having to use waypoints
- Probably will make underground platforms, with something to hide tunnel entrances
- Special tiles for slopes, eg pedestrian subway, station buildings etc
- Anything else I can think of

Please let me know your thoughts and if there's anything I should include!

Cheers! 8)

EDIT: So I have finally picked this up again after like a year haha. I have been plodding along slowly with sprites and fortunately, NML 0.7 is out now which supports stations so life should be far less painful when I get to that stage. Here's the latest sneak peak:
YASS_Progress_5.png
(140.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Will add more updates as we go
Last edited by Trolley Trev on 29 Apr 2023 13:37, edited 1 time in total.
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Re: YASS - Yet Another Station Set - Under Development

Post by WolfRamXx »

Looks very good! Id suggest some different color/material choices as well, like brick walls and floors, wooden footbridges, and light brown trims for old/ancient style. Or "50 shades of grey" style for modern look... and so on. (I have also many ideas of what could be possible done, but drawing them is somewhat harder than thinking about it :( )
Owner of WolfTrans.com. An fictional trucking company.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Trolley Trev wrote: 21 May 2022 13:41 and I haven't even got to the NML bit yet! :shock:
Well, to make matters even worse, you cant code stations in NML, you have to code them in NFO...
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Quast65 wrote: 21 May 2022 16:37 you cant code stations in NML
You can actually, using this version of NML. It appears to be working fine, but it's not yet fully merged into NML, so there may be some unexpected issues.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
RoyalExamination9410
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by RoyalExamination9410 »

Trolley Trev wrote: 21 May 2022 13:41 Hey hey,

I have not been able to find a (passenger) station set that has everything I want in it, so I decided to make my own. Drawing the sprites is rather tedious and I haven't even got to the NML bit yet! :shock:

Here is a sneak preview of what I have drawn so far:
YASS_Progress.png

Features I intend to include:
- Ability to drag and drop complete station, like in ISR
- Overlapping tiles for mid-platform turnouts or signals, like AuzPlatforms
- More options for concourses and terminals, as most station sets seem to have a limited inventory in this regard
- Overlapping footbridges to span up to 2 centre express tracks, without having to use waypoints
- Probably will make underground platforms, with something to hide tunnel entrances
- Special tiles for slopes, eg pedestrian subway, station buildings etc
- Anything else I can think of

Please let me know your thoughts and if there's anything I should include!

Cheers! 8)
Great work so far! I look forward to seeing what you have in store for us in the future! Are you adding in various station concourses ranging from small shelters in rural areas to grand termini suitable for large cities? Would love to see expanded options in this regard.
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Yes, that's the plan. Many sets have limited options in that regard I have found.
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Another progress pic:
YASS_Progress_2.png
(44.66 KiB) Not downloaded yet

And in dual company colours (Primary = Red, Secondary = Yellow):
(GRF Viewer stitch together)
YASS_Progress_2_2.png
(46.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Still to do (graphics):
- Station buildings
- Rural stations/buildings
- Covered footbridges
- Thinking of doing overhead station buildings that can be used in conjunction with road bridges, like one of the UK Station sets has
- Accessories like carparks, bus interchanges etc
- May consider "underground" stations

Still to do (coding):
- All of it haha
- Want to be able to do auto-station as well as individual placement like in ISR
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Re: YASS - Yet Another Station Set - TESTERS WANTED!

Post by Trolley Trev »

Hello, hello!

The first installment is finally here! At this stage, only through platforms, not terminal or concourse but turns out only 255 stations fit in a set, so will have to do a part 2.
I have done some in-game testing but a lot of strange quirks aren't picked up until in actual game play. This is where you come in! Attached is the alpha grf file for YASS. Please download and play with in-game and let me know of any bugs / quirks / glitches / unexpected behaviours that you come across and post back here and I will attempt to address it. Suggestions are welcome too!

Happy Playing!
YASS.grf
(939.16 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

What a nice little set! I thought perhaps the footbridges were going to be too low and cause clipping, but so far I've not found that to be the case. Well done!
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

kamnet wrote: 22 May 2023 02:01 What a nice little set! I thought perhaps the footbridges were going to be too low and cause clipping, but so far I've not found that to be the case. Well done!
Thanks for the kind words, Kamnet! The footbridges are the same height as road or rail bridges. This is deliberate so that they will be at ground level for the next level above. They should line up with the platforms with stairs down when placed one level above. :D
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Trolley Trev wrote: 22 May 2023 03:31 This is deliberate so that they will be at ground level for the next level above. They should line up with the platforms with stairs down when placed one level above. :D
How do you build these? I can't figure it out.
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

You could also have a road the next level above too instead of more platforms if you wanted.

Stantown Transport, 19th Jan 1950.jpg
Stantown Transport, 19th Jan 1950.jpg (259.16 KiB) Viewed 2918 times
Brickblock1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brickblock1 »

Trolley Trev wrote: 22 May 2023 01:28 The first installment is finally here! At this stage, only through platforms, not terminal or concourse but turns out only 255 stations fit in a set, so will have to do a part 2.
This limit has been removed now. See: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/10672
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Brickblock1 wrote: 22 May 2023 07:26
Trolley Trev wrote: 22 May 2023 01:28 The first installment is finally here! At this stage, only through platforms, not terminal or concourse but turns out only 255 stations fit in a set, so will have to do a part 2.
This limit has been removed now. See: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/10672

Excellent. Now just have to update my NML compiler to catch up! I see they just released 0.7.3 today with this update :D
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

We are looking forward to the upload on Bananas, even the interim version looks great :)
Ragin1_
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ragin1_ »

This is a neat little set!

I look forward to seeing where you go with this. Openttd always needs more high quality station sets :D

My only real criticism is that the pedestrian overbridge does seem to be fairly low, although that's mostly personal preference. The amount of station tiles is also a bit cumbersom for normal play but dragging stations like in ISR is on your to do list, so I'm sure you're already on it.

If you've not already considered it, would you be interested in having cargo aware platforms or stations that update over time like in Japan set stations? In my opinion, that really helps to make stations feel 'real' and as if they're actual places, although I know this would add a massive workload.

Also, would you be interested in other people contributing? I'm mostly experienced with drawing trains, but I've been planning my own station set for a while, so if you'd be willing to accept contributions I could give station tiles a go and send a few your way.

Anyway, I hope this goes well! I look forward to seeing where you take this project!
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Thankyou for the kind words! At the moment I'm just focusing on getting all the tiles done.

But there are already some shortcuts with the single tiles. For example, make a 1 length x >1 width station with a tile and see what happens :mrgreen:

Not having this feature was a bug bear of mine in other sets
Trolley Trev
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Trolley Trev »

Ok, here is another release for alpha testing.

Due to this GRF containing more than 255 station objects, it can only be played on a nightly greater than or equal to 20230510. Unfortunately, things like JGR's patch pack don't support that feature (yet) but I suspect it will be supported from the next release.

Known Bugs:
Strings for station objects with ID > 255 are not supported yet. As such, many, many tiles are labelled as "Default Station" and there are 2 class names defined from IDs > 255 which are only showing up as a blank, but the tiles are still in them.

By the time this set is officially released, I expect that any features it needs will be supported in stable and hopefully JGR's patchpack. If not, I will split it into several smaller GRFs but I'm hoping to avoid that.

Updates with this one:
Terminal Platforms!
YASS.grf
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
Attachments
Unnamed, 14th Jan 1950.jpg
(1.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

We are also gonna need more than 255 GRFs in an active game ;-)
So much great new stuff has been made lately! :bow:
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

Return to “Graphics Development”