Auto-select text when changing a time in timetable

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

nachocheesus
Engineer
Engineer

Auto-select text when changing a time in timetable

Post by nachocheesus »

I like to make heavy use of timetables, and over the course of a typical game I find myself pressing backspace hundreds of times when manually changing times/adding some slack in the table.

Considering wanting to add a number to the autofilled value is infinitesimally rare compared to wanting to change the number altogether, it would make the process so much faster if pressing "change time" would auto-select the current value, and thus entering a new number would automatically overwrite the old one.

Thank you :D
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Auto-select text when changing a time in timetable

Post by Eddi »

this is one of the many instances where the interface which was designed in the mid-90s didn't consider things that we now assume are a standard.
nachocheesus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Auto-select text when changing a time in timetable

Post by nachocheesus »

Ah the UI doesn't support selecting text at all, I see. That never really registered with me before.

Maybe a workaround could be that hitting "Change Time" brings up an empty field, while adding a "Confirm Time" button to the timetable screen for confirming autogenerated values without waiting for Autofill to finish an entire cycle. "Change Time" now fulfills both of those uses. That would still drastically cut down the required clicks and presses.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”