Game World

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Game World

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Don't know how feasible these suggestions are to implement, but I feel that the game is rather dull in terms of the game world itself. Don't get me wrong, even without GRFs, there's enough to keep me occupied for hours. But I do get rather bored while waiting for the money to come in.
I think that some weather effects would be cool. Not anything drastic or detrimental to the operation of vehicles, but even just an overlay with some rainfall would make the game feel more alive. Rain, snow, heat effects, these wouldn't be demanding on the game, and could be done as a togglable option. You'd know what I mean if you've played games like TheoTown.
Another could expand upon disasters. Late game, I'm just having the occasional UFO crash, and subsequent destruction by a fighter jet. Why not have some variety? A hurricane could disrupt operations at an airport, leaving aircraft unable to land for a short amount of time. A train robbery would mean that you lose any earnings on the next stop. A riot could block roads if your local popularity is bad. Things like this would make it a much more challenging game
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Game World

Post by WolfRamXx »

Interesting ideas for sure. Not entirely sure about the road block thingy (it doesn' really make sense to have roads blocked cuz you you have bad postal services in the city...), but if it would be just random riots which would be pretty much "road reconstruction" but with different animation in sprite it would be hella interesting indeed! Also an sudden virus which would lower passenger numbers across whole map to lets say 20% would be kinda up to date as well. :D

The idea with rainfall overlay got me thinking though... Il maight do some "concept" picture actaully.
Owner of WolfTrans.com. An fictional trucking company.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I'm glad you found it an interesting proposal. I really love the idea of a more dynamic game world. I know that it would usually be suited best for city building sims, but it makes for a more challenging game that requires more than just simple transport planning. (I guess technically there's the founding of towns could be considered city building in a way)
I know the game is made to be faithful to the original, but modern enhancements would just make it more than a copy. I hate to call it a simple copy of the original, but OpenTTD is exactly that. But it's an 'Open' game. Open to all kinds of new ideas. GRFs, graphics, music, scripts, AIs, heightmaps, scenarios, the game is so damn versatile, but I still feel that it needs something to set it apart from the original game in some way. As said, it should be something that could be enabled in settings or something. I'd try it myself, but I SUCK at coding. Not so bad with pixel graphics, but implementation is a whole other thing.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

The idea of letting Game Scripts do many more disaster-like things has definitely been floated before. One of the big hurdles is that many things will need additional graphics for "disaster vehicles", and the game doesn't have a good way of bundling GS and NewGRF right now.
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

Really quick edit of screenshot, the rain would be screen effect tht would either move every second 10 pixels to side, or it would be some sort of blue colored noice. (Mind the color of rain drops is random and not from OTTD color pallete)
Attachments
TruthSeekersINC, 12_14_1978_edit.png
Nice weather today! Hope it wont rain.
(766.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
TruthSeekersINC, 12_14_1978_editRain.png
(808.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Epic! Maybe a bit heavy on the particles, but that's exactly what I had in my head!
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

Maybe it would look better with darker shade of blue-ish grey, it wouldnt shine up that much agaisnt all other colors and still would keep kinda realictic amount of rain drops.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

It looks a little bit more like snow like that.
Something like this would probably work better, if a little harder to process on the CPU perhaps.
3ed745e14423d28ea25b5770489b3878.gif
3ed745e14423d28ea25b5770489b3878.gif (1.06 MiB) Viewed 1372 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

True, that would most likely make more sense. Shouldnt even be THAT hard to process if it would be just moving sprite repeating it self. Il try making better version than, when il have time. As well will try making proper arctic snow storm and tropic desert heat.
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

Interview with Chris Sawyer- http://www.transporttycoon.com/anniversary
17. Are there any features that you planned for Transport Tycoon and Transport Tycoon Deluxe that didn't get implemented?
There are actually a few things. I had ambitions to put things like dirty tricks, more detailed share dealing and taking over companies, and a lot of these features were dropped because I felt they just weren't going to work well in the game. I'd thought them through and could have done them, but they just didn't feel like they were going to work well enough, so they got dropped.
This msg lead me to these ideas:
- Option for buying shares of all industries (manually close down industry, stop production etc. - full control when you have 100% shares)
- Make the "Cargo Table" this require players to transport from specific industry to specific locations (1 or more) on the map (randomly location - similar mechanics to substitutions - you can't freely decide where to transport cargos - you are only a transport company !)
- Cargo stockpiling as default game mechanism
- Variable cargo prices during the game (currently only growing with time)
- Variable running costs
- manually closing the company & adding new company
- icons for company (colors + icons = more companies in the game)
This game could be a little bit more dynamic.
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

WolfRamXx wrote: 13 May 2022 17:51 Shouldnt even be THAT hard to process if it would be just moving sprite repeating it self.
That was made using pixel effects in Unity I believe, and no sprites. Now obviously OpenTTD isn't in unity, but it might be possible for OTTD to do something similar, just drawing a pixel of X color and Y transparency no extra sprite needed to a GRF, so isn't reliant on updated OpenGFX and similar. Granted, I don't really know much about OpenTTD's engine, other than its some C like language using SDL for drawing things (according to some websites, a horrendously old SDL, 1.2, if that makes a difference over SDL2)
But if you are able to mimic that effect, with no GRF edits needed for extra sprites, that is obviously beneficial and could even look neat if well done.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

Redirect Left wrote: 13 May 2022 21:51 But if you are able to mimic that effect, with no GRF edits needed for extra sprites, that is obviously beneficial and could even look neat if well done.
Sadly im neither coder or sprite drawer. I only try making couple sprites here and there, but thats about it...

Anyway, i hope this would actually be implemented together wind the snowing effect in arctical and instead of the heat waves a dust storm in tropical sceneries. IDK if anyone even plays toyland scenery so making weather effect for that would probably be wasted brainstorming of what to do for it (maybe falling lego bricks idk).
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

If we are talking about the weather I think we also do need a wind... wind of change: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... p=CAM%253D
:D
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
WolfRamXx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by WolfRamXx »

You had me in the first half not gonna lie :D

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”