Funding Industries vs Building Industries

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Funding Industries vs Building Industries

Post by mauried »

Sometimes in the game when I try to fund an industry I get a message that this Industry cant be built here for some reason which is fair enough.
However the game itself seems able to build the same industry in the same place without restriction .
A common scenerio is that the game builds an industry which is used by the players to provide something and later on the industry closes, so you attempt to fund the same industry in the same place ,to keep the transport chain working , but the game wont let you.
Is this an intended feature?
tnx.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Funding Industries vs Building Industries

Post by Eddi »

that depends...

first, you must be very careful which exact tile you click when funding an industry manually. this can be a problem in hilly or noisy maps

second, industries, especially NewGRF ones, may have complicated placement rules. so when the original industry was placed, the situation might be different from now.

simple example: a bank must be placed on top of a house. if the bank closes it leaves an empty tile, not a house tile, so you cannot immediately place a bank in the same place, you need to wait for a house to grow back.

other example: a NewGRF farm may be coded to not be funded if there's a town within X tiles. over time a town expands closer to the farm, which can trigger the farm to close down. now you cannot build back a farm in the same place because the town is too close
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks for responding.
The issue isnt about placement but not being allowed to place the industry where the previous town built industry was.
eg A chemical plant I was using to make dyes closed, so I tried to fund another chemical plant on the same spot as where the old one was, but I get the message that this type of industry can only be placed far away from towns.
I am near a town so thats why it wont allow the placement , but what I am trying to figure out is how was the original chemical plant built there as the town was there when it was built.
Are there differant placement rules for town built industries compared to player funded industries.
tnx
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

There can be, yes, although personally I typically code my industry sets to be more restrictive when generated on a new map than when funded by a player. More likely the town has grown since the map was generated.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

what i was trying to say: the town might already have been there, but it probably was much smaller. so now the houses are much closer and prevent funding the industry.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Tnx all.
The town was a small one that hadnt grown much as it wasnt being provided with any services, so its something Ill have to be aware of in the future.
I kind of like the idea of not being able to fund industries in the same location as a closed industry immediately, as it makes the game too easy.
Is there a distance limit of how far away from a town a town owned industry can be whether its built by the town , or funded by the player?
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

The limit is not decided or enforced by OpenTTD itself, but by code written by the NewGRF author. So it varies.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

Thanks, that explains much of what Ive been seeing, industries a long way from the towns that build them.

Return to “General OpenTTD”