I want to make a custom version of OpenGFX with a minor graphical tweak, but I don't know how to do it. Is it possible?

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

JustMoreMemes
Engineer
Engineer

I want to make a custom version of OpenGFX with a minor graphical tweak, but I don't know how to do it. Is it possible?

Post by JustMoreMemes »

I want to modify it to make the sand tiles orange, I can edit the colours myself if I could extract the graphics but I don't know how to extract or insert or even if it's even possible. Would it be possible just to make a NewGRF that replaces the desert tiles?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: I want to make a custom version of OpenGFX with a minor graphical tweak, but I don't know how to do it. Is it possib

Post by PikkaBird »

Extremely possible, yes. You can get the OpenGFX sprites from the source here.
Auge
Director
Director

Re: I want to make a custom version of OpenGFX with a minor graphical tweak, but I don't know how to do it. Is it possib

Post by Auge »

Hello
JustMoreMemes wrote: 04 Apr 2022 21:33 I want to modify it to make the sand tiles orange, I can edit the colours myself if I could extract the graphics but I don't know how to extract or insert or even if it's even possible. Would it be possible just to make a NewGRF that replaces the desert tiles?
It is possible, as Pikkabird stated. You need your graphic program and a program to compile the NewGRF. I recommend to use nml. For this to work you need to fulfill the software dependencies (depending on your operating system, there is a standalone Windows binary, that contains all dependencies).

If the program stack is ready for use, you need your own, altered graphic sprites and the ordering numbers of the base graphic sprites you want to replace. Your nml-file with the code will have to contain a GRF-definition and one or more replace-blocks. A good source to begin is the NML-tutorial (installation, grf-file, features, language-files, etc.). For further issues, ask here in the forum.

Tschö, Auge
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

JustMoreMemes wrote: 04 Apr 2022 21:33 I want to modify it to make the sand tiles orange, I can edit the colours myself if I could extract the graphics but I don't know how to extract or insert or even if it's even possible. Would it be possible just to make a NewGRF that replaces the desert tiles?
If you need 'tropical desert" so bad then you should try to contact with Zephyris:
viewtopic.php?t=38122&start=3460
or use OpenGFX Mars Lanscape grf from ingame Content Download.
Attachments
mars.jpg
OpenGFX Mars Landscape
(273.86 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mars_arctic.jpg
OpenGFX Mars Landscape+Brixx
(566.74 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mars_ash.jpg
OpenGFX Mars Landscape+Brixx
(560.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”