HotHut (tropical houses replacement set)

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

HotHut (tropical houses replacement set)

Post by Wahazar »

I decided to create own house set, when I realised, that there is no decent house set matching any African scenario (default set resembles something Mediterranean or Mexican), especially there is lack of early houses (concrete skyscrappers in XIX century?). Also tropical set is rather sparse.

This set is based on default openttd buildings, but with altered parameters: later spawn dates and improved construction check switches.
Additional building classes are slums and residential - buildings belonging to given class may spawn near other buildings of the same class, or far from the building of opposite class. Expected outcome is some suburbs district clustering of shanty towns vs luxurious villas.
Additionally some early buildings were added:
* African inspired huts (clay for normal biome, wattle for rainforest biome)
* Middle East inspired clay houses (gray/beige clay for towns, red clay with ornaments for cities) in desert biomes. These yield higher population than rainforest huts, to counterbalance town growth cargo demands.
* Stilt houses near water or on slopes.

There is also an option for replacement of town lamps and pavement.
Here are some examples -

desert city vs desert town, spawned around 1850:

rain forest town, spawned around 1850:

desert city vs desert town, developed in XX century:

city near rain forest and desert boundary, developed:

Another desert town, with fort (stadiums doesn't spawn on desert, there are forts or horse racetracks instead).

Some remarks:
while shanty houses yield small population and usually doesn't accept/produce mail, they accept some fraction of water demand - therefore can be useful in case of lack of water tower industry.
Horse racetracks provide acceptance of livestock.

TODO: more modern buildings. Fix spawning switches.

Newgrf v.3. is available online.
Source: https://github.com/Wahazar/openttd-newgrf-hothut
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: HotHut (tropical houses replacement set)

Post by odisseus »

The style is beautiful, but the perspective of some buildings is wrong—most notably the large rainforest hut, the haystack-like structures, and the sole masonry house on the rainforest screenshot.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

odisseus wrote: 18 Feb 2022 18:14 The style is beautiful, but the perspective of some buildings is wrong—most notably the large rainforest hut, the haystack-like structures, and the sole masonry house on the rainforest screenshot.
I wanted to draw clay granaries, something like that:
but I have no idea how to draw it correctly from openttd perspective.
About house, it was intended to be skewed, to bring some chaotic placement, but together with this straight fence it looks like a glitch. I will try to redraw it to be parallel.
Not sure what exactly is wrong with large hut?
Probably I should use some 3D models as aid, because my drawing skills and spatial imagination are poor.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I think the masonry house is wrong even when accounting for its orientation. It looks as if it were built on a slope, the visible gable wall being higher than the opposite wall.

The granaries look as if they were viewed from a lower angle than everything else in the game. Conversely, the large hut is visible from a too high angle.

On the other hand, you got the small huts perfectly right.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Hmm, this large hut (my intention was to make something like tribe chief house) have similar proportion to small huts. Maybe I should improve some shading.

Meanwhile I utilised standard temperate office flat to create something similar to typical for Middle East, unfinished flats:
cairoflats.png
cairoflats.png (10.49 KiB) Viewed 6623 times
These flats have concrete reinforcements ready to extend additional floor, not sure if it is due to avoid taxes or other reasons, but is is a common thing:
https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/cont ... rmat=1000w
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

New version (4) is available on bananas.
Some sprites are fixed, flats with protruding concrete reinforcements (typical for Middle East) are added,
also thanks for Flogeza courtesy, large (4x4) scyscrappers (from his extra city objects) appear in modern towns located on desert biome.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Version 9 was uploaded to Bananas, I believe it is a final release.
StarlightRunner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by StarlightRunner »

I realize development on this has essentially ceased, but would it be possible to add a setting to keep the old-style houses into the modern day? I only play games in the 2020s, and I really appreciate how they look.
North American urbanist and transportation enthusiast.
SkiddLow
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by SkiddLow »

I've been using HotHut since 2022, due to suitable for tropical/desert.

It's been long time, the HotHut never update again in 10 months later due to hibernation.

But, we sure need more ideas for future HotHut versions, if resume :
- Add more 'construction' sprites
- More building sprites such as 'mall', 'gas station', 'modern shops' (for tropical), 'rural houses' (for tropical), 'modern high-rise' and 'modern offices'
- Additional sprites for sport like 'soccer/football field', 'cricket field', 'basketball', 'handball venue' and more
- Localize with other languages if you understand to use HotHut
Seriphyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seriphyn »

Glad I ran into this! A problem though...even with "Keep original houses" disabled, I'm still having the original houses spawn?

Out of curiosity, I enabled "Keep original houses" in scenario editor, and found a new "Basic houses" tab that only included vanilla horse statue and American football stadium. Perhaps some missing flags in the code here and there?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

This is a minor cosmetic issue that I personally welcome, I prefer more variety of cities,
Aren't you using some graphics that modify the original houses? ITL Houses, Early houses and the like...
Seriphyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seriphyn »

Argus wrote: 05 May 2023 18:11 This is a minor cosmetic issue that I personally welcome, I prefer more variety of cities,
Aren't you using some graphics that modify the original houses? ITL Houses, Early houses and the like...
I have only loaded this NewGRF. Surely It's not really a cosmetic issue if it's an advertised functionality that isn't working? In the scenario editor, I counted roughly 144 buildings original to this NewGRF and 47 vanilla buildings included, meaning that for me personally, there's enough variety using only the buildings exclusive to HotHut (besides, I'm using the DOS GFX, so it is jarring in contrast, in addition to stuff like including UK-style flats etc.)

Example here, you've got the 3 UK style flats that have appeared (1960, scenario editor 'many random towns'), as well as a US-style ranch house. Even the vanilla subtropic shacks and villa just sort of takes me out of it. Really enjoy the buildings in the set exclusively, so I'll fool around with the github code for my own use to see about removing the vanilla buildings.

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Personally, I don't really see a problem with it...
I haven't even tried this feature since I mostly use multiple building sets anyway. And I use zbase, which means it tends to be even more distracting :lol:
On the other hand, you're right that sometimes there are situations where it doesn't really fit, like in games with African city names. We'll see if the author comes back and fixes it. :)
Seriphyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seriphyn »

Argus wrote: 05 May 2023 20:57 Personally, I don't really see a problem with it...
I haven't even tried this feature since I mostly use multiple building sets anyway. And I use zbase, which means it tends to be even more distracting :lol:
On the other hand, you're right that sometimes there are situations where it doesn't really fit, like in games with African city names. We'll see if the author comes back and fixes it. :)
Fair enough, though there is stuff like this...

Spawn date set to 1900. The avant-garde one on the right in the building selection is set to 1920. Though now that you mentioned 'zbase', I tried re-loading with OpenGFX over DOS and the buildings are completely different; definitely blending in more as the buildings in the above screenshot are replaced with something else.
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Well, honestly, some houses are using original sprites numbers.
I was using test with opengfx graphics and was not aware of z-baze issues due to such approach.
Seriphyn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seriphyn »

Wahazar wrote: 07 May 2023 22:25 Well, honestly, some houses are using original sprites numbers.
I was using test with opengfx graphics and was not aware of z-baze issues due to such approach.
Not zbase, but original DOS :D

Basically wondering if the "Keep original houses" parameter might work as intended, especially in "Off" so I can exclusively just use the new HotHut buildings. :)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

"Keep original houses off" means, that original houses doesn't spawn.
But my newgrf is reusing some original houses sprites (just with altered parameters, like spawn date, probability etc).

Return to “Graphics Releases”