Eurovision Song Contest, 2022

This is the place to talk about anything not related to Transport Tycoon itself.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Eurovision Song Contest, 2022

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 12 May 2022 11:48 France is the one I listen to the most
According to Last.FM I listened to to Serbias 'In Corpore Sano' by Konstrakta the most, by far. Followed by Sweden, North Macedonia, Germany & Bulgaria, in that order. Although by the time you get to Bulgaria, I listened to last years winner 'Zitti E Buoni' more than it in the last 30 days.

It'll be interesting to see how many keep on my regular playlists, like Italy, San Marino, the UK & Norway did from last year. Yes I love the pre-recorded nice version of our entry Embers from last year, shame it was so flat on the night! Interestingly Zitti E Buoni was added far later than the rest, it was a very much slow burner for me until I decided "you know what, that's actually ace, add it to the main playlist!".
Last edited by Redirect Left on 12 May 2022 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

My Last.FM from the last 30 days shows:
1. France: Alvan, Ahez - Fulenn
2. Slovenia: LPS - Disko
3. Italy: Mahmood, BLANCO - Brividi
4. Sweden: Cornelia Jakobs - Hold Me Closer
7: Poland: Ochman - River
8. Albania: Ronela - Sekret
10: Spain: Chanel - SloMo

My Last.FM from 2021 clearly shows Ukraine as my (overall) top song last year.

Eurovision songs in my top 100 are:
1. Ukraine: Go_A - Shum
5. Finland: Blind Channel - Dark Side
29. Italy: Måneskin - Zitti e Buoni
53. Iceland: Daði Freyr - Think About Things (from 2020)
72. Denmark: Fyr og Flamme - Øve Os På Hinanden

I really did love Denmark's last year, shame it never made it to the finals.
My Scenarios:
Archipiélago Hermoso (Latest Release: Version 3.2)
Turnpike Falls (Latest Release: Version 0.91)
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Well! That was another night of some sad losses on the field in tunes this year.

I somehow got 7/10 from my guesses, so we'll start with that. I'm pretty gutted for San Marino, the staging was so on point. I feel the same for North Macedonia, although in that case the staging was sooo dull, especially when compared to the official video for it released early on in the Eurovision cycle.
When the final name was announced, I was so torn on who ii wanted to go through the most, so many great songs remaining, but I'm glad it ended up going to Serbia!
I really hope that Eurovision release the information for voting later on, it must have been fairly close who came 11th & 12th in the voting for both SF's, narrowly missing out on the final.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Chrill wrote: 04 May 2022 13:32 My bets for Semi Final 2
1. Sweden
2. Poland
3. Serbia
4. Australia
5. Finland
6. Estonia

7. Cyprus
8. San Marino

9. Belgium
10. Czechia

11. Malta
12. Azerbaijan
13. Romania
14. Ireland
15. North Macedonia
16. Montenegro
17. Georgia
18. Israel
8 out of 10. I'll take it.

I'll get back to you with my full bets for the finals in a bit! All I can say for now is that Germany, despite sending what is normally a fairly good Big 5 entry, will finish in the bottom 3. Romania and potentially Lithuania or Switzerland should join Germany there.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eurovision has placed the full performances for for the 'Big 5' on their YouTube. Spain - SlowMo, UK - Space Man, Germany - Rockstars, Italy - Brividi & France - Fulenn. At least on the feed in the UK, these were not shown, except for about 15-30 second excerps. So i wonder if these are equivalent to the version that the Judges use to vote on, as I believe they vote based upon rehearsals or specific for-judging shows, rather than the big main event on Saturday that we all see.
They're all fantastic performances with great energy. I really love the UK's staging especially, Sam Ryder choose an amazingly simple yet stylish way to do things, it makes me glad that each performer gets to choose their own set up and usage of the huge overhead many many many lights however they please. I was really worried that . All of them also sing really well, none of them feel flattened at all compared to the prerecorded and released versions of the songs that were available on YouTube or the official Eurovision 2022 album.
If i am accurate, and these are what the judges use to vote upon, I don't think any of these countries have any fears of being in the bottom half of the show, they all did so well in every way possible, staging, vocally and appearances all around. Let's hope they can stay that amazing for the public vote on Saturday!
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Redirect Left wrote: 13 May 2022 11:09 If i am accurate, and these are what the judges use to vote upon, I don't think any of these countries have any fears of being in the bottom half of the show, they all did so well in every way possible, staging, vocally and appearances all around. Let's hope they can stay that amazing for the public vote on Saturday!
The problem that the Big 5 has is they go up against songs we have already picked. Even the weaker entries like Romania, Iceland, Lithuania etc. are proven winners because they made their respective top 10s. Germany hasn't done that yet. Would they have qualified? Probably, all of the Big 5 would have qualified regularly if forced this year. Still, the German entry is just lost among other better entries.
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Chrill wrote: 13 May 2022 13:05 The problem that the Big 5 has is they go up against songs we have already picked.
I think even taking that into account ,they're all strong entries, maybe a little to 'pop' music than what the judges seem to like (based on past judges), but I still think the majority if not all can pull a top 10.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

And now for my complete table of the top 25 for tomorrow!

1. Ukraine
2. Sweden
3. Spain
4. Serbia
5. United Kingdom
6. Italy
7. Moldova
8. Greece
9. Poland
10. Portugal
11. Norway
12. Australia
13. Netherlands
14. Estonia
15. Finland
16. Czechia
17. France
18. Armenia
19. Azerbaijan
20. Iceland
21. Belgium
22. Germany
23. Romania
24. Lithuania
25. Switzerland

Adam, I'll move Germany out of the bottom 3 for you but I still would not be surprised if they finish 25th. :mrgreen:
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So last minute top 10, in no particular order. Busy day being in Peterborough to watch it from a posh hotel with the gf!

Ukraine
Italy
Germany
United Kingdom
Spain
Norway
Finland
Switzerland
Sweden
Serbia

Post competition edit; so Germany, that went well for me!
Last edited by Redirect Left on 15 May 2022 15:59, edited 2 times in total.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Well that was an unexpected result (for me at least) for the UK! Top of the jury vote and 2nd overall. Wow. It was a good song though, hopefully we might take things a bit more seriously from now on!

Well done to Ukraine, with an astoundingly high public vote - not surprising given the situation, and their song was decent so a worthy winner. :)
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

Really happy Sweden did well with both jury and televotes. I think we were 6th in the televotes which isn't a shame at all.

With all that is happening in Ukraine, and the scale of hosting this event, we will likely be getting info pretty soon about hosting, perhaps during the summer. UK finishing 2nd could mean they are offered to host, but Ukraine may also extend the question to a neighbour such as Poland (who have been very helpful to Ukraine immigrants) or Moldova (who are also targeted by Russia, plus did incredibly well in the competition).
My Scenarios:
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So, I am now home. Well, what an evening Saturday was.

So here's how I did with my guesses;
Ukraine - The winner! Great success!
Italy - 6th, this is a song i personally disliked, but much like Switzerland (wrongly in that case) thought was definitely the 'thing' for the audience.
Germany - 25th, aka 100% the opposite of top 10, they couldn't have not been top 10 any harder. I am gutted for Malik though, it was such a great song. Twitter reactions also seem to suggest it isn't just me with this mindset, I hope Malik doesn't take it to heart too much.
United Kingdom - 2nd, Great success! - I knew we were going in with good odds, but never did I think we'd have come second, and won the Jury vote, if not the public one.
Spain - 3rd, not bad at all!
Norway - 10th, I didn't expect this one to be barely top 10, i was kind of expecting a top 5 result there, but it still counts as a +1 in my rankings
Finland - 21st, this is a song I started disliking when announced, but it grew on me. Apparently not many others, and as suggested in this thread earlier on, apparently no one was indeed wanting more of The Rasmus!
Switzerland - 17th, well, this is clearly one i thought wrong of, I wasn't a fan of the song that much compared to some, i had just guessed it was 'the thing' viewers would go for.
Sweden - 4th, Was there any doubt of Sweden not coming top 10? I didn't think so!
Serbia - 5th, i thought Serbia was going to end in such a low position after the jury votes, but Konstrakta was clearly a public favourite. I can't even describe what about it makes me love it, but somehow I do!

7/10 - That isn't too bad, especially after my 5/10 start to the semis! Although my misses were... really big misses!
Chrill wrote: 15 May 2022 20:29 With all that is happening in Ukraine, and the scale of hosting this event, we will likely be getting info pretty soon about hosting, perhaps during the summer. UK finishing 2nd could mean they are offered to host, but Ukraine may also extend the question to a neighbour such as Poland (who have been very helpful to Ukraine immigrants) or Moldova (who are also targeted by Russia, plus did incredibly well in the competition).
If Ukraine do need to pass on the hosting opportunity, which I can see a real risk of, given no part of Ukraine, at least at present, is 'safe' from the ongoing events, even the far Western parts of the country have been aerial bombarded at least somewhat. I hope the EBU give a free choice of who their preferred host is to Ukraine, rather than them just saying "OK well UK were second, so it is them".

Also of note, apparently during Semi Final 2, there was a lot of backscratching potentially going on, with 6 countries (Poland, San Marino, Azerbaijan, Montenegro, Georgia & Romania) being given 'substituted aggregated' jury results, a claim of Belgium's Flemish based 'VRT' broadcaster was that they'd all agreed to vote for each other, although it was flagged as anomalous by the EBUs systems.
Lastly, the background arches were intended to move about, however during rehearsals it was discovered it was seemingly faulty and didn't move very freely, and was prone to hiccups in smoothness or... working at all. This 'Kinetic Sun' (in case you were as confused as i am about that term, the Eurovision blog 'wiwibloggs' describes it here with intended functionality videos. So if you noticed during the finals there was this black arch that did nothing, well that is why, the lights on it still worked and were moveable/recolorable though for each performance. Although, some acts that were using background displays had them cut off, sometimes really badly, in the middle, where the rings are. The UK commentators usually pick up on things like this and tell the audience, but this time it seems the 3 commentators (2 doing semis, and 1 for the final) didn't tell us this! So maybe the same for other countries announcers too.

Overall, another great Eurovision year despite the above notes. I look forward to 2023, whether it is in Ukraine or elsewhere!
Last edited by Redirect Left on 16 May 2022 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Chrill

Post by Chrill »

I too shall check my top 10!

My bet - Actual result
1. Ukraine - Spot on
2. Sweden - 4th
3. Spain - Spot on
4. Serbia - 5th
5. United Kingdom - 2nd
6. Italy - Spot on
7. Moldova - Spot on
8. Greece - Spot on
9. Poland - 12th
10. Portugal - 9th

I mean, that's pretty well done to me, 9 out of 10. Especially proud that my top 5 are all the top 5s, and 6-8 is all spot on. The only shame is my overrating Poland a tiny bit. Norway was 10th, and I had them as my 11th. So that's almost a grand slam.
My Scenarios:
stevenpurdon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by stevenpurdon »

Cornelia Jakobs is my favourite.
Last edited by stevenpurdon on 31 May 2022 03:16, edited 1 time in total.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

So the exact voting has been revealed, so we know who almost made the cut, and who did not, plus who was statistically... the worst of all the semi-finals & finals.
  • Latvia, with their song Eat Your Salad, was nowhere near getting through, I had presumed it narrowly missed out. Overall it came 14th, after coming 11th in Jury Vote, and a whopping 15th in televotes.
  • Sweden by far won the Semi-Final two vote, scoring 396 total, the next closest was Australia at 243, then Serbia's In Corpore Sano with 237 points. Serbia & Sweden tied the televote at 174 points each, but Sweden stormed Jury voting.
  • As expected, Semi-Final one was won, with a large majority of over 100 points by Ukraine, with 337 total points. The Netherlands coming 2nd, and Greece's Die Together third, with just 10 votes (221 to 211) separating 2nd & 3rd.
  • One of my favourite songs of this contest, North Macedonia's Circles by Andrea came 11th, it flunked in televotes at 16th but came 10th in jury voting.
  • One thing we knew already from the big night, the UK won the jury vote. However missable was that we only came 5th in televotes. Ukraine, Moldova, Spain & Serbia all got more than us. Moldova came 2nd in televotes, who'd have thought a song about a train journey would have gone down so well!
  • Georgia came last in SF2, with 22 points total.
  • Slovenia was the worst performer of SF1, scoring just 15 points across both votes.
  • This means the worst performer of Eurovision 2022, according to votes, was Germany's Malik Harris & Rockstars. Who scored just 6 points in their appearance, unlucky Germany. Shame it happened in the Final too!
Source used: ESC Xtra.

Meanwhile, Sam Ryder performed Space Man at the Queen's Platinum Party, to rave reviews. From being a man not many people outside of TIk-Tok knew about, to performing at the Queen's Party? Ain't a bad year for him, and vocally on point too. If he can market himself, I think he's got a bright potential future.

Return to “Off-Topic”