Running OpenTTD server on an Igel thinclient

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

flp
Engineer
Engineer

Running OpenTTD server on an Igel thinclient

Post by flp »

Hi,

at work we have sorted out some older thinclients from Igel and i had the idea trying to run an openttd server on one of them.

The specs are:

First one: VIA Eden X2 4200 @ 1.0+ GHz, 2 GB Flash-Drive, 1 GB memory (therefrom 256 MB graphic memory)
Second one: Via Nano U3100 1.6 GHz, 2 GB Flash-Drive, 1 GB memory (therefrom 128 MB graphic memory),
Third one: Intel Atom E3815 @ 1.46 GHz, 2 GB Flash-Drive, 2 GB memory.

After a short comparison on CPU-benchmark websites, it looks for me that the Intel one has by far the worst performace of the three and the Via Eden is a bit better than the Via Nano.

As far is i know, the disks are just CompactFlash-Cards and it might be possible to change them to larger cards. If it's possible to install larger memory, i don't know. Maybe there is a linux distribution with very low requirements which i can use for it.

My general question at first is, if the named devices are capable running OpenTTD as server? Not for a large group but maybe only for 3-4 players?

What do you think? :D
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: Running OpenTTD server on an Igel thinclient

Post by Taschi »

If you manage to get a server running on them, the performance will be absolutely horrible. And tbh I'd expect even getting a somewhat up-to-date Linux running on that little storage will be a complete pain. These devices are not built to do anything that requires any amount of computing power, they're built to be thin clients. If I were you, I wouldn't bother - it won't be worth it.
kamnet

Re: Running OpenTTD server on an Igel thinclient

Post by kamnet »

But if you're the type that likes to experiment, sure, give it a try. Although I do suspect that it might be just a little underpowered in both CPU and RAM to both run the OS and the game.

The slowest computer I've tried it on is an AMD Athlon 2850e w/ 2GB RAM running Windows 7, and it ran fine, hosted a server fine.

Return to “General OpenTTD”