[32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

kamnet

Re: [32bpp] GETS - German Extrazoom Train Set (development)

Post by kamnet »

It's not worth the time to try to make things compatible with CZTR unless you're explicitly adding on to their ecosystem. Their stuff is intentionally designed to only work with their own sets, no compatibility with other sets.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Unfortunately, since the development stopped, it is necessary to combine CZTR with other sets, it is not yet 100% playable on its own. Lack of industry, plenty of trucks and other vehicles, especially early ones, and other things. Problems are to be expected, but for now they are only cosmetic in nature.
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

i honestly think that's more an issue of CZTR-sets, which i and the GETS-Team cannot do much about.

I've checked the alignment with various other trainsets and i honestly think that the alignment as it is now is most propably the best i can provide.
Palalet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Palalet »

I like the third option, as we are using CZTR a lot, its providing a lot of 32b assets, but it is missing some cargo types to play nicely with XIS and other industries. I'm less into the blurry pixely 8bit stuff and prefer the nice detailed CZTR stuff :)
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

GETS 0.2.0 is here and we're hopping on the variants-train!

It lies in the nature of the new feature that this new version is completely uncompatible with any other version.
Please do NOT attempt to update you older savegames with this new version. It is guaranteed not to work!

In order to implement variants, the complete grf has been recoded in the last months.
I took the chance and with some help from StarRaid and some guidance i was able to modularize the code into handy chunks of nml.

The buy menu now looks as follows:
variants.png
variants.png (10.67 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
You'll be able to access different consist-lengths from the first menu now, so make sure you'll click the plus when buying a new multiple unit.
Furthermore, most vehicles come in the previously known "build year"-color aswell as "current year" (meaning, livery changes throughout the years).
Further liveries get added throughout time, approximately when they've been introduced in real life.

We've also added a bunch of new trains:
gets020_small.png
gets020_small.png (860.96 KiB) Viewed 3031 times
Besides some re-drawn older sprites, there is some earlier express MU's, talgo-sleeper train in various lenghts, early prussian coaching stock and some container wagons.
Stadler EuroDual works as a real dual-mode engine with different power values for electrified and non-electrified track.

Enjoy!
Attachments
gets020.png
(1.11 MiB) Not downloaded yet
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Absolutely love that set - big thanks.

The only thing that prevents me from making it a standard for my games is that the high-resolution trains do not match well with the lower resolution tracks, which look very blurry and "pixely" in relation to the locos and train cars, so it kind of messes up the visual experience.

Any suggestions for a matching track set?
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

ebla71 wrote: 25 Feb 2023 01:07 Absolutely love that set - big thanks.

The only thing that prevents me from making it a standard for my games is that the high-resolution trains do not match well with the lower resolution tracks, which look very blurry and "pixely" in relation to the locos and train cars, so it kind of messes up the visual experience.

Any suggestions for a matching track set?
I also use this set.
Along with the CZTR set which is normally downloadable in the game.
The set of CZTR trains is slightly larger and therefore the tracks. But they are not blurry ;-) I drive both GETS and CZTR kits. But with each set in a different area :-) Then you can't see the difference so much anymore.

Have a nice day!
wyndbain
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wyndbain »

ebla71 wrote: 25 Feb 2023 01:07 The only thing that prevents me from making it a standard for my games is that the high-resolution trains do not match well with the lower resolution tracks, which look very blurry and "pixely" in relation to the locos and train cars, so it kind of messes up the visual experience.
There are fixes for this, you can go into settings and force 1x sprites force sprite resolotion or something like that. I play with it forced to 1x and since this is a VOXEL set it works, others like CZTR don't do this since its a rendered 3d model.

Hope this helps
Come join the OpenTTD official Discord!!! https://discord.gg/openttd

Image Image

Screenshot of the month winner: September 2022
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

wyndbain wrote: 25 Feb 2023 22:11 There are fixes for this, you can go into settings and force 1x sprites force sprite resolotion or something like that. I play with it forced to 1x and since this is a VOXEL set it works, others like CZTR don't do this since its a rendered 3d model.
Thank you very much - the option that allows you to change this is Settings :arrow: Graphics :arrow: Highest resolution sprites to use which offers a selection of 4x, 2x, and 1x

However, I'm still not 100% satisfied, since 2x is still "too sharp" and 1x" too blurry" Also, 1x seems to lead to some alignment issues relative to the tracks.

My screen resolution is 1920x1080 on a 14'' laptop.

Highest resolution sprites 4x.png
(261.47 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Highest resolution sprites 2x.png
(149.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Highest resolution sprites 1x.png
(112.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

ebla71 wrote: 25 Feb 2023 22:43
wyndbain wrote: 25 Feb 2023 22:11 There are fixes for this, you can go into settings and force 1x sprites force sprite resolotion or something like that. I play with it forced to 1x and since this is a VOXEL set it works, others like CZTR don't do this since its a rendered 3d model.
Thank you very much - the option that allows you to change this is Settings :arrow: Graphics :arrow: Highest resolution sprites to use which offers a selection of 4x, 2x, and 1x

However, I'm still not 100% satisfied, since 2x is still "too sharp" and 1x" too blurry" Also, 1x seems to lead to some alignment issues relative to the tracks.

My screen resolution is 1920x1080 on a 14'' laptop.

Highest resolution sprites 4x.png
Highest resolution sprites 2x.png
Highest resolution sprites 1x.png
It is of course up to you which graphics you use. Just for example, I'll put some pictures with the CZTR set here.

Have a nice day! :-)

2023-02-26_001.jpg
vlaky a koleje CZTR
(574.34 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2023-02-26_002.jpg
elektrifikované koleje CZTR
(516.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
2023-02-26_003.jpg
koleje CZTR - sada GETS
(522.89 KiB) Not downloaded yet
bandit94
Engineer
Engineer

Post by bandit94 »

Quality update as usual!

Newgrf wouldn't load on JGR patchpack 0.49.1, after updating to 0.51 I didn't had any further issue's.

Not really liking the livery system though. I really miss the possibility to change the livery of existing locomotives en emu's trough the "change cargo" option when the train is in the depot.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

I really like the new update, although I had to remove all the trains because after the update a bug came out. One thing that bothers me is the lack in the description whether the train is diesel or electric
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Ah, those in-game graphics changes again :) It's not an error, probably the vehicles ID has been changed. I also miss a proper label.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

Didn't you think about making some set of trucks with nice paint job, I've been playing openttd for years and I miss it terribly, there are a lot of trains and I play on old grf "longvehicle"
pobrane.jpg
pobrane.jpg (9.4 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
pobrane (1).jpg
pobrane (1).jpg (7.7 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
images.jpg
images.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
belgi
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by belgi »

gravelpit wrote: 28 Feb 2023 10:20 I really like the new update, although I had to remove all the trains because after the update a bug came out. One thing that bothers me is the lack in the description whether the train is diesel or electric
Exactly! I had to redo all the trains. And you're right, a description would help a lot if the train is electric or diesel. I also plead...

Have a nice day!
Garlic_Bread42
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Garlic_Bread42 »

Don't want to be that guy, but it's been said that the new version ain't compatible with the older ones. Sorry if you missed that, but that's been mandatory for the switch towards the variant system.
Good news is: future versions will not suffer from that behavior and should be relatively (never say never) compatible to the older ones.

Concerning the alignment: I will not work on making this set compatible with CZTR. As kamnet pointed out, CZTR is an abandonded system of it's own. I (and afaik, the complete team) really don't want to make something that's incompatible with the majority of the ottd-community for the sake of one abandonded set. I can fully understand if this may disappoint you. Otherwise, sources are on github and GPLv2 - so if someone really urges, it should be relatively easy to fork that project and re-align it.

The missaligned sprite spotted by ebla(thanks!) will be corrected in the next update. Also thinking on adding somekind of a label for the traction type. But that's more of a thought at the moment.
gravelpit
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gravelpit »

I've been playing your nice set for some time and I'm wondering why there are no locomotives from DDR in your set such legends as taigatrommel or BR 232, BR 143 and 243
These locomotives are still running today unlike their counterparts from the west :-)
pobrane (2).jpg
pobrane (2).jpg (8.89 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
wyndbain
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wyndbain »

gravelpit wrote: 01 Mar 2023 08:21 I've been playing your nice set for some time and I'm wondering why there are no locomotives from DDR in your set such legends as taigatrommel or BR 232, BR 143 and 243
These locomotives are still running today unlike their counterparts from the west :-)
Fairly sure this has been discussed before but the GDR set will Hopefully be an addon set to the already made GETS standard branch, the odds are we won't start work properly until the Main GETS branch with Western stuff is complete
Come join the OpenTTD official Discord!!! https://discord.gg/openttd

Image Image

Screenshot of the month winner: September 2022
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Since it's increasingly likely that CZTR will never be completed, any effort at compatibility is really pointless.
In addition, it would very likely require changes on their part, which is apparently no longer possible.
Ivanzon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ivanzon »

The point with CZTR (dead or not) is that at the moment it's the only extrazoom rail available... but maybe someone will do another Euro style track set, with extrazoom German signals

For the set in its entirity: What would be the recommended start year? 1890 is the first year that gives you a full set of vehicles, but no express trains yet

Return to “Graphics Development”