jubilant over subways!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

jubilant over subways!

Post by trainrover »

I'm taking to gushing about OTTD subways. I've come up with autonomous routes where each one is to bear four lines. Two lines alternate around one another's skip-stop service while the remaining pair, currently at roughly ⅓ frequency of the regular lines, are limited to the congested stations. All dual tracking except for the inner termini which had to be (drat!!) bumped up to treble-tracking (I'd wanted to practice that Nipponese strain of frugality!).

Resultant saved game shared there...its Route No. 4 is the only subway network that's fully functional so far.

viewtopic.php?p=1250358#p1250358
trainrover wrote: 13 Dec 2021 01:31 oo la! so Route No. 4 if you will is ready. Were its own four lines roughly the same length, then there'd be less bother at setting up and implementing. But that the sequential interplays change each run due to the pairs being short length versus long one, such complexity seems more lifelike ha ha. The only! bugger was having to slow the introductions of the long long-distance line Line 4A X by way of speed limit (27MPH), because pairing the short lines Lines 4B with 4B X to turn around at work order cut-offs so as to free the treble-tracking thereabouts was still yielding the cheeky sneaks ample invasiveness, settlingly sandwiching into (unavoidable) segment gaps.

Clockworks..sheer clockworks. And tweaking the inner (short) termini to no longer accommodate multiple arrivals and even tweaking the start/finish one up to treble from dual tracking.

Cheers, you newGRF authors you, subways, streetcars & buses function superbly !
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: jubilant over subways!

Post by trainrover »

Like I've declared in the introduction to the following replay:
Towards the end even, you get to observe a couple of pushy sneaks getting shoved right back into order: Now that! for me is Effing stellar, hence this jubilance. 🍸
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

Replay of subway Routes ❷, ❹, then ❸ & their 12 operational lines . . .

trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

trainrover wrote: 26 Dec 2021 19:29 Eight subway routes, nowadays all comfortably operated at maximum capacity.

download/file.php?id=220169

And the flower child in me has wordily written a swift guide on timetabling that's proving to be an invaluable work-around that I've only just come to realise...as follows, I nested it in the last paragraph of the introduction to the following videographed replay:
Enveloping towns with subway service eases cross-borough penetrations thereafter. Alternating skip-stop services complemented by half as frequent long-distance services, i.e., skip-skip stop services to unclog the stations that become too congested. After timetabling, juggling the clockwork interplays upon having automatically calculated and set the start time/dates of such a fleet of services must try the patience of many a gamer out there; however, the following, handy work-around then occured to me.

Your introduced fleet of services is already running in a constrained pattern hemmed in by up to as many as three other complementary fleets of services. Having ALL of your running services make it back to the start points on time does, therefore, become MIGHTILY tricky. Yet, stripping the fleet timetables -- the fleet that you're busying timetabling -- of their station dwell times only to re-populate each one right before your leading unit calls at the corresponding station will cause your fleet to, instead, be scurrying back to the start point. And prior to temporarily supressing station dwell times, you must have already fully automatically calculated and programmed the start date/times of your fleet, right! Thereafter, simultaneously minding your complementary start points as well as your leading unit does become, instead, stress-free, because of blissfully timely returns to homebase 🍸 otherwise, enjoy hours & hours of grief at MANUALLY exercising compensatory manœuvres for ALL of your services plying a simple, dual-track network (for the most part) of which any one could be delayed by up to as much as 37 days, representing as much as ⅑ of the duration of the corresponding circuit...............................................................

🍷
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

trainrover wrote: 21 Jun 2023 04:37 Many of the humming cities -- particularly East Anglia ones -- that I had converted by swapping out their supplementary busses with mostly plain subway services brought about their shrinkings (by as much as ⅓), so I'm trying out skip-stop circle-line subway feeders instead by stripping out all if not most bus services, including those that had been feeders. Ely had been the only city that had reached 100K while London's ranking (company town) had sunken to something like the top 20 cities. Anyhow, Ely seems to be on the rebound, Swindon a little bit too, although not so much the rest of the 3rd builds (Armagh, Boston, Peterborough, Lincoln, e.g.). Their empty bus groups remain testaments to their have-been statuses.

I'd depleted my available road vehicles, so other large cities have also had their busses swapped for subways, plus I'm also building more airports. Caen, Derry, and Charleroi--Namur Airport are different, however, in that their subways mirror bus feeders by branching out from their hubs, although I have yet to fully activate their feedings. Norwich is fully switched on, yet its station platforms as opposed to its airport is where crowding seems somewhat problematic.

download/file.php?id=226061
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

trainrover wrote: 29 Jun 2023 03:12 so many tube networks now necessitate their own section within the groups list -- most of the networks skip stops ("SL" [semi-local]) while each of the three networks (lines) around greater Charleroi and Namur skips stops in trios, i.e., each stops every 4th station ("X" [express]); Sligo and Kingston-upon-Hull skip stops in pairs, i.e., each stops every 3rd station ("SX" [semi-express]).

download/file.php?mode=view&id=226225
trainrover
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by trainrover »

A fleet of 41 exo-tubes now empties the county watershed along a 15-stop, inter-district subway line serving 14 stations. One cycle through their shared work orders is effected by four return trips due to the augmented quantity of successive stops each service is (more often) programmed to skip. Tellingly, the remote Leeds satellite terminus -- isolated probably by some mirky swamp -- seems to be the busiest of the line's three hubs. I suspect it just be a matter of some systematic tweaking of particular station dwell(s) so that the subway reapings along the snaky approach to it from Harrogate proper become less advantageous, although a convoy of electrics does shuttle travellers onward to some cross-country, international hovercraft port. Theoretically and while beefed up by its own quartet of interchanging subway stops, the work orders of the strategically wending tube line are designed toward York station raking in half as much more than Harrogate station would with its pair of tube stops which in turn would happen to double Leeds Heights' own intake itself by that one's own terminal metro platform -- go figure...

Peterborough (ottd) had been like those cities that also had their bus feeders swapped out for rudimentary tube service, in that their robustnesses suffered non-stop thereafter too. Upon reboring their (hefty) majorities, the hemmorhaging guttings stabilised thereafter. Peterborough's own Swiss cheese-like fringes persisted especially though. So upon strategically shortening the lengthiest of its 2nd-generation tube tunnels, it was granted an additional dozen trains -- its rolling stock a facsimile of Yorkshire's -- to its 21-strong fleet to accommodate the new (padded) pathings. It takes a while commissioning trio-stops skippers into their independence free of any worry, yet Peterborough's comeback was the instantaneous one, and its mightiness happens to originate in the very latest from a multitude of city or township overhauls -- curds & whey finally patching them holes thereabouts...
Attachments
Anglo Anglers, 16th Feb 3026.sav
(6.07 MiB) Downloaded 26 times

Return to “General OpenTTD”