Not sure if

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Igor
Engineer
Engineer

Not sure if

Post by Igor »

this is the right place for this question so feel free to move it. I just got this and can't figure out how to buy a truck, train, etc.
o.k. figured that out. Now how do you give orders to the trucks, etc. on where to go? I have a coal mine and a power plant that needs the coal and a road to both and the depot as well but the trucks just wander around not picking up the coal or delivering it.
Geo Ghost

Re: Not sure if

Post by Geo Ghost »

Igor wrote: 07 Dec 2021 16:34 this is the right place for this question so feel free to move it. I just got this and can't figure out how to buy a truck, train, etc.
o.k. figured that out. Now how do you give orders to the trucks, etc. on where to go? I have a coal mine and a power plant that needs the coal and a road to both and the depot as well but the trucks just wander around not picking up the coal or delivering it.
Hey igor. Welcome to the forum and the world of Transport Tycoon =)

For orders, when you click the vehicle and open it's box, you'll see some buttons down the right-side of the box. They'll be an arrow which are the "Orders" function. Click on that, and you can tell the vehicle what you want it to do.
In this case, "Go to" button, then click the loading bay you placed by the coal plant. Then do the same for the 'drop-off' loading bay at the power station.
You'll then have two stations listed, and it'll repeat those orders :)
You can also select the coal station stop by clicking on it, and clicking "full load" to make sure it only leaves when it's loaded 100%.

Another tip is if you want to have a number of vehicles, hold Ctrl and click 'clone vehicle' whilst it's in the depot. It'll make a copy of that vehicle, and also copy the orders for it too! :D

Have a look on the TT wiki for some little tutorials and tips. There's a lot of useful things.
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/
https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Orders
I remember when I first played the original game on Dos back in the early 90s (ouch!), it took me nearly an hour to find out how to start the train :mrgreen:

Enjoy!
Igor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Igor »

I'll give it a try, thanks.
Igor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Igor »

O.K. when I click on orders and the go to button then put the little white square on the depot and click but nothing happens. The truck just keeps wandering around.
Last edited by Igor on 11 Dec 2021 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Igor wrote: 11 Dec 2021 17:05 O.K. when I click on orders and the go to button then put the little white square on the depot and click but nothing happens. The truck just keeps wandering around.
Your vehicle needs at least two orders at different stations if you want it to do anything useful.

You will also need to build a station at the coal mine and the power plant.
Igor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Igor »

I have depots at both places. But no way to give orders.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Igor wrote: 15 Dec 2021 12:40 I have depots at both places. But no way to give orders.
A depot is not a station.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Also see this tutorial:

https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Manual/Tutorial/Buses

That one explains buses, but trucks work the same, except that you need to build truck loading bays instead of bus stations.
Igor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Igor »

When I said depots I was actually refering to truck loading bays.

Return to “General OpenTTD”