How to update only selected NewGRFs

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

How to update only selected NewGRFs

Post by ebla71 »

I know this is not exactly for the everyday game experience but suppose I know what I am doing and what might be the consequences:

In the NewGRF settings there is a button "Upgrade" to check for and install newer versions of your selected NewGRFs. This, however, upgrades all NewGRFs installed.

If there are some that behave strange after an upgrade while others are ok to be exchanged by a newer version - how can I upgrade only a selected few of the NewGRFs?

Not via any menues, I guess. What else - download separately and put in the proper folder? Will the game then always automatically load the latest version?
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: How to update only selected NewGRFs

Post by Taschi »

When updating NewGRFs, the old versions will be kept anyway, and will remain active in all your old savegames. So the risk of updates breaking your running game is next to zero.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

additionally, there is a hidden setting to show old versions of installed newgrfs when setting up a new game.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Taschi wrote: 17 Nov 2021 00:24 When updating NewGRFs, the old versions will be kept anyway, and will remain active in all your old savegames. So the risk of updates breaking your running game is next to zero.
Eddi wrote: 17 Nov 2021 03:28 additionally, there is a hidden setting to show old versions of installed newgrfs when setting up a new game.
Thank you very much for your suggestions, which are indeed helpful but not exactly solve my particular problem, as I want to continue a game with say NewGRF X updated since it applies fine while not updating NewGRF Y since it messes up the game.

That other old savegames will not be affected is something I am aware of, but did not know about the 2nd option to start a new game with old NewGRF while there is already a new version installed - is that documented somewhere?

In the case in question I want to activate the most recent update to PolRoad https://bananas.openttd.org/package/new ... 1:28+00:00 while excluding
ufiby wrote: 12 Nov 2021 19:41U&RaTT 0.6 viewtopic.php?p=1249575#p1249575
and the two other associated packages as they mess up the graphics (or the combination with PolRoad)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

ebla71 wrote: 17 Nov 2021 04:27 Thank you very much for your suggestions, which are indeed helpful but not exactly solve my particular problem, as I want to continue a game with say NewGRF X updated since it applies fine while not updating NewGRF Y since it messes up the game.
In the case in question I want to activate the most recent update to PolRoad https://bananas.openttd.org/package/new ... 1:28+00:00 while excluding viewtopic.php?p=1249575#p1249575 and the two other associated packages as they mess up the graphics (or the combination with PolRoad)
You can delete old newgrf, it would force loading compatible newgrf.
BTW, new PolRoad have custom roads, but it is bad idea to use it parallel to other road set, you can just disable PolRoad roads via newgrf settings.
Of course assuming that none where used in game.
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Hey elba
The problem you are writing about a while ago was reported on Github #8847
Taschi wrote: 17 Nov 2021 00:24 When updating NewGRFs, the old versions will be kept anyway, and will remain active in all your old savegames. So the risk of updates breaking your running game is next to zero.
That's not true. NewGRF update in the current game, but even before it starts, it can completely ruin it. Very often new versions are not compatible with the old ones and limiting the possibility of such an update does not work in game - this problem has also been reported #8846
McZapkie wrote: 17 Nov 2021 10:55 You can delete old newgrf, it would force loading compatible newgrf.
A bit onerous solution considering the last change that added an identification number before the add-ons name. I can type in the name of an add-on and the search engine won't show me everything anyway, so I have to browse all 1000+ add-ons to find that one.

Currently, the only reasonable way I know is to enable the view of all versions of add-ons - in the configuration file openttd.cfg in the [gui] part you need to set: newgrf_show_old_versions = true.
Then you need to manually remove the selected add-on and add a newer version to the list. If it's a compatible version, everything should be fine.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

LaChupacabra wrote: 17 Nov 2021 13:24 Currently, the only reasonable way I know is to enable the view of all versions of add-ons - in the configuration file openttd.cfg in the [gui] part you need to set: newgrf_show_old_versions = true.
Then you need to manually remove the selected add-on and add a newer version to the list. If it's a compatible version, everything should be fine.
Thank you very much - this was exactly what I was looking for :D

As far as I can tell up to now, this way Polroad updated correctly from v52 to v54

It would be nice to have the option to switch the display of NewGRFs (only most recent vs. all) in the game or even better the two mentioned git issues resolved

Return to “General OpenTTD”