How to locate the source/cause of a sound effect

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

racketteer
Engineer
Engineer

How to locate the source/cause of a sound effect

Post by racketteer »

Hi,

I'm pretty new to OpenTTD. It has been a lot of fun to play with and try some of the NewGRF's. For the last few weeks I've been using US Town Names 1.0, NARS 2.52, and Total Town Replacement Set 3.14 on OpenTTD 1.11.2.

Today, I've started hearing "bomb" sound effects, like when I clear terrain, but I'm not doing it. In my present game I only have trains. No planes, boats, etc. My train list doesn't have anything in red or missing numbers, so I don't think it is a crash (if crashes even use the same sound effect). My settings for Sound->Disasters/Accidents is On, but Disasters/accidents -> Disasters is Off. Is there a way to get OpenTTD to show me or highlight/flash where on the map sounds are happening, or where the most recent sound came from? (Maybe my cities are demolishing their buildings? That would be fun to see).

Thanks
racketteer
Engineer
Engineer

Re: How to locate the source/cause of a sound effect

Post by racketteer »

Nothing like post a question to have an answer turn up...

I found what was happening. It was a double boom, and occurs when a city demolishes a tower to create a new building. I haven't seen the explosion, but I have seen the excavator-and-dump trucks aftermath. I got lucky - I was zoomed in on an area planning something, heard the double boom, and saw the result. I missed the explosion though.

My basic question still stands. Other than lucking out as I just did, is there a way to get a visual indicator (e.g., big flashing something-or-other) that corresponds to the source of an audible?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Usually towns building doesn't cause any sounds at all, and I don't think NewGRF town buildings can control sound effect playback either.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

The only time i've heard that sound outside of the regular demolishing was when an industry NewGRF used it for periodic industry sounds (like the sawmill sound). however that was many years ago with the PBI grf, i think
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

racketteer wrote: 13 Nov 2021 02:39 Today, I've started hearing "bomb" sound effects, ...
What you are experiencing is a 'feature' of TTRS; there are buildings that implode (including making noise), then they are rebuilt ...
Attachments
TTRS - Builing Implosions.png
TTRS - Builing Implosions.png (137.37 KiB) Viewed 903 times

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”