Question about Licenses

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Fedello
Engineer
Engineer

Question about Licenses

Post by Fedello »

Greetings!

I'm rediscovering OpenTTD after more than ten years and I'm looking on how to make NewGRFs with NML and so on. I've been checking BaNaNaS too and I have a doubt. I haven't seen MIT License as an available option for the uploads. I'm not really into legal stuff, so I'm not sure if it can be used or no. Also, reading throught the GNU Licenses, I understand that I have to add to every source file (.nml, .lang...) this text(customizing it)?
<one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it does.>
Copyright (C) <year> <name of author>
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or
(at your option) any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program. If not, see <https://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.
Thanks in advance and glad to see this game is still alive and has a lot to offer :D
kamnet

Re: Question about Licenses

Post by kamnet »

If you feel the MIT license best fits your work, you're free to use it. I can't think of any project here that's used it, though. In Bananas if it's not listed, just list it as Custom.

As far a GPL goes, the license requires that if you release a project under the license, or use assets from another GPL project inyours, that you make the source code available to those who ask. It's up to you to decide how this gets distributed, but many people find it convenient to just upload it to a repository of some sort (sourceforge, github, or even just posting the files here) that way they don't have to be personally asked every time somebody wants to use or modify the code.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

And yes, the general approach is that you put a notice at the top of every (textual) source file to indicate what license that file is covered by. With short licenses like MIT, it's common to paste the full license text in, and with longer ones like GPL it's more common to put a notice referencing where to find the full license text.
Fedello
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Fedello »

Thanks! I've been reading a bit more about the licenses.. I think I'll stick to GPL and upload it to github & BaNaNaS!

Return to “OpenTTD Development”