serious bug: cities stops accepting food

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

serious bug: cities stops accepting food

Post by andreasaspenberg »

i have been playing subtropic and one of the cities just stopped accepting food. it will not accept food anywhere and can as a result not grow. it is not a new bug but, it is serious when cities will just refuse to grow.
Attachments
Narhella Transport, 2219-10-23.sav
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: serious bug: cities stops accepting food

Post by odisseus »

Could it be that some of the buildings that accept food have been overbuilt with buildings that don't?
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

This is mostly a game design rather than a bug. Cargo is accepted by houses so if houses change so can acceptance.
To compensate for that small towns (<=60 pop in tropic) don't require food even if they say they do.
Also, you can always circumvent cargo growth requirements by funding buildings.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

it is certainly a bug. in game`s source code, there is a switch that makes towns stop accepting a cargo once it have had enough(goods, soda, sweets). due to an oversight, that switch also applies to food. the best solution would be to remove that switch for food.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

andreasaspenberg wrote: 19 Sep 2021 10:21 it is certainly a bug. in game`s source code, there is a switch that makes towns stop accepting a cargo once it have had enough(goods, soda, sweets). due to an oversight, that switch also applies to food. the best solution would be to remove that switch for food.
Can you point out what exact line of code you are talking about? I know town growth code pretty well but I've no idea what switch do you mean.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

this is most certainly a game design thing, not a bug. houses accept either goods or food, never both. so as the towns grow more houses that accept goods, houses that accept food are pushed further and further outside the town center, and stations that once accepted food tend to not do that anymore.

you have to either move the stations, or expand their catchment area.
andreasaspenberg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

i have not studied the source code, nor am i a programmer but, i have been developing games that does not require coding. i have been playing transport tycoon since the 1990s so, i know the game well. the switch however is not in the town growth code. it is not a part of town growth, it is a part of transportation. water and toys is shipped straight to "industries" while food, goods, sweets and soda is shipped directly to cities. cities eventually stops accepting them, which is ok for those cargoes but, it is not ok when it comes to food, as cities needs that to grow. in my game of course: the bug have been worsened because of watertreatmentplant.grf which fills all cities up with water towers.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Well, sorry to disappoint, but you don't know the game well enough to boast about it. Cities in OpenTTD don't accept cargoes, houses do. And, in fact, even in your game if you cover enough houses you can still get the station to accept food.
mauried
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mauried »

As a side question, I found that in some towns that wont accept food you can fund an industry that can be built in the town that will accept food.
Funding a shopping centre will do this.
Theres not much info about this industry though and I just wanted to know whether sending food to a shopping centre will also help to make the town grow, like sending food to houses.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

Yes, it will. Delivering food to any of the town's industries counts as delivering food to the town itself.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

from the game mechanics point of view, you're delivering food to stations, not industries or houses. so as long as you have a station that is named after the town (renaming doesn't count), it will work. the houses that accept food can even belong to a totally different town
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Eddi wrote: 26 Sep 2021 22:29 from the game mechanics point of view, you're delivering food to stations, not industries or houses. so as long as you have a station that is named after the town (renaming doesn't count), it will work. the houses that accept food can even belong to a totally different town
Delivering food to a station won't do anything unless there are houses or industry that accept it. But, yeah, vanilla and bad citybuilder gamescripts can be exploited by building station in one town and walking it to the other.
CazadorSirenas
Engineer
Engineer

Post by CazadorSirenas »

This is happening to me right now. I'm playing in Toyland and suddenly nobody accepts soda anymore. Just started the '90, have nine cities/towns on game, towns are +60k people and cities +100k.

I had to change my trucks orders to "unload and leave empty", even if there's no profit, so at least they're not rolling around the same cargo back and forth :?

Which houses exactly are the ones who accept which cargo, somebody knows? It would be useful to know...
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

CazadorSirenas wrote: 04 Dec 2021 12:58 Which houses exactly are the ones who accept which cargo, somebody knows? It would be useful to know...
Here is reference table: https://newgrf-specs.tt-wiki.net/wiki/N ... properties
Minus sign in goods acceptance mean that these are not goods, but another cargo (in case of tropic or toyland).

Also blue (?) sign is useful to check tile acceptance.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

general rule of thumb: city centers don't accept food, outskirts of cities accept food.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”