Suggestion to archive and lock some obsolete subforums

Voice your opinions, concerns and suggestions on how to make the Transport Tycoon Forums better.

Moderator: General Forums Moderators

Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Suggestion to archive and lock some obsolete subforums

Post by Taschi »

There are some subforums on this board that pertain to games and/or projects that are pretty much dead. These subforums often haven't seen a single post in years, and when they get any interaction it's usually a spambot. I propose closing these subforums and moving them to the "Archived Forums" section at the bottom of the board's frontpage, which would also unclutter said frontpage.

To be precise, the subforums I'd like to see archived are the following:
  • Everything in the "Transport Tycoon" section, except "Screenshots, Scenarios and Saved Games", which should be moved to the OpenTTD section
  • The entire "TTDPatch" section, as TTPatch has been pretty much entirely superseded by OpenTTD anyway, and when people post in that section, it's usually by mistake
  • The entire "Transport Empire" section, as that project has not been active for around a decade
  • Most of the "Other Projects and Games" section. "Simutrans" and "Railroad Tycoon" can stay, they're both actual finished games and have fan bases (although I'm pretty sure Simutrans have their own forum and the subforum here is a wasteland). All other games in this section seem to never have released anything playable and are, at least in my estimation, unlikely to ever do so.
My reasoning for suggesting to close the Transport Tycoon and TTPatch forums is mostly rooted in the fact that OpenTTD has pretty much entirely gobbled up the player base of those games. I know that people do occasionally post TT Classic and TTD screenshots in the screenshot forum, but those are the exception rather than the rule and you could just put "TT / TTD / TTPatch screenshots are also welcome" in the forum description. And of course there's a lot of Classic TT / TTD / TTD Patch content in the screenshot subforum but I don't think that would be a huge issue, either.

For the other subforums I've listed, well, they're ghost towns anyway. P1SIM, at least, seems to still be in active development, or at least the author has tweeted some screenshots in the last 12 months, so I can see why some people might want to keep the forum anyway. But in the case of "Transport Empire", you can't tell me that this project is still going in any meaningful way. There's of course room for discussion on where the line between an active project and a dead project should be drawn, but I think it is clear that this line exists and at least some of the "Other Projects and Games" section is quite clearly over that line.
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Suggestion to archive and lock some obsolete subforums

Post by odisseus »

Why not keep those subforums as honeypot traps for spam bots?
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Suggestion to archive and lock some obsolete subforums

Post by orudge »

There was a reorganisation some years ago to put the most used forums higher up the list (so OpenTTD supplanted TTDPatch, basically). Spammers aside, I’m not sure there’s much benefit in closing and archiving the other forums - and certainly interesting things do occasionally get posted in the General TT forum, for instance.

Return to “Forum Suggestions and Feedback”