Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

paritcl3s
Engineer
Engineer

Asymmetrical Town Growth

Post by paritcl3s »

The expanse city layout follows street corners fully,
It would be nice to have a setting optimising spread.
Growth would be more natural.

Could be listed under local authority under city planning or something.

Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Asymmetrical Town Growth

Post by Eddi »

and which part of this is supposed to be "natural"?

also, keep in mind that we're talking about cities here, which are by definition the opposite of nature.
paritcl3s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paritcl3s »

Rural communities are bound by geography, people who buy land construct according to intuition.
Large open spaces are core in human inner workings.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I don't know where you live but where I live, most towns are next to a road.
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

In rural areas, a farmer's house can be built anywhere on his plot of land. It doesn't have to be immediately next to the road. (Same applies to estate houses.) Of course, the plot of land itself has to be attached to a road at least on one side. IIRC there is a houses add-on, in which the smallest house (a cottage) occupies 2x2 tiles.

If you want the towns to grow in a more natural way, check out this add-on: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=87011
justaplayer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by justaplayer »

there are towns in southern italy which are actually built in such an assymetrical way but it would be unrealistic if every town in the world would be this way
paritcl3s
Engineer
Engineer

Post by paritcl3s »

Taschi wrote: 03 Aug 2021 20:41 I don't know where you live but where I live, most towns are next to a road.
I live in a Tourist Capital of 3 million people, but this is a video game. It would be a nice option & help with pimping out towns.
odisseus wrote: 05 Aug 2021 12:52 In rural areas, a farmer's house can be built anywhere on his plot of land. It doesn't have to be immediately next to the road. (Same applies to estate houses.) Of course, the plot of land itself has to be attached to a road at least on one side. IIRC there is a houses add-on, in which the smallest house (a cottage) occupies 2x2 tiles.

If you want the towns to grow in a more natural way, check out this add-on: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=87011
O.k cool, looking forward to trying. ^
justaplayer wrote: 05 Aug 2021 19:04 there are towns in southern italy which are actually built in such an assymetrical way but it would be unrealistic if every town in the world would be this way

I would suggest the turning on/off of a toggle to change town density depending.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”