[OTTD] Hokkaido (北海道)

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
The_Terminator
Engineer
Engineer

[OTTD] Hokkaido (北海道)

Post by The_Terminator »

This 4096x4096 scenario covers the entire of the northern Japanese island of Hokkaido. Almost every city, town, village and hamlet has been included (including many historical settlements which no longer exist), and industries have all been hand-placed. This scenario is greatly improved compared to my previous attempt, with more accurate rivers and coastlines, better industries, and many, many more towns than before.

北海道全土を再現したマップです。札幌や函館などの大都市から、一番小さい集落までがマップに含まれていて、工業もすべて手動で設置されています。札幌市内に通勤路線を作ったり、山を越えて帯広や釧路へ路線を伸ばしたり、三井芦別鉄道からふるさと銀河線まで懐かしき路線を再現したり、色んな遊び方が出来ます。

With dense urban areas in the south and west, rolling plains and dramatic coastlines in the north and east, and imposing mountain ranges in the middle, this map offers a lot of variety. You can recreate every real-life historical railway in Hokkaido if you wish, or build a completely fictional network of your own

Minimap:
[+] Spoiler

This map uses FIRS 3 Extreme industries, which are all hand-placed and representative of real life. In general, primary industries tend to be spread out across the more rural areas in the north and East, while secondary industries are concentrated in more densely populated areas. Hokkaido is rich in coal, and many of the biggest coal mines are present in this map - as in real life, though, they are high up in the mountains, so getting it out will not be easy. You will also find a lot of agriculture (especially dairy), timber, and fisheries.

Screenshots:
[+] Spoiler
  • I recommend that using the attached TIAS NewGRF, which I have modified to work in the Alpine climate. The scenario will work fine without it, or using the one on BaNaNaS, but you won't get any of the excellent TIAS trains.
  • I haven't included them, but I also recommend the Nagoya Area Train Set, JP+ Set, and JP Secret Trains Set. They are all excellent.
  • I have had issues where tiny hamlets will randomly grow into massive cities without any player intervention. I think I have fixed most of it, but please let me know if you spot this happening anywhere else.
添付されているNewGRFは必須ではないのですが、このバージョンを使わないと含まれている電車も利用出来なくなりますのでお気を付けください。街の名前などが全部ローマ字になっていることもご了承ください。

NOTE: This scenario requires JGR's Patch Pack v0.41.0 or later! It wasn't supposed to, but I accidentally overwrote the file using the wrong client, and there was no way to fix it. Sorry!
Attachments
tias (Modified for all climates).grf
TIAS train set, modified to work in Alpine climate. Source code available on request.
(2.31 MiB) Downloaded 214 times
Hokkaido 2.scn
Hokkaido Scenario file [4096x4096]
(3.58 MiB) Downloaded 265 times
Fairyfloss
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: [OTTD] Hokkaido (北海道)

Post by Fairyfloss »

Just want to say, I've been loving this map! Having a real-world map with real-world industries is a lot of fun to play on; looking forward to seeing whether or not you'll end up making more maps like this!
The_Terminator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by The_Terminator »

Fairyfloss wrote: 24 Jun 2021 12:18 Just want to say, I've been loving this map! Having a real-world map with real-world industries is a lot of fun to play on; looking forward to seeing whether or not you'll end up making more maps like this!
Thank you! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it. I would like to do some more at some point, but probably nothing quite this big again. Filling out all the towns took a lot longer than I'd expected!

If you do want to play another similar scenario in the meantime though, you'll probably like my Mount Fuji map, which has similarly hand-placed industries.
thiagofjv
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thiagofjv »

Thanks for your hard work.
I really liked this scenario!
JoaoVictorDaijo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by JoaoVictorDaijo »

I'm eager to try this scenario but when I load it says the savegame is made with a newer version, am I missing something? I even tried the nightly build of OpenTTD.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

JoaoVictorDaijo wrote: 21 Oct 2021 19:53 I'm eager to try this scenario but when I load it says the savegame is made with a newer version, am I missing something? I even tried the nightly build of OpenTTD.
As it says in the original post, you need to play with JGR's patch pack. The scenario won't work with any vanilla version of OpenTTD.

You can download an up-to-date version of JGR's patch pack in the first post of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73469
JoaoVictorDaijo
Engineer
Engineer

Taschi wrote: 21 Oct 2021 20:14
JoaoVictorDaijo wrote: 21 Oct 2021 19:53 I'm eager to try this scenario but when I load it says the savegame is made with a newer version, am I missing something? I even tried the nightly build of OpenTTD.
As it says in the original post, you need to play with JGR's patch pack. The scenario won't work with any vanilla version of OpenTTD.

You can download an up-to-date version of JGR's patch pack in the first post of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=73469
Oh, I thought JGR's patch pack was just a newgrf file. I'll check it.
JoaoVictorDaijo
Engineer
Engineer

Just wanted to update that I love this scenario! I was going crazy after a Japanese scenario with FIRS and this one is great. The only issue is that it uses JGR so it's harder to set a server compared to the latest official version, if this scenario was released for the base game, it would be perfect because I could easily play with my friends.

Thanks for the great scenario :shock: .
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

JoaoVictorDaijo wrote: 23 Oct 2021 18:58 The only issue is that it uses JGR so it's harder to set a server compared to the latest official version
The next release of JGRPP will probably include the new multiplayer networking code.
The_Terminator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by The_Terminator »

JoaoVictorDaijo wrote: 23 Oct 2021 18:58 Just wanted to update that I love this scenario! I was going crazy after a Japanese scenario with FIRS and this one is great. The only issue is that it uses JGR so it's harder to set a server compared to the latest official version, if this scenario was released for the base game, it would be perfect because I could easily play with my friends.

Thank you! And yeah, I'm really sorry about the JGR requirement. It was a total accident, and if there was a way to change it back to work with vanilla OTTD I would, but sadly that seems to be impossible.
JoaoVictorDaijo
Engineer
Engineer

The_Terminator wrote: 24 Oct 2021 14:00
JoaoVictorDaijo wrote: 23 Oct 2021 18:58 Just wanted to update that I love this scenario! I was going crazy after a Japanese scenario with FIRS and this one is great. The only issue is that it uses JGR so it's harder to set a server compared to the latest official version, if this scenario was released for the base game, it would be perfect because I could easily play with my friends.

Thank you! And yeah, I'm really sorry about the JGR requirement. It was a total accident, and if there was a way to change it back to work with vanilla OTTD I would, but sadly that seems to be impossible.
That's fine I found your other scenario Mt. Fuji, it looks really fun. You should try to add your scenarios to OpenTTD Online Content, we lack Japanese scenarios with FIRS, the only one was outdate (using version 0.7).
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

After all, there are at least two in the offer to download, where there is basically no industry. Japan (4096 * 4096) and Tokaido. I have already written to the author Kanto about the old Firs :D

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”