[OTTD] [Real Cars / 32bpp],[Real Houses / 32bpp] and [Real Fences / 32bpp] Development Thread (WIP)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD] [Real Cars / 32bpp],[Real Houses / 32bpp] and [Real Fences / 32bpp] Development Thread (WIP)

Post by Zley_Muffle »

Its nice to have an architect on the job!

As we have said, we use reduced scale (80%) to squeeze just a bit more into available space. We do it by modelling it in real scale (we use building plans or photographic reference) with one side of a tile being 15,5 meters long, then rescale it so its 12,4m long. Its surprising how well that works.

Nice comparison side by side, it looks similar, but there is a difference. In first row the last house on the left with orange-tiled roof is the only one that is not rescaled down - it was first house in our house set and I used to learn basics with town sets. Therefore its not good example to use for comparison, but there is no way you could know that (in fact nobody except us from CZTR Team knows that... probably). Its properly scaled variant is a tad smaller with round pool with kids playing in it.

Fun fact - the building itself and the fence around was modelled in 3D software, but all its 26 variants were hand drawn by me (difference in windows, front yard, garden, chimneys, roof tiles and that tiny swimming pool you mentioned). I would love to say its a homage to all hand drawn sets and that it could serve as an example that beautiful 32bpp graphics with extrazoom can be hand drawn... but since then I learned how to use Rhino3D (btw what do you use?) and everything made since then is either 3D or Photoshop, so its was more like necessity than intention.

Back to comparing.

Difference pops up when you put that two storey buildings side by side. Those in you examples are houses that are 100+ years old and oh boy, they built it quite large. The house on the left is old elementary school, height from floor to ceiling would be at least 3,5 meters, while it would take at least another half of a meter for the floor of the next storey. Also there will be fully fledged attic. I am looking forward how your houses would look if you scale them down a bit, especially if you start modelling larger structures.

It would be great if it were possible to have larger or differently shaped town buildings than 1x2 or 2x2 tiles...

As for what kamnet wrote - well, yeah. When planning layouts for our industry set I realised that fully. Here is an example of power plant I used as a reference:

And here it is "layoutized" for OTTD purposes:

Personally I would love to have huge industries, not only would it fit snugly with the rest of our sets, but also the economy of player companies would probably improve via enforced distancing between industries. There is only downfall that it would require an ARMY of 3D modellers at my disposal and that I do not have ;(
Attachments
Elektrárna_Mělník.JPG
(5.12 MiB) Not downloaded yet
elektrárna.png
(894.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: [OTTD] [Real Cars / 32bpp],[Real Houses / 32bpp] and [Real Fences / 32bpp] Development Thread (WIP)

Post by temporal8 »

Zley_Muffle wrote: 31 Oct 2020 09:37 Its nice to have an architect on the job!

As we have said, we use reduced scale (80%) to squeeze just a bit more into available space. We do it by modelling it in real scale (we use building plans or photographic reference) with one side of a tile being 15,5 meters long, then rescale it so its 12,4m long. Its surprising how well that works.
That is a valuable piece of information to see how I adapt my set to cz, the question is not the measures apparently but the move to openttd, in my case the renders that come out of 3dsmax I reduce them by 75%, that confirms the famous 5% that I told Stefino yesterday before having this talk with you.
Nice comparison side by side, it looks similar, but there is a difference. In first row the last house on the left with orange-tiled roof is the only one that is not rescaled down - it was first house in our house set and I used to learn basics with town sets. Therefore its not good example to use for comparison, but there is no way you could know that (in fact nobody except us from CZTR Team knows that... probably). Its properly scaled variant is a tad smaller with round pool with kids playing in it.
Nobody told me, I am working all day with houses and measurements, I have a trained eye.
Difference pops up when you put that two storey buildings side by side. Those in you examples are houses that are 100+ years old and oh boy, they built it quite large. The house on the left is old elementary school, height from floor to ceiling would be at least 3,5 meters, while it would take at least another half of a meter for the floor of the next storey. Also there will be fully fledged attic.
Precisely, in modern constructions I use the height between floors of 2.60 meters and slabs between floors (finished floor level) of 20 cm, those 2-story houses in my set are exactly 3 or 3.20 meters high because they are made in the style ( but flattened a bit) of the house where I live. (old house with a gabled tile roof and 3.50 meters between floors).
I am looking forward how your houses would look if you scale them down a bit, especially if you start modelling larger structures.
The idea is to make a test reducing everything a little, as I told Stefino the past days, I suspect that there is a difference of 5% in the move to openttd.

In CZ the higher the buildings, the more distorted the scale for the lower side, Yesterday I modeled a tall building, I am going to have to put it side by side with CZ to see where I am going.
btw what do you use?
For speed modeling (Houses and buildings only) I use Autodesk Revit, the program that I use every day in my work, that's why I can produce so much in such a short time, then I pass the model to 3dsmax to render and from there to Photoshop. Other things, not architecture, are modeled in 3dsmax.
As for what kamnet wrote - well, yeah. When planning layouts for our industry set I realised that fully. Here is an example of power plant I used as a reference:
Precisely, I see that industry render and it seems totally out of proportion, more toon style than real (please do not take it the wrong way) Personally I prefer realism, I know the problem of long vehicles and curves, but what is the point of doing a great job of 3d modeling or texturing and then deforming it and leaving it with unreal proportions? It is precisely one of the things that I do not like about the original Opentdd and it is what I am looking to change.

About internet plans, I'm honest, they are a disaster, they generally have spaces badly related, with flow problems and above all with absurd measures.

Anyway, none of this matters, it's just talk, at the end of the day what matters is that both sets look good together, I'm going to take into account the data you told me and see what I can do.

Have a good weekend!
Greetings.
Real Projects 32bpp releases:

Real Semi Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90996
Real Houses Eyecandy Objects 32bp: viewtopic.php?t=90767
Real Ships 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90733
Real Industries 32bpp: viewtopic.php?t=90183
Real Houses Townset 32bp: viewtopic.php?p=1254605
Real Stations 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1255635
Real Cars 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249244
Real Vehicles 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1253581
Real Bus 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1249245
Real Trucks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1254468
Real Parks 32bpp: viewtopic.php?p=1250255
Argentina World Cup 2022 Champions Bus 32bpp viewtopic.php?p=1257026
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by perverted monkey »

Zley_Muffle wrote: 31 Oct 2020 09:37 It would be great if it were possible to have larger or differently shaped town buildings than 1x2 or 2x2 tiles...
Discussed in the past. Nobody got into the trouble to create a patch. So currently the only available option is to code them as industries. :(
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

First test after some changes, seems good. 8)
comp4.jpg
comp4.jpg (116.14 KiB) Viewed 5435 times

stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

temporal8 wrote: 01 Nov 2020 11:29 First test after some changes, seems good. 8)
Very good :)
Zley_Muffle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zley_Muffle »

So currently the only available option is to code them as industries.
I am planning to take advantage of it.
First test after some changes, seems good.
Indeed - and its not deformed so it looks unrealistic. I am really curious what you will do next for your set, personally I would love to have you on the team :oops:
PowerN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PowerN »

Im definitely going the route for full temporal8s + CZ replacement on my OTTD :)

Do you still take suggestions on cars or are you done with that part? :)
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

New Update, I´m working in some 3 storey apartments following the same style of the houses, they come in 3 different colors to be able to combine them and make different designs.

Indeed - and its not deformed so it looks unrealistic. I am really curious what you will do next for your set, personally I would love to have you on the team :oops:
Thank you very much man for your compliments, at the moment I have my own plans but who knows for the future, you guys are a very talented team and it is really a pleasure that you like my work.
PowerN wrote: 02 Nov 2020 18:57 Im definitely going the route for full temporal8s + CZ replacement on my OTTD :)

Do you still take suggestions on cars or are you done with that part? :)
At the moment I'm with buildings but tell me and if I see it possible maybe I'll add it.

Attachments
Saningworth Transport, 19 Nov 2004#1.png
(4.14 MiB) Not downloaded yet

PowerN
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PowerN »

You are doing an amazing job with them I have to say.

Well I would be thrilled to see my car in the game, as everyone would probably like to see theirs :D

temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

Little update, I'm working on some tall buildings, the 1x1 or 1x2 tiles restriction... bothers me a bit but that's what it is ...

PowerN wrote: 10 Nov 2020 15:44 You are doing an amazing job with them I have to say.

Well I would be thrilled to see my car in the game, as everyone would probably like to see theirs :D
Thanks, I feel identified, my beginnings in 3d modeling were 20 years ago modeling my own car for a game and after that I spent many years modeling cars for different games.
Attachments
Real Buildings.png
(16.61 MiB) Not downloaded yet

temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

New update, working in some old Buildings.

Attachments
old-buildings-wip.png
old-buildings-wip.png (723.36 KiB) Viewed 2291 times

perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Nice! Since they are old any thoughts of also adding the same ones using bricks instead of the painted walls? (Dunno how the renders will look though.)
stefino_cz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by stefino_cz »

Very nice :) Maybe one tip for you - be careful with the roof textures. Int he last picture there are stripes on the roof and it makes the roof not so nice as it could be. Yes- it is a problem to find texture which is suitable for repeatable usings on the surface :)
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

perverted monkey wrote: 15 Nov 2020 03:48 Nice! Since they are old any thoughts of also adding the same ones using bricks instead of the painted walls? (Dunno how the renders will look though.)
The bricks are not noticeable from afar, only with maximum zoom, I prefer something that can be seen even from afar.
stefino_cz wrote: 15 Nov 2020 06:41 Very nice :) Maybe one tip for you - be careful with the roof textures. Int he last picture there are stripes on the roof and it makes the roof not so nice as it could be. Yes- it is a problem to find texture which is suitable for repeatable usings on the surface :)
Yes I know, it is a placeholder texture,
There is no problem with finding textures, it is possible to create a new one with Pixplant or similar.

Anyway I think I am a prisoner of the of the first houses style, with bright and flat colors, I was seeing in the game that perhaps the combination is out of tune and it is important that everything maintains the same style.

When I see the image I think that the best way is to follow the existing style, re-texture these buildings with the same colors that I used for the houses and the 3-story apartments that I did previously, it will be the only way that the whole set retain a visual unit, It will be less realistic perhaps but more pleasing to the eye.

Attachments
uhm.png
(4.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet

perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

temporal8 wrote: 15 Nov 2020 15:52 Anyway I think I am a prisoner of the of the first houses style, with bright and flat colors, I was seeing in the game that perhaps the combination is out of tune and it is important that everything maintains the same style.

When I see the image I think that the best way is to follow the existing style, re-texture these buildings with the same colors that I used for the houses and the 3-story apartments that I did previously, it will be the only way that the whole set retain a visual unit, It will be less realistic perhaps but more pleasing to the eye.
I noticed that too, but I thought that those are the poor people's :( old apartments. More affluent OTTD citizens :mrgreen: prefer the houses of the suburbs. :lol:
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

perverted monkey wrote: 16 Nov 2020 05:16 I noticed that too, but I thought that those are the poor people's :( old apartments. More affluent OTTD citizens :mrgreen: prefer the houses of the suburbs. :lol:
You gave me an idea, in fact I had already designed 2 houses in bad neighborhoods when I made the first set of houses, maybe I can make the version with bright and flat colors, and also the run-down version for bad neighborhoods.
houses.jpg
houses.jpg (142.31 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
The fact is that the houses I made before, including the 3-story apartments, are for the suburbs, bedroom towns, but now I need construction for the city center and I am thinking of a mix of tall buildings, commercial area and housing. The latter are more related to what can be seen in countries like Sweden, yes, maybe I am mixing styles but this type of construction, similar to that seen in swedish houses grf allows you to build a city in a fast way without having to make a lot of different 3d models.
Sweden.jpg
Sweden.jpg (205.75 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

temporal8 wrote: 16 Nov 2020 10:52 and also the run-down version for bad neighborhoods.
I am missing the plastic pink flamingo's in the front yard ;-)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
perverted monkey
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

temporal8 wrote: 16 Nov 2020 10:52...without having to make a lot of different 3d models.
Very smart how you utilize a model and make variations of it. :]
madrito
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [OTTD][Real Cars / 32bpp] Vehicle set Development Thread (WIP)

Post by madrito »

madrito wrote: 04 Oct 2020 20:26 ... garbage truck, ...
is here ↓
https://github.com/2TallTyler/garbage-trucks
temporal8
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by temporal8 »

New Buildings, I am concerned about the little help that is obtained in MNL, my idea was to make all these buildings a Town replacement set but unfortunately I am afraid that it will only remain in eyecandy objects because there is code that I need, such as detecting streets for 2-tile buildings and I don't even have the code that detects the corners working.

Attachments
Sindhattan Transport, 2 Nov 2008.png
(4.35 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Sindhattan Transport, 7 Jun 2008#5.png
(3.64 MiB) Not downloaded yet