Sell all vehicles that are causing loss

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

pcmelo
Engineer
Engineer

Sell all vehicles that are causing loss

Post by pcmelo »

Hello, I'm a new user on the forum, and this is my first post. I researched about it, but I didn't find any topic, so I want to make this suggestion. If you have any way to resolve this, please kindly teach me step by step.

I'm playing and I bought competitors, and with that I inherited the vehicles. I currently have 3600 vehicles, and many of them are making a loss. I wanted, somehow, to send them to the deposit and sell them. Is there any way to do this easily?

Because sending them one by one will be a lot of work.

Thank you
odisseus
Director
Director

Re: Sell all vehicles that are causing loss

Post by odisseus »

Selling a vehicle that seems to be operating at a loss is, in general, a bad idea. It might be an important link in a transfer route that is profitable as a whole.

If you want to cancel the route entirely (say, because the accepting industry has been closed), the easiest way to do it is as follows:
  • Click on a station that is used only by the vehicles you want to stop. This might be a source or a destination, depending on the way your network is built.
  • In the bottom right corner of the station window, click on the each of four little buttons with the icons of different vehicle types. Some buttons may be inactive.
  • You'll see lists of all trucks (trains, boats etc.) that visit this station. Click "Manage list" and select "send to depot" in the dropdown.
  • Once all the vehicles have reached a depot, find each one and sell them through the depot interface.
Attachments
send-to-depot.png
send-to-depot.png (54.81 KiB) Viewed 1258 times
pcmelo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pcmelo »

Hi Odisseus,
Thank you for your feedback, but that is not exactly what I wanted. Some vehicles are in deficit as demand has decreased and not so many vehicles are needed to do the job. For example, in the past a city had more passenger flows and now it has less.

Changing this way that you mentioned, would be a lot of work for me, because as I mentioned I have more than 3600 vehicles, estimating that more than 500 are in deficit.

Is there any other way to resolve this?

Thank you

odisseus wrote: 22 Sep 2020 19:04 Selling a vehicle that seems to be operating at a loss is, in general, a bad idea. It might be an important link in a transfer route that is profitable as a whole.

If you want to cancel the route entirely (say, because the accepting industry has been closed), the easiest way to do it is as follows:
  • Click on a station that is used only by the vehicles you want to stop. This might be a source or a destination, depending on the way your network is built.
  • In the bottom right corner of the station window, click on the each of four little buttons with the icons of different vehicle types. Some buttons may be inactive.
  • You'll see lists of all trucks (trains, boats etc.) that visit this station. Click "Manage list" and select "send to depot" in the dropdown.
  • Once all the vehicles have reached a depot, find each one and sell them through the depot interface.
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

pcmelo wrote: 22 Sep 2020 17:25 ...I bought competitors, and with that I inherited the vehicles. I currently have 3600 vehicles, and many of them are making a loss...
pcmelo wrote: 22 Sep 2020 20:02 Is there any other way to resolve this?
Of course it is, and it is very simple: not taking over poorly run businesses with which you will have more problems than good. ;)
There is no other easy way to avoid the problem, and given the complexity of the problem, it is unlikely that an effective solution will emerge. In many situations, non-profit vehicles are nevertheless very important to the company and the entire supply chain. It would be difficult and very absorbing to indicate by game which vehicles they are.
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”