AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Niduin
Engineer
Engineer

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by Niduin »

Hi,

are any updates planned for AXIS ?
is it planned to bring Wood back to Axis?

Or is Axis finished developed?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Niduin wrote: 20 Nov 2023 21:01 Hi,

are any updates planned for AXIS ?
is it planned to bring Wood back to Axis?

Or is Axis finished developed?
AXIS development is on pause at the moment as I've been busy working on JP+ related things. But development will resume at some point, there will be new economies and Wood will definitely feature in some of them :)
Niduin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Niduin »

Emperor Jake wrote: 21 Nov 2023 04:37
AXIS development is on pause at the moment as I've been busy working on JP+ related things. But development will resume at some point, there will be new economies and Wood will definitely feature in some of them :)
OK, thanks for the info.

The Steeltown economie in AXIS is actually complete or is something missing?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Niduin wrote: 22 Nov 2023 08:20

The Steeltown economie in AXIS is actually complete or is something missing?
There is no room for any more cargos in that economy as it's maxed out at 64. I had to remove cargos like Wood and Alcohol to make room for cargos that were more important to the overall economy. It's by and large finished, but there will be minor adjustments in future versions :)
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

I have a small questxion about AXIS and performances.

Playing with JGRPP I noticed a very strange performance problem with AXIS enabled.

If I create a world 256x256 with 10 cities and industry set to "normal". No AI or GS. Many JGRPP features on, but at map generation time (except for cities roads) that should not have significant impact.
=> Everything is fine, map is generated one second or two.

I change nothing excep map size (city count at 10 and industries to "normal").
512x512 : ok, a few seconds
1024x1024: it starts to take a long time
2048x2048: it's very slow (about 1 minute to create a map)
4096x4096: it takes ages to generate the map

If I create a 4096x4096 map with another set (OpenGFX Industries by exemple, or Improved Town Industries) I can generate a 4096x4096 map in a few second with the same parameters, and even when setting cities to 500.

Next, I play the generated map.

On my computer, a big map will consume 100 CPU even before starting building anything and when paused (I enabled "pause at startup").

At last, I can host a 4096x4096 map cities with Improved Town Industries (but industries set to none), Renewed Villages Growth and 7000 road vehicles and 1000 trains on my server.
If I generate a map with AXIS with 10 town, no GS or AI of 1024x1024 the game isn't playable as the client continuously pause and waits for server data. CPU is 100% all the time on the server. This occurs as soon as the game starts, even before funding the first company.

Other people notice the same?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I already reported the lag problem with AXIS here, try turning off experimental features in the parameters.
I haven't played any games with AXIS yet, so I can't confirm. I only reported ECS issues in the JGRPP thread.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MagicBuzz wrote: 15 Dec 2023 13:49 Hello,

I have a small questxion about AXIS and performances.

Playing with JGRPP I noticed a very strange performance problem with AXIS enabled.

If I create a world 256x256 with 10 cities and industry set to "normal". No AI or GS. Many JGRPP features on, but at map generation time (except for cities roads) that should not have significant impact.
=> Everything is fine, map is generated one second or two.

I change nothing excep map size (city count at 10 and industries to "normal").
512x512 : ok, a few seconds
1024x1024: it starts to take a long time
2048x2048: it's very slow (about 1 minute to create a map)
4096x4096: it takes ages to generate the map

If I create a 4096x4096 map with another set (OpenGFX Industries by exemple, or Improved Town Industries) I can generate a 4096x4096 map in a few second with the same parameters, and even when setting cities to 500.

Next, I play the generated map.

On my computer, a big map will consume 100 CPU even before starting building anything and when paused (I enabled "pause at startup").

At last, I can host a 4096x4096 map cities with Improved Town Industries (but industries set to none), Renewed Villages Growth and 7000 road vehicles and 1000 trains on my server.
If I generate a map with AXIS with 10 town, no GS or AI of 1024x1024 the game isn't playable as the client continuously pause and waits for server data. CPU is 100% all the time on the server. This occurs as soon as the game starts, even before funding the first company.

Other people notice the same?
If you force the number of towns to be very low, but still expect the number of industries to scale with map size, then you're going to have major problems with industry placement due to max number of industries per town restrictions.

I can't reproduce any issues with performance after a map has been generated. Which version of JGRPP are you using?
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

There really is a problem with Axis
Again, it's terrain steps, it even went into the red zone during the lag, but the game wasn't able to take the screen at this point.
The game often lags if the Axis industry and experimental features are enabled. This doesn't happen to me in other branches, there the game still runs, although slower, for example in the case of ECS.
Attachments
USA-Canada Company, 3. zář 1997.png
(496.73 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Experimental features has been removed for the next version. No more lag problems :)

But actually, if you know what experimental features actually does, it calculates a monthly town loop that affects industry production based on how happy the town is (or something like that, it's not a very well documented or transparent feature, that's what I was able to glean from the code). But based on that, it only causes lag at the end of every month as it goes through and does the calculations for every town.

I haven't encountered any other kind of lag problems however. I can run fast forward about 25x on a 4096^2 map with AXIS and experimental features enabled. Maybe I should try it on a slower computer...
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

The core problem is that the implementation of count_industries_in_town in AXIS is extremely expensive.
Every industry executes this twice for some reason.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

It's exactly the same as in FIRS 4 since the code is a fork of that. Maybe it was more pronounced in AXIS because there are more industries.

Anyway, count_industries_in_town was part of experimental features which has been removed now. However there is no performance difference, apart from the monthly calculations, after removing this feature.

For reference, here's what fast forward looks like on my Macbook Air with a 4096^2 map with 12000 towns and 20000 industries, and only AXIS loaded.
Attachments
framerate.png
framerate.png (83.3 KiB) Viewed 44285 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

This is roughly how it looks without lags even on my 2k map. I don't know the specs of this macbook, but this laptop is about 4 years old.
I use a maximum of 1000 cities because one of my favorite GS has a problem with larger numbers of cities. The number of cities in the scenario is always traditionally small.
Niduin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Niduin »

I see AXIS is now on 2.1.0. on your GIthub but i cannot find this in OpenTTD to download? Ther is only 2.0.1 alpha ?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Niduin wrote: 17 Dec 2023 21:10 I see AXIS is now on 2.1.0. on your GIthub but i cannot find this in OpenTTD to download? Ther is only 2.0.1 alpha ?
The new tropical economy is nearly complete, but it needs further testing and tweaks before a Bananas release. Feel free to download 2.1.0 and tell me what you think, just be aware that things will change/break before the full release, which should be before the end of the year :)
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Point me to the language files and I'll be happy to provide Dutch translations!
Can someone bring me a new pixel? This one 's dead.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Yellow Cab wrote: 18 Dec 2023 11:58 Point me to the language files and I'll be happy to provide Dutch translations!
Lang files are right here. Just be aware that strings will keep getting added and changed as AXIS evolves :)

https://github.com/EmperorJake/AXIS/tre ... r/src/lang
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

AXIS 2.2.0 released

Post by Emperor Jake »

🏭AXIS: Another eXtreme Industry Set 🏭

Version 2.2.0 has been released! Now available on Bananas.
Not compatible with any previous AXIS releases.

Features: New "Tropical Paradise" economy, with a focus on agriculture and food production, as well as mineral extraction and manufacturing. This economy is well suited for India and Southeast Asia, as well as parts of Africa and South America. See the image for some of the new and improved industries!

This update also brings major changes to the "Steel City" economy, with balance changes to the Scrap Metal chain, and the addition of Packaging alongside improvements to the food production chains. Several of the new industries from "Tropical Paradise" have also been carried over.

Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Post by Emperor Jake »

Just found a minor graphical glitch on the copper mine right after uploading. :roll: It's already fixed so no need to report it, but it will be updated later as I'll probably find more stuff to tweak.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I don't see tropical paradise there, only basic tropical and in the subtropics...
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

If your language isn't English, it will use the names from the original FIRS economies. In this case, select your equivalent of "basic tropic" :wink:

Return to “Graphics Development”