AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by Argus »

2048*2048
Reducing the density doesn't help, so I'll use the bulldozer :)
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

Argus wrote: 26 Oct 2022 20:57 A hotel right next to a factory, that's really weird
This is not as strange as it seems to you and it is not at all uncommon. :)
Contrary to what you think, hotels are quite often built near factories. They are usually intended for employees, but not only. Often their customers are sales representatives and sometimes also tourists or direct customers of these factories. An example of the latter possibility can be Planet Hotel located literally opposite the entrance to the Ferrari factory in Maranello. In the booking.com the location of this hotel was rated 9,4/10.

booking.com - Hotel Planet
google maps - Holet Planet
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Here in the Czech Republic, it is not so common, but I understand, we are used to having rather cheap housing for workers near the factories :D
Different region, different manners, and one still learns something :)
COLT
Engineer
Engineer

Post by COLT »

Can somone compile latest version from github with Polish language.
Gamestrust
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gamestrust »

hi, I'm available for an Italian translation.
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Emperor Jake wrote: 13 Apr 2022 08:01 (...) The langbak folder contains the original FIRS files so you can work from there but they need to be updated for the changes in XIS.
Sorry for the slooooow reply.
I'd still like to contribute (recently picked up playing OpenTTD/XIS again), but I'm a bit at a loss here. Have I correctly understood that:
  • I have to rework the Dutch FIRS language file (392 lines) to match the English file (420 lines) i.e. for missing industries, cargos, etc.;
  • And, in order to do so, have to sign up to GitHub to edit?
If that's all, I can start translating, in sincere hopes that it can be added soon. :mrgreen:

BTW, the Dutch FIRS file is largely my job, from way back, including some minor puns (like station names 'Paal & Perk' for creosoting and 'Bietenbrug' for Sugar Company, which derive from Dutch expressions). Lost on anyone but (some) Dutch people, but I still grin when I come across one.

EDIT: I've uploaded dutch.lng to GitHub; hope it works like it should. Let me know.
Can someone bring me a new pixel? This one 's dead.
MagicBuzz
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MagicBuzz »

Hello,

Do you think it should be possible to add some parameters to change the way industries are created on the map ?

By example :
- introduce population minimum size for some industry to open in towns
- check city/town flag when building secondary industries
- allow only a certain count for primary / secondary industries per city (or by inhabitants population eg. 1 industry per 1000 inhabitants, etc.)
- check ratio between primary and secondary industries (no use of 4 steel mill when only one iron ore mine exists)

I ask this because currently I think there is many many too much industries. Even when playing a single city map 1024*1024 all the map is messed up with industries.

What about it?
TransshipmentEnvoy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TransshipmentEnvoy »

There is a NewGRF called AXIS on bananas that claims it is the official successor to XIS. Is it playable for now?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Yes, it's playable, I haven't found any major glitches yet. Only the chemical economy is dysfunctional, not finished.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

:shock: What? No nickel? Where do the OpenTTDians get their stainless steel? Are they still using plastic dinner ware?
How Do We Use Nickel?

Approximately 80 percent of the primary (not recycled) nickel consumed in the United States in 2011 was used in alloys, such as stainless steel and superalloys. Because nickel increases an alloy's resistance to corrosion and its ability to withstand extreme temperatures, equipment and parts made of nickel-bearing alloys are often used in harsh environments, such as those in chemical plants, petroleum refineries, jet engines, power generation facilities, and offshore installations. Medical equipment, cookware, and cutlery are often made of stainless steel because it is easy to clean and sterilize.

All U.S. circulating coins except the penny are made of alloys that contain nickel. Nickel alloys are increasingly being used in making rechargeable batteries for portable computers, power tools, and hybrid and electric vehicles. Nickel is also plated onto such items as bathroom fixtures to reduce corrosion and provide an attractive finish.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Yes, surprise, merry Christmas and happy new year! :)

I have been working on the successor to XIS called AXIS (Another eXtreme Industry Set). This is a complete recode based on FIRS 4 so I don't really consider it a new version of XIS for that reason. I will no longer be doing any updates to XIS apart from bugfixes and languages if needed.

XIS is dead, long live AXIS :D
wallyweb wrote: 08 Jan 2023 21:30 What? No nickel?
That would fall under "Ferroalloys" in AXIS, I had to make some cargos more generic because I had trouble fitting everything into 64 slots :)
Argus wrote: 31 Dec 2022 10:28 Yes, it's playable, I haven't found any major glitches yet. Only the chemical economy is dysfunctional, not finished.
Would you mind elaborating on how the chemical economy is dysfunctional? It's working as intended in my playtests
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Jan 2023 23:26 Yes, surprise, merry Christmas and happy new year! :)
And all the best to you. :D
wallyweb wrote: 08 Jan 2023 21:30 What? No nickel?
That would fall under "Ferroalloys" in AXIS, I had to make some cargos more generic because I had trouble fitting everything into 64 slots :)

That works. The OpenTTDians will appreciate your efforts. 8)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Jan 2023 23:26 XIS is dead, long live AXIS :D
No AXIS topic yet, so I will post here pending an announcement.

Future thoughts ... Transitioning Another Xtreme Industry Set ... TAXIS. :lol:

Seriously though, we speak of economies. The new expression in vogue is Supply Chain.
A supply chain encompasses resources and end users and everything in between.
A supply chain is all encompassing. Everything is linked. One broken link and the chain falls apart.
A factory fails because there are no washers in the bolt bin. The mortal sin is "in short supply".
Success is everything is available "just in time".
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Jan 2023 23:26
Argus wrote: 31 Dec 2022 10:28 Yes, it's playable, I haven't found any major glitches yet. Only the chemical economy is dysfunctional, not finished.
Would you mind elaborating on how the chemical economy is dysfunctional? It's working as intended in my playtests
It throws me an error about providing incorrect information, the orchard returned the wrong type of cargo
Now it's even looped and writes it all the time
Edit: I almost didn't quit Tycoon, it overlaid the question of whether I really wanted to quit the game.
What about the subtropics? Will the fish come back? And will you also rework the basic economies? :)
Attachments
Beze jména, 23. led 1900.png
(1.74 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It does this even in 13 beta 2, I don't have another version available.
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Jan 2023 23:26 (...) I have been working on the successor to XIS called AXIS (Another eXtreme Industry Set). This is a complete recode based on FIRS 4 so I don't really consider it a new version of XIS for that reason. I will no longer be doing any updates to XIS apart from bugfixes and languages if needed.
Is it me, or is 'The Lot' missing in AXIS? The setting with the most industries..? I changed from FIRS to XIS for that, but I can't seem to find it in AXIS.

Also: what about translations. I just finished Dutch XIS translations, will you migrate those to AXIS? If not, I'd be happy to contribute once more.
Can someone bring me a new pixel? This one 's dead.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

The replacement of the A Lot economy is undoubtedly the new Steel City, does it seem like there is little industry there? :shock: :)
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Argus wrote: 09 Jan 2023 12:50 It does this even in 13 beta 2, I don't have another version available.
Something's gone badly wrong there, looks like you're running an incompatible GRF. AXIS uses all 64 cargo slots so there's no room for anything else. RUKTS nuclear addon by any chance?

And yes, AXIS is a complete recode so The Lot isn't there, but I do have new economies in mind for future versions. Likewise, translations will need to be redone but it should be easier and less confusing this time :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

It was possible when tested in the JGR patchpack, but the only other newgrf tested in version 13 was NUTS, i.e. trains. Version 0.86. I'll try without graphics.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

As you can see, no graphics, just AXIS. Still throwing errors.
Otherwise, I already like it. By the way, one more thing, games where I have AXIS sometimes lag for a while. It's nothing terrible, but it's annoying sometimes.
I tried twice, the second time in 1930 so that the vehicles were already there. Annoying.
Attachments
Beze jména, 14. led 1890.png
(773.35 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Return to “Graphics Development”