AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by gebik »

I do not know, but I gave him a Czech translation some time ago in PM. Still no reply from him, so I think that he is maybe taking break from XIS... We might get some nice surprise if he is doing something for OTTD. However he can also take complete break from this game, so... I quess, that I must stop speculating... :)
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934
You can write to me in English, or Czech. Můžete mi psát česky nebo anglicky.

Formerly known as MLG.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

andythenorth wrote: 19 Apr 2021 16:47 Jake is busy with RL stuff, last I heard (a few weeks ago), if that helps. ;)
Thanks!
Are you an eye candy player? Check out Invisible engine set! viewtopic.php?f=67&t=88934

Formerly known as MLG.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I'm mostly working on the update to JP+ Secret Engines lately, but when that's done I'll pick this up again. I have some new ideas for XIS and I hope to implement those translations that you all have generously provided soon. :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

XIS is by far my absolutely favorite industry set - thank you very much for the huge effort with the development (and sorry FIRS, I like your "steeltown" economy but I miss the other farming, wood, and so on related industries too much to come back to you).

I hope any new XIS version will maintain compatibility with the current one, as I play a really big map for a really long time with it - more than 6 months in "real life(tm)" that would be very sad if I had to abandon it to switch to a new version.

There is just one thing that I find strange - and that is the cement plant, which requires cement to be delivered to it and then produces building materials based on that (plus sand and limestone as the other two accepted cargos), in particular as its graphics seems to show a rotary kiln, which is actually used in cement production: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_kiln Also, all other industries produce the cargo that they have in their name, if I recall correctly, just this one does not.

Another welcome modification, in my opinion, would be to add bauxite (and maybe also lithium) to the cargo provided by the "bulk terminal". In particular in Europe, bascially all bauxite is coming in from overseas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauxite#P ... d_reserves so it is a bit strange having to place a bauxite mine on a "real world map" (even though the mineral is named after the village of Les Baux, Provence in France). Would also match well with the coal and iron ore also provided by the bulk terminal industry.

Oh, and the winery is dearly missed - the fruit plantation is kind of a substitute for that, also graphics-wise, but how can you play a temperate map of Italy, Spain, France, or Germany without being able to put a winery (and the same also applies to AUS, NZ, Chile, South Africa, ...)? Sipping a glass of fine Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc or Mendoza Malbec along with playing OTTD and then also have a wineyard on your map would just double the fun :lol:

Finally, maybe the "building materials chain" would benefit from some more modern additions to the "brick works", such as a concrete and/or asphalt plant? With some very minor modifications, for example the "grain tower" from the AuzFreight set would possibly already provide a very closely matching graphic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphalt#/ ... nt_pic.jpg

So I hope you don't mind that many ideas posted here with me unfortunately neither having the time nor the graphical skills to provide anything to such an addition - but it was all lingering in my head for quite some time and had to "get out" ...
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

ebla71 wrote: 20 Apr 2021 02:06 I hope any new XIS version will maintain compatibility with the current one, as I play a really big map for a really long time with it - more than 6 months in "real life(tm)" that would be very sad if I had to abandon it to switch to a new version.
There's a reason FIRS updates break compatibility almost every time - industry sets are very finicky and complex and almost every change will break compatibility unfortunately.
ebla71 wrote: 20 Apr 2021 02:06 There is just one thing that I find strange - and that is the cement plant, which requires cement to be delivered to it and then produces building materials based on that (plus sand and limestone as the other two accepted cargos), in particular as its graphics seems to show a rotary kiln, which is actually used in cement production: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_kiln Also, all other industries produce the cargo that they have in their name, if I recall correctly, just this one does not.
You're right about that, the "cement" in XIS migh tmore accurately be called clinker. I was planning on reworking the cement chain anyway.
ebla71 wrote: 20 Apr 2021 02:06 Another welcome modification, in my opinion, would be to add bauxite (and maybe also lithium) to the cargo provided by the "bulk terminal". In particular in Europe, bascially all bauxite is coming in from overseas https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauxite#P ... d_reserves so it is a bit strange having to place a bauxite mine on a "real world map" (even though the mineral is named after the village of Les Baux, Provence in France). Would also match well with the coal and iron ore also provided by the bulk terminal industry.
A good point, but one of XIS's design considerations was that no industry chain would rely solely on the "magic ports" for its primary resources. I'll probably change what the bulk terminals supply, but it will always be possible to mine the resources directly too.
ebla71 wrote: 20 Apr 2021 02:06 Oh, and the winery is dearly missed - the fruit plantation is kind of a substitute for that, also graphics-wise, but how can you play a temperate map of Italy, Spain, France, or Germany without being able to put a winery (and the same also applies to AUS, NZ, Chile, South Africa, ...)? Sipping a glass of fine Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc or Mendoza Malbec along with playing OTTD and then also have a wineyard on your map would just double the fun
I've already planned to put it back when I make region-specific economies :)
ebla71 wrote: 20 Apr 2021 02:06 Finally, maybe the "building materials chain" would benefit from some more modern additions to the "brick works", such as a concrete and/or asphalt plant? With some very minor modifications, for example the "grain tower" from the AuzFreight set would possibly already provide a very closely matching graphic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asphalt#/ ... nt_pic.jpg
The asphalt plant's a good idea too, I'll put it on my list, thanks :)
SciFurz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

FYI no road vehicle for sulphur

Post by SciFurz »

Tested it with eGRVTS since the default vehicles aren't available for non-default cargoes, sulphur is the only one without an available road vehicle.
Open wagons are available though wuth the Dutch trainset.
Tinkering in the code in between writing mostly naughty stuff.
See http://scifurz.wordpress.com/
Gondrong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gondrong »

Any vehicle sets, all of the types, to use with this?
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Gondrong wrote: 02 May 2021 22:29 Any vehicle sets, all of the types, to use with this?
I've been playing a large game with XIS in temperate climate on a Central Europe map for a very long time and the following vehicle sets work very well for me, even with a game start as early as 1870 or so (but I did not proceed beyond 1914 so far):
  • Water: redFish 0.4 (but only need small river barges)
  • Road: Polroad release 46 and Dutch Tram set 2.0.2
  • Rail: Dutch Train set 2.1.0 and SBB Set v1.0e
In particular the SBB set offers some locomotives and wagons available from 1901 that look sufficiently neutral that they should nicely blend with almost any climate and geographical region (except maybe for Americas-style maps, where there are very distinct types of locos and wagons) and - as far as I can tell - carry all cargo offered by XIS with the exception of sulphur, which is however carried by the Dutch Train set open "hopper" wagon.
Gondrong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gondrong »

Many thanks for the reply, I will try those.

You did mentioned you played in temperate map, does XIS work also in the tropical/desert map?
drbobo1989
Engineer
Engineer

Post by drbobo1989 »

This set is truly brilliant and works well with the UKRS2 set, however, one mad thought I had was be "wouldnt it be cool if industries required a small amount passengers" something for the future perhaps? :D
Gondrong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gondrong »

drbobo1989 wrote: 03 May 2021 08:55 This set is truly brilliant and works well with the UKRS2 set, however, one mad thought I had was be "wouldnt it be cool if industries required a small amount passengers" something for the future perhaps? :D
Which UKRS2 set you used?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Gondrong wrote: 03 May 2021 08:15 Many thanks for the reply, I will try those.

You did mentioned you played in temperate map, does XIS work also in the tropical/desert map?
XIS has identical industries on all types of maps :)
Gondrong
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Gondrong »

I am using Dutch Train Set now, but it seems not all the cargos are available for Maglev, any idea which set add the Maglev cargos for XIS?
Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

Gondrong wrote: 03 May 2021 22:33 I am using Dutch Train Set now, but it seems not all the cargos are available for Maglev, any idea which set add the Maglev cargos for XIS?
I'm not sure if the Dutch Trainset adds any maglevs. If you want maglevs that carry freight, all I can recommend is FRIMS.
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Gondrong wrote: 03 May 2021 22:33 I am using Dutch Train Set now, but it seems not all the cargos are available for Maglev, any idea which set add the Maglev cargos for XIS?
If you like the original game's maglev trains, download OpenGFX+ Trains and enable only maglevs. If you want more realistic-ish vehicles (since real world maglevs don't carry cargo), download Erato's FRIMS set.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

Hi all,
I do not know, if this has been said here, but I have some problem with XIS: When generating a subtropical game, no liquid terminal would generate. It does happen even when no other GRFs are loaded. I am using JGRpp 0.40.5. It does not want to be built even when in scenario editor and having completely straight and long coast. Is this an intented behaviour or some bug?

Thanks
MLG

Formerly known as MLG.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

MLG wrote: 05 May 2021 10:08 I do not know, if this has been said here, but I have some problem with XIS: When generating a subtropical game, no liquid terminal would generate. It does happen even when no other GRFs are loaded. I am using JGRpp 0.40.5. It does not want to be built even when in scenario editor and having completely straight and long coast. Is this an intented behaviour or some bug?
With XIS 0.6.1 and OTTD 1.10.1, I was able to build the liquids terminal in subtropical climate with the manual in-game placement of industries but the rules for placement were erratic, to put it politely (or I was too stupid to understand them). It seems to depend a lot on the nature of the shoreline (often had to be at least 6-7 tiles wide flat, green tiles, but sometimes also appeared to have a preference for "corners"), also sometimes a message came up that only one instance of the industry can be built per town (but still had issues to build outside any town zone), and I could only build in "northeast-to-southwest" and "northwest-to-southeast" direction (from top to down on the screen), although I have a temperate climate game with a liquids terminal the other way, from "southwest-to-northeast".

My guess would be it's more an issue with XIS than the main game itself or any other GRF. Don't know about JGR though.
gebik
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gebik »

ebla71 wrote: 05 May 2021 20:44 My guess would be it's more an issue with XIS than the main game itself or any other GRF. Don't know about JGR though.
In JGR there is actually modified behaviour of desert tiles, but mainly about generating of rainforests if one builds a terraformed canal, I think. JGR could tell us more, so I will write in his patchpack's thread about this. However, I was using same GRFs as in temperate and there liquid terminals normally generate.
My fix would be, that user switch could be implemented, which should instead of water and coast industries create land based alternatives, if there ane not any now, since players can want to play on a landlocked map. It could be a second economy: The landlocked Lot
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

MLG wrote: 05 May 2021 10:08 Hi all,
I do not know, if this has been said here, but I have some problem with XIS: When generating a subtropical game, no liquid terminal would generate. It does happen even when no other GRFs are loaded. I am using JGRpp 0.40.5. It does not want to be built even when in scenario editor and having completely straight and long coast. Is this an intented behaviour or some bug?

Thanks
MLG
I just generated a subtropical map with XIS and some random map generation settings and got a liquid terminal just fine.
Industry placement is the same as upstream. If placement is too difficult this is probably because the GRF sets overly cumbersome constraints on placement.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github

Return to “Graphics Development”