AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Svensson
Engineer
Engineer

Re: XIS - Extreme Industry Set

Post by Svensson »

kamnet wrote: 16 Oct 2021 13:12 Emperor Jake is not only an emperor, he is omniscient. He predicted your need and three months ago forked XIS with a "No Fields" version
All hail the emperor!
:bow: :bow: :bow:
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :mrgreen:
:bow: :bow: :bow:

It works! It seems that the noFields version can even be used as a drop in replacement in a running save game. :D

But compiling this source also outputs the same error. And I'd like to know why it is not working for me?
Furthermore: Git marks the noFields version als 'stale'. Does this mean it is an old and in future unmaintained version?
In this case i would prefer to stay on the main branch and make my own version.

by the way: Does the omniscient emperor have the lottery numbers for next weekend? Asking for a friend. :mrgreen:
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

I made the noFields version after a request from the people I play with on a server. Since it seems to be a popular feature I might make it a parameter someday (not any time soon, maybe in XIS 2)
Svensson wrote: 17 Oct 2021 08:32 Furthermore: Git marks the noFields version als 'stale'. Does this mean it is an old and in future unmaintained version?
That just means the latest translation updates haven't been applied to the noFields version yet. I'll get around to it soon :)

As for the compiling problems, I'm sorry I can't help you much there. FIRS/XIS is notoriously difficult to compile and I had a lot of trouble myself when I started making this, and I can still only do it on my laptop and not on my desktop. Your best bets are to ask Andy for help and make sure you're running the right NML version.
andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by andythenorth »

Emperor Jake wrote: 18 Oct 2021 04:35 As for the compiling problems, I'm sorry I can't help you much there. FIRS/XIS is notoriously difficult to compile and I had a lot of trouble myself when I started making this, and I can still only do it on my laptop and not on my desktop. Your best bets are to ask Andy for help and make sure you're running the right NML version.
I ain't using the forums much, but I happened to see this one :)

So what commands do you use to compile XIS?

I just cloned it from github and ran `make` and it fails for me :D

UPDATE - compile sorted with Jake.

Issue is same as the one fixed by this: https://github.com/andythenorth/firs/co ... 5baae29090
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Thanks to Andy's help, the compile should work for you now. :) (and it works on my desktop too now, but that was a separate issue)

I have also updated the nofields version with the latest translations, download it here: https://github.com/EmperorJake/XIS/blob ... s_9185.grf
Svensson
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Svensson »

Thank you guys. Problem solved. :bow:
baronjutter
Engineer
Engineer

Post by baronjutter »

I love XIS !! We started a server with it and it's so much more interesting and complex.

Our only feedback is the Peat to Farm Supply Depot chain is way too powerful and easy compared to every other chain in your set. Peat turns into farm supplies, farm supplies boost peat. Perhaps if the peat area used engineering supplies to dig up the peat instead of farm supplies it would add a little more to the chain?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Undivided words at a nitrate mine
Beze jména, 1. led 1900#1.png
(852.21 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Yellow Cab
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Yellow Cab »

Emperor Jake wrote: 19 Aug 2020 07:55 (...) If you want to contribute translations, just say so and I will provide an edited lang file to fill out.
Late to the party but eh... I could do Dutch.
Can someone bring me a new pixel? This one 's dead.
Jim Starluck
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jim Starluck »

Say, I've a question.

When I check bananas for grfs via the in-game menu, it shows XIS 0.6.2 as the most recent version. I've downloaded it, but when I go to my NewGRF settings I can still only see 0.6.1; the newer version isn't visible.

This is with JGR 0.46.0. Is 0.6.2 not compatible with this version?

Also, what differences are there from 0.6.1 to 0.6.2? I looked for a change log both in the thread and on github and couldn't find anything.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger locomotive and try again.
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordleng »

Emperor Jake wrote: 19 Aug 2020 07:55 Languages:
Currently only English is offered, since some industries have changed names and many new strings have been added, this would be confusing for any non-English players. If you want to contribute translations, just say so and I will provide an edited lang file to fill out.
Hello.
I'm joining you.
I want to contribute to the translation.
Can you provide a language file?
I'm sorry for my English.
Macchinista
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Macchinista »

Emperor Jake wrote: 19 Aug 2020 07:55 Languages:
Currently only English is offered, since some industries have changed names and many new strings have been added, this would be confusing for any non-English players. If you want to contribute translations, just say so and I will provide an edited lang file to fill out.
Thanks for XIS, it's great, if you want I can translate it into Italian
MicahMouse
Engineer
Engineer

Post by MicahMouse »

I would like to help with Chinese (Simplified) if you don’t mind. I really like this GRF and would like to contribute as well
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

To all translators: Language files are available on Github. The langbak folder contains the original FIRS files so you can work from there but they need to be updated for the changes in XIS.

https://github.com/EmperorJake/XIS/tree/main/src/lang

Completed translations can be submitted here but preferably on GitHub directly since i don't check these forums as much anymore.
neobit
Engineer
Engineer

Post by neobit »

TLDR; This is awesome.

Since I was child I had the problem to modify every game to the point it is unplayable.

We decided today to play OpenTDD multiplayer again... to my surprise FIRS had no Extreme economy any-more... the sadness... grew...

...until I found this, thanks to FIRS changelog mentioning it...
Thanks for setting it up!
mibadna
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mibadna »

Hello, new to the modding side of things.
I'm trying to make some modifications to the XIS mod but I don't know how to turn the collection of .py files into something OpenTTD can use.

i've never used a makefile before, is there an online resource I could read?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

mibadna wrote: 03 Sep 2022 12:16 Hello, new to the modding side of things.
I'm trying to make some modifications to the XIS mod but I don't know how to turn the collection of .py files into something OpenTTD can use.

If you're on Windows, the easiest way to run a makefile is to install Linux first :wink:

You'll need various Python dependencies as well as nml to compile it, but those are easy to install (using pip) once you have Python set up.

Just for some perspective, trying to get XIS to compile on my Windows desktop took hours of faffing around and installing WSL, and help from Andy. On my new Mac I was up and running in less than 5 minutes.
mibadna
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mibadna »

Emperor Jake wrote: 04 Sep 2022 10:16
mibadna wrote: 03 Sep 2022 12:16 Hello, new to the modding side of things.

If you're on Windows, the easiest way to run a makefile is to install Linux first :wink:

You'll need various Python dependencies as well as nml to compile it, but those are easy to install (using pip) once you have Python set up.

Just for some perspective, trying to get XIS to compile on my Windows desktop took hours of faffing around and installing WSL, and help from Andy. On my new Mac I was up and running in less than 5 minutes.
good thing i have an ubuntu laptop
thanks for the info.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I like using XIS, but it has one problem...
Sometimes the industry generates very badly
A hotel right next to a factory, that's really weird
Could it somehow be resolved so that the industry does not build so close to each other?
Attachments
Brown & Co., 14. dub 1872.png
(2.21 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Argus wrote: 26 Oct 2022 20:57 I like using XIS, but it has one problem...
Sometimes the industry generates very badly
A hotel right next to a factory, that's really weird
Could it somehow be resolved so that the industry does not build so close to each other?
XIS has a lot of industries and it's pretty unavoidable that they will sometimes spawn close to each other upon map generation. While it's possible to prevent them from being near each other in the code, I won't do it because it'll lead to arbitrary "no suitable location for X industry" or "too close to another industry" errors, causing a lot more player frustration. All I can suggest is to reduce the industry density upon map generation, or remove unwanted industries with the magic bulldozer.

Return to “Graphics Development”