AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

JancioThor
Engineer
Engineer

Re: AXIS - Another eXtreme Industry Set

Post by JancioThor »

hey, is there a list of compatible grfs with AXIS???
Brickblock1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Brickblock1 »

Not that I know of but anything that doesn't have industries or cargos will work
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

I've tried adding XIS and AXIS (one at a time not at the same time) to my scenario but the industry lists are empty except two or three industries, except 'The lot' but even then all the industries sprites are one coal mine square in varying sizes. Plus no power plant for the coal.

If I start a new map or game it seems ok, but can't add it to a scenario i'm currently editing.
any ideas?
openttd1.jpg
(255.85 KiB) Not downloaded yet
openttd2.jpg
(248.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Davie_UCF wrote: 06 Feb 2024 18:42 I've tried adding XIS and AXIS (one at a time not at the same time) to my scenario but the industry lists are empty except two or three industries, except 'The lot' but even then all the industries sprites are one coal mine square in varying sizes. Plus no power plant for the coal.
If I start a new map or game it seems ok, but can't add it to a scenario i'm currently editing.
Changing industry NewGRFs is one of the most tricky parts of modifying the game.

In my experience, it still works in the scenario editor if you really completely clear the map of all industries that were there previously - including "town industries" which might not be that easily visible.

Would do the following:

- Load the existing scenario to the scenario editor
- Use the "list of industries" to navigate to all of them and delete them one by one
- Then - and only then - remove the old industry NewGRF
- Save under a new name
- Add new industry NewGRF

Would also be helpful to upload the scenario you are trying to modify here and tell what old industry set was used in there and which new one you are trying to add?
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

Changing industry sets is the most dangerous part of changing NewGRFs in an existing save or scenario. Even if you take the precautions of removing all industries first, there's still no guarantee it will work correctly.

Even if it looks fine at first glance, there's a chance that the game will start crashing many hours into playing the map, with no way to fix or recover it.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Emperor Jake wrote: 07 Feb 2024 05:17 Changing industry sets is the most dangerous part of changing NewGRFs in an existing save or scenario. Even if you take the precautions of removing all industries first, there's still no guarantee it will work correctly.

Even if it looks fine at first glance, there's a chance that the game will start crashing many hours into playing the map, with no way to fix or recover it.
The warning is certainly well justified and a player who does this should be prepared to loose a lot of time and not complain anywhere, but ...

... I have modified quite a number of scenarios, including very old ones like NRW and Switzerland or newer ones like Iran and changed industries to XIS the way described and never had any problems - in particular the first two now playing for several years (real-life, not game years).

Might also depend on the type of industry sets you try to exchange but the way described it always worked for me (which is of course no guarantee for other people)

Proceed at your own risk but I think it is do-able if you are willing to experiment a bit.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I've played a few game scenarios where the change was also attempted, and some things just didn't work - maybe because the author forgot to remove some factories or there was just a bug.
Yes, we are warned, but changing a boring game is so tempting! :D
Games with a basic vanilla industry can be changed even without an editor, you just need to arrange it with a magic bulldozer. :lol:
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 07 Feb 2024 10:02 I've played a few game scenarios where the change was also attempted, and some things just didn't work - maybe because the author forgot to remove some factories
The point is - do this yourself, don't trust anybody else. It's easy with the "industry list" in the scenario editor to really get rid of all of them, just a bit of work, if there are a few hundred industries on a very large map (as far as I know, there is no "remove all industries" button, or has this changed recently???).
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

There is indeed a "remove all industries" button in the 14.0 beta as well as in JGRPP. Pretty sure it wasn't there in 13.x :)
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Feb 2024 12:58 There is indeed a "remove all industries" button in the 14.0 beta as well as in JGRPP. Pretty sure it wasn't there in 13.x :)
Well, then maybe Hugin and Munin told me :wink:
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

Emperor Jake wrote: 08 Feb 2024 12:58 There is indeed a "remove all industries" button in the 14.0 beta as well as in JGRPP. Pretty sure it wasn't there in 13.x :)
I had tried that and got the same result. Strange
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

You forget something somewhere or change a parameter in the process. It must always be the same!
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Davie_UCF wrote: 12 Feb 2024 14:25 I had tried that and got the same result. Strange
Could you please upload the *.scn scenario or *.sav game file here to the forum for other people to check and maybe come up with suggestions?

I find that indeed strange since I "remodeled" several scenarios for example from FIRS to XIS and also older industry sets and never had any problems.
lonevox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by lonevox »

There is a significant bug with the Uranium Mine and the Nuclear Reprocessing Plant where the game continually spawns more of them in the world. I'm guessing this has something to do with neither of them accepting or supplying any cargo.
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Emperor Jake »

lonevox wrote: 04 Mar 2024 03:48 There is a significant bug with the Uranium Mine and the Nuclear Reprocessing Plant where the game continually spawns more of them in the world. I'm guessing this has something to do with neither of them accepting or supplying any cargo.
These industries are not part of XIS or AXIS. Can you let me know what GRF they're from, so I can add it to the incompatibility list?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Most likely the industrial part of this set

Code: Select all

https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=1263749&hilit=rukts#p1263749
If I remember correctly, it is separate as an addition to the train set, so it can be removed relatively easily without losing the trains.

Return to “Graphics Development”