Mid 1800s Shipping vessels?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Leviathan62089
Engineer
Engineer

Mid 1800s Shipping vessels?

Post by Leviathan62089 »

I'm looking for a NewGRF with watercraft from around 1850 to 1870, I'm currently using the NewGRFs: New Ships, Sailing Ships, FISH and FISH 2 (AKA Squid Ate FISH). It's around 1868 in my game and I've only got access to Clippers(cargo) and Steamships(Passengers). All of my sea vessels(barques, schooners and merchantmen) have hit their age limits and they can't be replaced, I'd like some smaller craft to replace them with during the 1850s. It feels wrong to use Clippers for fishing and other short distance hauling... FISH and FISH 2 don't add any new vessels until 1870 so there's about a 2 year gap where I'm getting bombarded endlessly with "This ship is getting very old" notices.

I though about making a tweak to the Sailing Ships NewGRF to extend the "out of date" times on some of the ships there, but I'm not an experienced coder and I couldn't make heads or tails of the programing language OpenTTD uses. I know I can disable the vehicle expire times, but I kind of like that mechanic and don't mind older ship models disappearing after a while when there are better or newer replacements available, It adds an additional layer to the game having to update your fleet of vehicles throughout time.

So does anybody know of a ship pack that introduces new sailing vessels starting before or during the 1850s, maybe the early steamboats and steamships from around that time?
Thanks for any help
Emperor Jake
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Mid 1800s Shipping vessels?

Post by Emperor Jake »

Add the 2cc ship set, download it here: viewtopic.php?p=729337#p729337

It's not much, but the Paddle Steamer and Clipper shoudl fill the gap between Sailing Ships and FISH. I don't know of any other GRFs with sailing ships.

You might also want to consider WSF Ferries Set: viewtopic.php?p=1218382#p1218382

It contains a few (slow) early steamboats as well as some lovely high capacity ferries for later
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

There's also Mouse's Sailing Ships Grf at viewtopic.php?f=26&t=49040&hilit=Sailing . Very good and I recommend it
leifbk
Chairman
Chairman

Post by leifbk »

You must have a really ancient version of FISH2 aka Squid Ate Fish if the ships don't arrive until 1870. I remember that was the case in the beginning, but Andythenorth changed the start year to 1860 at the time Iron Horse was released.

Personally, I think that the Schooner from the Sailing Ships should never expire. It's lovely eye-candy and great for fishing, even into modern times. You still see that kind of ships around, if not much for commercial use.

Return to “General OpenTTD”