HELP-ME FARM

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

platoon
Engineer
Engineer

HELP-ME FARM

Post by platoon »

Hello, I am new to the forum and would like your help. My english is terrible, sorry.

I downloaded the latest version I found on the homepage of the site, version 1.10.1 but when I create a map to play in Iceland, farms are not generated.

You could help me, it's the industry that I like to work with most.

Thank you
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: HELP-ME FARM

Post by Redirect Left »

I can replicate this easy with 1.10.1. I've attached the savegame that was generated, and the error message produced on generation.

Hopefully with the save of the map generated will help devs figure this one out.
I thought it might be something to do with too flat land, but i've changed the range of that, and it doesn'ty produce any farms wwhatever you use.

edit:
I've cracked it, make sure your snow line is not too low, needs to be at least 4 or higher to get farms to generate with consistency

The requirements for farms to spawn seem a bit fiddly in sub-Arctic. It doesn't spawn itself on snowy areas, so increase the snowline so there's more areas for it to possibly spawn on. This comes at a cost of less snowy of a map, but you get farms.
Idea for devs; perhaps a warning message on the generation screen if your settings are likely to stop a certain industry or aspect of the game from functioning, ie: in this instance, or if you're trying to generate a map that'd have no water, warn of 'no boats'.
2020-05-20 04_22_02-Window.png
2020-05-20 04_22_02-Window.png (44.82 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
FARMWHAT.sav
(433.97 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
platoon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by platoon »

Friend, thank you very much
Changing the snow line really solved the problem.

I received this warning but it did not say which configuration should be changed.

I believe that if it was warned as "Snow line height does not allow the generation of farms." It would be easier to understand and solve.

Thank you anyway !
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

Unfortunately, it's very unlikely that the game can write a more specific error message at this point.

if you tried to fund a farm manually, it would probably tell you the correct reason "must be below snow line", but the world generation cannot display this error message, as it will try to place hundreds or sometimes thousands of industries.

many of those industries will fail for some reason or another (usually "terrain is not flat"), but these errors can be safely ignored, as it will just try somewhere else, to keep the final number of industries the same.

only after it failed this "try another location" for a thousand times, and still got 0 industries of that type, it will display the error message you saw, but it has at that point no chance of recollecting which of the 1000 potentially different error messages is the important one that the user would care about.

And the game cannot do any general checks like this, because the reasons why industries could not be placed can vary a lot. Farms must be below snow line, Arctic forests above the snow line. oil refineries must be near the map edge, which might be all water. sometimes the terrain is too rugged so large industries cannot find enough flat land. And NewGRFs can freely make up their own reasons for rejecting an industry, like too close to (or too far away from) a town, can't be placed on a friday the 13th, unless it's also a full moon...
odisseus
Director
Director

Post by odisseus »

I wonder how often it happens that every attempt to place an industry fails due to the same reason, such as low snow level in the OP's case. If the industry generator collected these failure messages and displayed only the most frequent one and only in the case when all attempts failed, I believe that would spare the player a lot of confusion.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

odisseus wrote: 03 Jun 2020 05:29I believe that would spare the player a lot of confusion.
... or it would add to the confusion further, by chasing the user down a wrong rabbit hole, if the most common reason isn't actually the cause of the issue.
Ora
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ora »

I just ran into the same thing - and it took reducing the snow coverage to 20% for farms to spawn. Now, of course, one could play without them, but I think this is a bug that needs fixing. Particularly as every time a map was generated and I got that message, I saw a bunch of places where a farm could fit just fine...

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”