BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Discussions about the technical aspects of graphics development, including NewGRF tools and utilities.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Post Reply
Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2734
Joined: 22 Feb 2011 18:34

BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by Transportman »

Hi all,

I made a new release of the Dutch Trainset 2 (as it has been some years since the previous release and some new vehicles have been added), however, I cannot upload it to BaNaNaS as Foobar put up the previous versions. When I try to upload the new version, I get the message that a NewGRF with that name and GRFID already exist.

Is there a way to upload the NewGRF and replace the old version?

Edit to clarify that it is about the Dutch Trainset 2 and not the older one.
Last edited by Transportman on 02 Apr 2020 20:55, edited 1 time in total.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML

User avatar
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 13216
Joined: 03 Dec 2002 10:36
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by Hyronymus »

Transportman wrote:
01 Apr 2020 17:27
Hi all,

I made a new release of the Dutch Trainset (as it has been some years since the previous release and some new vehicles have been added), however, I cannot upload it to BaNaNaS as Foobar put up the previous versions. When I try to upload the new version, I get the message that a NewGRF with that name and GRFID already exist.

Is there a way to upload the NewGRF and replace the old version?
I thought you had to always change the GRFID to start with. For the name giving perhaps switch to Dutch Trainset 2.0 XL?

User avatar
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 9414
Joined: 07 Nov 2007 22:44
Location: Sol d

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by planetmaker »

Transportman wrote:
01 Apr 2020 17:27
Hi all,

I made a new release of the Dutch Trainset (as it has been some years since the previous release and some new vehicles have been added), however, I cannot upload it to BaNaNaS as Foobar put up the previous versions. When I try to upload the new version, I get the message that a NewGRF with that name and GRFID already exist.

Is there a way to upload the NewGRF and replace the old version?
It generally is a good idea to use musa to upload to bananas. It has the added benefit that it allows to define additional users which also get granted write access. Did FooBar by chance use user openttdcoop to upload the NewGRF or did he use his own? In case of using this shared account I see a way to update it and grant you access for future updates at the same time by using an appropriately-written update via musa.

If above does not apply and your account hasn't been added to the access to that NewGRF, there's two options:
- ask for modification of the database to add your username to the access list. This is an exception as manual database modifications are neither fun nor without risk - but I see that it can apply here. We would need your account name registered with OpenTTD for that means and the exact entry you want to update.
- Make a new entry which requires a new grfID. And it would mean that the old entry remains active.

Cheers,
planetmaker

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2734
Joined: 22 Feb 2011 18:34

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by Transportman »

planetmaker wrote:
01 Apr 2020 20:00
Transportman wrote:
01 Apr 2020 17:27
Hi all,

I made a new release of the Dutch Trainset (as it has been some years since the previous release and some new vehicles have been added), however, I cannot upload it to BaNaNaS as Foobar put up the previous versions. When I try to upload the new version, I get the message that a NewGRF with that name and GRFID already exist.

Is there a way to upload the NewGRF and replace the old version?
It generally is a good idea to use musa to upload to bananas. It has the added benefit that it allows to define additional users which also get granted write access. Did FooBar by chance use user openttdcoop to upload the NewGRF or did he use his own? In case of using this shared account I see a way to update it and grant you access for future updates at the same time by using an appropriately-written update via musa.
I think FooBar dit it using his own account, as it has been 5 years ago.
If above does not apply and your account hasn't been added to the access to that NewGRF, there's two options:
- ask for modification of the database to add your username to the access list. This is an exception as manual database modifications are neither fun nor without risk - but I see that it can apply here. We would need your account name registered with OpenTTD for that means and the exact entry you want to update.
- Make a new entry which requires a new grfID. And it would mean that the old entry remains active.

Cheers,
planetmaker
I would prefer the first option, the exact entry is the NewGRF with ID FBFB0601, my account name is transportman. If I have been given access manually, can I then use musa to extend the access list myself?

The second option would also be possible, but as it is more of an update than a completely new version, I think having 2 active versions of the Dutch Trainset 2 would be confusing.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML

User avatar
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 13216
Joined: 03 Dec 2002 10:36
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by Hyronymus »

Transportman wrote:
01 Apr 2020 17:27
I would prefer the first option, the exact entry is the NewGRF with ID FBFB0601, my account name is transportman. If I have been given access manually, can I then use musa to extend the access list myself?

The second option would also be possible, but as it is more of an update than a completely new version, I think having 2 active versions of the Dutch Trainset 2 would be confusing.
But the second option does allow people to access the original set if they want to. The new version you wish to upload isn't the same as the version we released years ago, so why not go for a total new entry? It's free and I think even clearer to users of Banana's.

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2734
Joined: 22 Feb 2011 18:34

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by Transportman »

Hyronymus wrote:
02 Apr 2020 11:12
Transportman wrote:
01 Apr 2020 17:27
I would prefer the first option, the exact entry is the NewGRF with ID FBFB0601, my account name is transportman. If I have been given access manually, can I then use musa to extend the access list myself?

The second option would also be possible, but as it is more of an update than a completely new version, I think having 2 active versions of the Dutch Trainset 2 would be confusing.
But the second option does allow people to access the original set if they want to. The new version you wish to upload isn't the same as the version we released years ago, so why not go for a total new entry? It's free and I think even clearer to users of Banana's.
A new entry would mean to me a completely different set, but this new version is so close to the one uploaded years ago (basically just some additional vehicles), that I don't see it as as different set.

Added bonus if it is on the same entry, if people download updates through the Online Content, this new version would automatically be included for people that have the version from years ago.
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML

User avatar
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 13216
Joined: 03 Dec 2002 10:36
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by Hyronymus »

Transportman wrote:
02 Apr 2020 14:58
A new entry would mean to me a completely different set, but this new version is so close to the one uploaded years ago (basically just some additional vehicles), that I don't see it as as different set.

Added bonus if it is on the same entry, if people download updates through the Online Content, this new version would automatically be included for people that have the version from years ago.
You have a point there too. How does the error handling look like if I use the old Dutch Trainset and then download the expanded version from Banana's too?

User avatar
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer
Posts: 9414
Joined: 07 Nov 2007 22:44
Location: Sol d

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by planetmaker »

You cannot add the same NewGRF (ID) twice. Existing games will continue to use the exact same version they were started with. If you have the old version and want to add it to a new map, allow OpenTTD to show all NewGRFs with all versions you have (there's a config setting in openttd.cfg for that).

DutchTrainSet != DutchTrainSet 2 and they are two different NewGRF with two different Bananas entries. Thus you can try out the error response.

Transportman
Tycoon
Tycoon
Posts: 2734
Joined: 22 Feb 2011 18:34

Re: BaNaNaS upload of NewGRF that already exists

Post by Transportman »

Hyronymus wrote:
02 Apr 2020 18:41
Transportman wrote:
02 Apr 2020 14:58
A new entry would mean to me a completely different set, but this new version is so close to the one uploaded years ago (basically just some additional vehicles), that I don't see it as as different set.

Added bonus if it is on the same entry, if people download updates through the Online Content, this new version would automatically be included for people that have the version from years ago.
You have a point there too. How does the error handling look like if I use the old Dutch Trainset and then download the expanded version from Banana's too?
If you have the old old Dutch Trainset, nothing will happen, you will have both versions as my new version is for the Dutch Trainset 2. If you have an older version of the Dutch Trainset 2, the new version will be downloaded when downloading updates, but existing saves will still use the old one and download the right version if needed (when you move the save to a different PC for example).
Coder of the Dutch Trackset | Development support for the Dutch Trainset | Coder of the 2cc TrainsInNML

Post Reply

Return to “NewGRF Technical Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests