Sunshine Trains v2.0 - 6th of February 2023

Find and discuss all the latest NewGRF releases for TTDPatch and OpenTTD here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Sunshine Trains v2.0 - 6th of February 2023

Post by PikkaBird »

What times, eh?

Just in time for OpenTTD 1.10.0, Version 1.0.00 of UKRS3 is now available from the in-game content download. This set features British trains from 1900 to 2000, and - much like the original UKRS - can be considered a remake of the default temperate train set.

Features include:
  • 2x zoom / 32bpp graphics.
  • 2cc company colours, with optional black colouring for steam locomotives.
  • Simple variable running costs (1/4 cost while loading/unloading).
  • Animated steam locomotive wheels and rods.
  • Custom horn/whistle sounds.
  • "Smart" wagon and passenger car variations.
ukrs3-1000-buylist.png
ukrs3-1000-buylist.png (62.25 KiB) Viewed 23636 times
Infrequently asked questions:
1) Why 32bpp? Doesn't that make the set incompatible with most other GRFs?
There's no technical reason you can't run 32bpp and 8bpp newgrfs together. Unless you've changed some pretty obscure settings, your OpenTTD is running in 32bpp - and unless you're using some really, really antique hardware, your OpenTTD runs better in 32bpp.

32bpp does not mean 3d rendering, or imply an inconsistent art style. I drew these graphics in a similar way to all of my older NewGRFs - switching to 32bpp just makes it much, much easier!

2) Why 2x zoom? Doesn't that make the set incompatible with most other GRFs?
I personally use a combination of 4x, 2x and 1x graphics when I'm playing OpenTTD. There's no technical incompatibility, and not necessarily any jarring stylistic differences, either.

I've been playing TTD for 25 years. When I first started, I was using a 19" CRT monitor. At 640x480, that monitor had a pixel size of approximately 45 per inch. Today, I'm playing on a 24" 1080p LED display - not particularly high-res by current standards. But even at that size and resolution, the ppi is roughly twice that of the CRT - in other words, 2x zoom is needed to make the sprites look the same size on my screen as they did at normal zoom back in the 90s. So since 2x zoom best represents the "feel" of TT on even half-way modern systems, I decided to switch to 2x zoom as a default for hand-drawing sprites. And more detail is not a bad thing at all! Here's a comparison between UKRS2, UKRS3, and the "Pineapple" 3d-rendered 4x zoom sprites:
ukrs3-comparison.png
ukrs3-comparison.png (417.03 KiB) Viewed 23636 times
The style is still entirely compatible with 8 bit, normal zoom graphics: for example, here is a UKRS3 train with the OpenGFX base set and ISR stations, at 1x and 2x zoom levels:
ukrs3-opengfx.png
ukrs3-opengfx.png (198.99 KiB) Viewed 14206 times
3) Why 1900 to 2000? Why not earlier, more modern, or futuristic?

Transport Tycoon has always had a 100 year standard game length. TTO ran from 1930 to 2030, and stopped introducing new vehicles after its real-world release date of 1995. TTD moved the dates to 1950-2050 and had a wide selection of fictional vehicles in the second half of the game, taking advantage of the "sci-fi" vehicle sprites which had been created for the TTO World Editor.

For my current series of NewGRFs, starting with UKRS3, I have decided to focus on 1900-2000 time frame. The 20th century best captures the spirit of the original Transport Tycoon: it's appropriate for industrial production and transport, for all four transport types, and has a good balance of "old" (steam/piston) and "modern" (diesel/jet) technological eras. It's a reasonable timeframe for a static industry set (eg coal-fired power stations and oil refineries), and also avoids vehicle sets becoming outdated as fictional "futuristic" vehicles get overtaken by reality as time goes by - something which both UKRS2 and Av8 have suffered from.

As always, feedback is very welcome. Let me know what you think, and enjoy!
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: UK Railway Set (UKRS3) v1.0.00 April 1 2020

Post by Hyronymus »

Mouthdropping details and what a day to release it. I think you outdid yourself again :).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I really like this. I've avoided some of the newer train sets drawn in 32bpp because it seemed to me that they were too cartoonish, the trains and wagons all looked like they were much shorter than they should be. With your demonstration, it's clear now that the problem has been my perceptions, and that most sets have always drawn them just a little bit "stubby", if you will. This is all too clear when you compare this to CZTR trains, which are drawn much longer.

Thank you for all the work that you've put into this set. May all the gods, both the old and the new, bless your work and prosper you. Huzzah!
mak
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mak »

Thank you Pika,

Have been usung UKRS3 for sometime and updtaed to v 1.0.00 early this morning (UK time) and it's absolutely brilliant.

Various cargoes showing on each wagon etc. correctly.

Again thank you
arikover
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by arikover »

Really nice, and amazing work!

I noticed that the vehicles are not aligned with the track in the | (vertical) views (1 pixel too far on the left, it seems):
1 pixel to the left in the | view?
1 pixel to the left in the | view?
UKRS3.png (519.2 KiB) Viewed 23424 times
Is this intended for a future track set, or is it a small glitch?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

arikover wrote: 02 Apr 2020 11:41 I noticed that the vehicles are not aligned with the track in the | (vertical) views (1 pixel too far on the left, it seems):
I think some of that alignment issue is the way OpenTTD converts offsets between the zoom levels.

But yes, there are some track graphics coming - in fact, a full 2x/4x landscape set, which I've been working on since Pineapple Trains. There are preview versions available on my Patreon, but it needs a few more features (most notably trees) before it's ready for a public alpha.
Dave

Post by Dave »

:shock: Son of God on a Pushiron
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Re: UK Railway Set (UKRS3) v1.0.01 December 29 2021

Post by PikkaBird »

Hey look, an update. :roll:

Version 1.0.01, December 2021
- Fixed brake vans not appearing with certain industry newgrfs.

Find it on el Bananae today.
Zephyris
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Zephyris »

I am loving the style. What's the work flow, pixel pushing?
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Zephyris wrote: 06 Jan 2022 12:27 I am loving the style. What's the work flow, pixel pushing?
They were all hand-drawn in 32bpp, so a combination of airbrush-style shading for the shape, pixel pushing for the details, and colour overlays for the livery.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

UK Railway Set (UKRS3) v1.5 1 March 2022

Post by PikkaBird »

v 1.5 is now uploaded to the in-game content - this is a "release candidate" for the final version of the set, aiming for the traditional release date of April 1st. :wink:

- The final four planned locomotives have been added (Bulleid Q1, Light Pacific, Swindon Shunter (Class 14), and Intercity 225 (Class 91)), bringing the total number of locomotives up to 25.
- Locomotive polish: redrew Class 20; added BR-Standard tender variants for Jubilee and 8F; other minor detail fixes.
- Final polish and stats division of the cargo wagons and coaches.
- Final polish of the Era Lock feature.

Please try it out and let me know if there are any outstanding errors, bugs or issues!
Attachments
ukrs315.png
ukrs315.png (212.11 KiB) Viewed 14206 times
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: UK Railway Set (UKRS3) v1.5 1 March 2022

Post by luk3Z »

andythenorth wrote: 04 Mar 2022 21:53 Hurrah! \o/
+1 Great set. One of the best set so far in 32bpp.
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override
griffinrails
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by griffinrails »

Beautiful models Pikkabird. I think a cool idea would be to convert some of these models to Locomotion just like the real old days. I'd especially love to play around with the freight wagons in game.
Just putting the idea out there, do what you want, it's your content.
= STEAM TRAM viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87037 =+= CITY AND COUNTRY USA viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87054 =+= MAILCAR PATCH viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87071 =+= THE DECLINE viewtopic.php?f=39&t=87127 =+= NEW STATIONS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87191=+= DISTANT SIGNALS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87206 =+= AUSSIE LEVEL CROSSING viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87364 =+= BROAD GAUGE FOR LOCOMOTION viewtopic.php?f=40&t=87336 =+= OMNIBUS viewtopic.php?f=40&t=88862 =

Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZYvWn ... T3EdQqUlKw
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

UKRS3 is all hand-drawn, 8-view sprites. There are no models to convert. :)
zifox
Engineer
Engineer

Post by zifox »

After many years away from the game, i'm coming back home. I'm not a fan of the futuristic trains so I was often starting in the 1920 or 1930, using specific train sets (uk & french) .

With the latest version, i'm only using zbase and I'd like to find a set that would add more early machines, the default game being very sparse before 1935. Is there a way to select some trains from the set to enhance the default one ?
(I'd like to keep the lastest high speed trains from the vanilla game, TGVs and the likes, and not have duplicates)
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

zifox wrote: 14 Aug 2022 21:47 With the latest version, i'm only using zbase and I'd like to find a set that would add more early machines, the default game being very sparse before 1935. Is there a way to select some trains from the set to enhance the default one ?
(I'd like to keep the lastest high speed trains from the vanilla game, TGVs and the likes, and not have duplicates)
I don't know if there's a set that re-adds the original vehicles when using NewGRFs, but that's essentially what you'd need. Normally the suggestion would be OpenGFX+ Trains, but AFAIA that explicitly uses OpenGFX, rather than the base set graphics.
Nordleng
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Nordleng »

Dear PikkaBird.
Is it worth waiting for new versions?
Will there be new additions to the trains?
Wishes: you can make a setting in the future - to increase the cargo transported by wagons.
I'm sorry for my English.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Is there anything in particular you feel it's missing - bearing in mind the nominal timeframe for the set is 1900-2000? :) The wagon capacities are fairly standard, I thought.

I'm planning to have some big NewGRF announcements in the new year, including some documentation, templates and examples for UKRS3-style graphics. Perhaps we'll get an add-on set. ;)

Return to “Graphics Releases”