Saved patterns

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

L. Spooner Inc
Engineer
Engineer

Saved patterns

Post by L. Spooner Inc »

As my train station designs become more elaborate, I find I develop a handful of "standard stations" which I stamp down automatically. It would be useful if there was a kind of clipboard for track and station layouts which you could copy, save, and paste to save on mindless busywork.
kamnet

Re: Saved patterns

Post by kamnet »

There is a copy/paste/clipboard patch, but it's fairly buggy and I don't think it's even included in any current patch packs. It certainly isn't ready for the master OpenTTD code.
eisenbahner
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eisenbahner »

there is an older patchpack, chills patchpack, played it for long time and used it for intersections. Clipboard worked perfectly, just had a certrain place on the map where i build all my templated and copied them from there. too bad there are no new patchpacks i know that feature this patch. and without, its just boring to build the same intersection over and over and over again
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

So stop doing that :)

Someone once suggested to me to stop leveling the ground, and instead build on the existing ground (that is, no terra-forming). It made a huge difference. Suddenly I had to cope with height differences, run amount hills instead of through it, etc. Especially early in the game where trains aren't that powerful, it's much more challenging to get a nicely running network.

Having non-flat ground also immediately fixes your need for patterns, every point in the map is different, so pre-fabricated patterns simply don't fit.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”