OpenLoco First Impressions and Analysis

The "spiritual sequel" to Transport Tycoon Deluxe: Chris Sawyer's Locomotion is the latest game from him - general discussion about it here please!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

Seven11
Engineer
Engineer

OpenLoco First Impressions and Analysis

Post by Seven11 »

I recently patched my Steam version of Locomotion with the files that came with OpenLoco (don't even know if I compiled it properly, but it still worked...). I've used it for a while on top of mods and handmade scenarios. I thought I would give a few thoughts on my experiences with the work-in-progress version of OpenLoco.

First off, all the additional features are things I wished were in the original game, things like disabling vehicle breakdowns, Options window in the main menu, among other things, and I enabled most of them right out of the gate. It immediately enhanced my gaming experience and make things a lot more simple for me. The only problem is it doesn't seem to support having a preferred name for all games (every time I try to enter my current username, it just draws a blank, so to speak).

The gameplay is the same as it usually is. I wasn't very impressed with the work done so far and I would say that, arguably, it was a downgrade from the original setup. Maybe it's just missing features because I didn't compile everything, but the following issues were pretty clear to me: 1) Sound file mixup. In most games, the sounds get jumbled up and the result is wrong sounds being played when a vehicle is moving or sounding its whistle. 2) Glitched buttons. Anytime I'm in the train track building menu, at least one of the pressable buttons is pressed in when it's not supposed to. It's a minor detail, but in all my time playing it's been annoying because I can never tell if I've clicked on it or now at times. 3)Main menu button sounds missing. Whether or not this was an added feature, I found it annoying that some of the button sounds were not present. It gave the game some uniqueness in a sense, I'm not sure it should be a concern, but I just wanted to bring that up.

Overall, it was somewhat an enhancement in a sense, but I would love to know if the issues mentioned above could be resolved. Thanks, OpenLoco devs, for bringing this patch to the open world, and I hope to see more from you in the future!
Hibi
Engineer
Engineer

Re: OpenLoco First Impressions and Analysis

Post by Hibi »

I prefer using the original version over OpenLoco because, from personal experience, it is crash-happy. My first impressions of v18.02 weren't good, it crashed five times as I was setting it up and trying it out, meddling in the settings, clicking around menus in the scenario editor, and I did not launch it a sixth time. Given the size and scope of the project, I forgive them since it's still quite a new project and only a few developers are behind it, the fact that the popularity of the parent project, OpenRCT2, eclipses that of OpenLoco doesn't help either. I might try out v19.03 soon, get back into Locomotion now that I have more free time.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Just be sure you're providing them with information, crash logs, bug reports, etc. It's the only way the project will ever get better.
busdude
Engineer
Engineer

Post by busdude »

The best way to revive open locomotion is really simple,
1 remove all the object limits in the game
2 larger maps 4x the current size
3 better pathfinding
If you do those 3 things first, the people would flock back to the game as those are the 3 biggest limitations in the game, once you get that stable then you work on the other improvements as you would have more playing and nodding again and thus getting better input or what else is needed
Seven11
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Seven11 »

Hibi wrote: 16 Nov 2019 01:37 I prefer using the original version over OpenLoco because, from personal experience, it is crash-happy. My first impressions of v18.02 weren't good, it crashed five times as I was setting it up and trying it out, meddling in the settings, clicking around menus in the scenario editor, and I did not launch it a sixth time. Given the size and scope of the project, I forgive them since it's still quite a new project and only a few developers are behind it, the fact that the popularity of the parent project, OpenRCT2, eclipses that of OpenLoco doesn't help either. I might try out v19.03 soon, get back into Locomotion now that I have more free time.
It never crashed for me. I completed Sandbox Settler and other scenarios in the beginner-medium range - as well as making my own scenarios - without the game crashing on me. As I said before, the issues with me lie in the more "minor" details.
busdude wrote: 05 Dec 2019 21:27 The best way to revive open locomotion is really simple,
1 remove all the object limits in the game
2 larger maps 4x the current size
3 better pathfinding
If you do those 3 things first, the people would flock back to the game as those are the 3 biggest limitations in the game, once you get that stable then you work on the other improvements as you would have more playing and nodding again and thus getting better input or what else is needed
While I agree these would be great to have in the game, I would have added disabling breakdowns and/or adding an auto-renew option to the game. This is the #1 issue I have with it. I have no problem with the pathfinding and the object limits.
luk3Z
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by luk3Z »

And my impressions:
Locomotion in current stage (also with OpenLoco) is like RollerCaster-ish TT.
It's missing intuitivity from TTD especially when building roads/rails (easy & fast).

What I miss here:
1. option adding "dynamite or bulldozer"
2. old style TTD building roads/rails - cilcking on the map and build (easy, fast & simple)
3. pathfinding is not so good
4. some random "catastrophes" ie. tornado, earthquake etc.

The rest portion of the game is ok (except trams in small villages - they're looking silly).
Find new graphics easier:
GRFCrawler -> http://grfcrawler.tt-forums.net
BaNaNaS -> https://bananas.openttd.org/
32 bit gfx in OTTD (32bpp) -> https://wiki.openttd.org/en/Community/N ... 20graphics
TTDPatch 2.6 -> viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67694
How to subtract tax from income (workaround) -> viewtopic.php?t=89763&start=20
How to ban distance from income -> Simple Cargo Decay Override

Return to “General Locomotion”