Allow existing tunnels and bridges to increase "platform length" parameter for directly adjacent station tiles

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

BattlePeasant
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Allow existing tunnels and bridges to increase "platform length" parameter for directly adjacent station tiles

Post by BattlePeasant » 12 Jun 2019 18:53

Why not spend 200 hours, but do it well? Why does everyone want to make the game cheap, but ugly?

andythenorth
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Allow existing tunnels and bridges to increase "platform length" parameter for directly adjacent station tiles

Post by andythenorth » 13 Jun 2019 07:17

BattlePeasant wrote:
12 Jun 2019 18:53
Why does everyone want to make the game cheap, but ugly?
Not everyone does. Core developers get a fair bit of stick in these forums for not just committing any old thing. :twisted:

Bu there's nothing wrong with people making dirty hacks to try solving interesting problems. They just won't make get merged to OpenTTD master. :)

TopTechDreamer
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TopTechDreamer » 13 Jun 2019 11:47

andythenorth wrote:
13 Jun 2019 07:17
BattlePeasant wrote:
12 Jun 2019 18:53
Why does everyone want to make the game cheap, but ugly?
Not everyone does. Core developers get a fair bit of stick in these forums for not just committing any old thing. :twisted:

Bu there's nothing wrong with people making dirty hacks to try solving interesting problems. They just won't make get merged to OpenTTD master. :)
++ Had someone else implemented tunnel-stations and bridge-stations somehow? These "patches" of OpenTTD 1.9.1 work well. What may be ugly in them?
1) - Graphics of bridge-stations or tunnel-stations? - Of course, I didn't make any changes to graphics. It's not my task. I hope, some graphics developers will do a nice graphics for bridge-stations (especially) and for tunnel-stations... sometime.
(Existing tunnels and existing stations are looking good enough, when combined to a "complex" platforms, even "as is".)
2) - Some signals work not completely correctly with some complex platforms? - This was described nearby attached .exe files for downloading. I don't know by now, how the pathfinder algorithms are implemented, so, why don't they choose a free platforms in some cases, but wait until one of the busy platforms is released. And... Test station layouts are too "bad": one have test programs in the worst possible situations to see possible problems. But in more simple situations (with more simple complex platforms) these programs will work more correctly. Maybe. :)
3) - There is no new Advanced Settings added? - Yea. I didn't get there yet.
However, these Settings have to be stored in .sav files ("saves"), naturally, but changes to saves mean a new version of saves, i.e. they would be non-compatible with the current version of OpenTTD 1.9.1 stable, but saves from these "patches" are compatible (however there's no reason to use the "complex" stations inside OpenTTD 1.9.1 stable because trains on them will load and unload too-o-o long time).

My main purpose and task is to show to OpenTTD Developers, that this is easy enough to implement "complex" stations and tunnel-stations and bridge-stations in the existing code of OpenTTD, because they only can release these possibilities in a new version of OpenTTD. And, of course, I want very strongly to have these possibilities for myself.

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 » 15 Jun 2019 09:23

One of the problems isn't to show that's easy to add something, but it's the way that addition is presented, for example the guideline is to not touch the core gameplay, so it should be a feature which could be enabled or disabled, the code must be well written with the same style of the other code, and just don't push devs to add anything, last time I pushed the devs NRT was delayed for 2 years :D (just joking)

OTTD development board is filled with many interesting patches which IMHO should be added to the core game because make it more interesting, adding diversity to the gameplay or just eyecandy.

But the bigger problem is a bit more frustrating: should the new feature really work that way? Would it block more functions which could be added later? Could it be done differently?

My hopinion for this feature is this: it's interesting, I would use it in some situations, but I feel like it's not the right way to do it :roll:

Also with OTTD on github and all the compile farm revision, it should be possible to have your own OTTD version with your patch(es) to be tested by everyone, and if devs+community will find it really interesting and useful, it might be added soon or later

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”