Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Any extensive ship GRFs?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:03 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Is there any GRF that adds a lot of ships? Mainly ships for use over the year 2000. I am working on a pack for my server, and the core idea of it is that it is very slow-paced and there are many different options when it comes to vehicles and infrastructure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:09 pm 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

There's one set you cannot get around when playing with ships: FISH. It's awesome. Beautiful graphics And very extensive collection of different ships. You find it on banananannananas.

DevZone - home of the free NewGRFs: OpenSFX | OpenMSX | OpenGFX | Swedish Rails | OpenGFX+ Trains|RV|Industries|Airports|Landscape | NML

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:13 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

planetmaker wrote:
There's one set you cannot get around when playing with ships: FISH. It's awesome. Beautiful graphics And very extensive collection of different ships. You find it on banananannananas.

Yes, I am aware of FISH, and it is currently on my list, but the newest version I found is from 2015 or so, so I just wanted to know if I haven't missed anything since.

EDIT: 2015, not 2012

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

There's redFISH on BaNaNaS, which includes more ships.
You can also have NewShips on Michael Blunck's website.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:54 pm 

Ship sets typically don't offer "a lot" of ships because most of them are focused on quality of game play. Most players only need two types of ships - ones that go fast, and ones that carry a lot of stuff. Maybe a third that balances the two out.

Base Music Sets: OpenMSX | Scott Joplin Anthology | Traditional Winter Holiday Music | Modern Motion Music
Other Projects: 2CC Trams | Modern Waypoints | Sprite Sandbox & NewGRF Releases | Ideabox | Town Names | Isle of Sodor Scenario | Random Sprite Repository
Misc Topics: My Screenshots | Forgotten NewGRFs | Unfinished Graphics Sets | Stats Shack | RoadTypes?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:27 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

kamnet wrote:
Ship sets typically don't offer "a lot" of ships because most of them are focused on quality of game play. Most players only need two types of ships - ones that go fast, and ones that carry a lot of stuff. Maybe a third that balances the two out.

It's mostly this. Fast ships with huge capacity do exist in redFISH though, although they're only for PAX.
100kph ships able to carry, like, 750k liters of oil wouldn't even be balanced compared to anything. Ships already generate lot of money, so let's not go too far with them.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:22 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

SQUIDateFISH is the new version of fish after the original stopped being developed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:09 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

SimYouLater also developed a version merging Squid ate FISH, redFISH and FISH.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:33 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

acs121 wrote:

I created a teaser, but it only contains one ship. I'd finish it, but I want to finish RIS first and I am having issues which nobody seems able to help solve.

As a result, I might never return to OpenTTD. I'll post a topic with all the source codes in a bit, just so that the community doesn't suffer.

You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:29 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:

I created a teaser, but it only contains one ship. I'd finish it, but I want to finish RIS first and I am having issues which nobody seems able to help solve.

As a result, I might never return to OpenTTD. I'll post a topic with all the source codes in a bit, just so that the community doesn't suffer.

Hell no, that's not a reason to quit a community.
Do you REALLY need RIS to work to start working on the GRF in question ?
Does any ship set really need a road set ?
I mean, really, is it necessary ?

My screenshots

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

:( Leave the community just because something is wrong? I do not understand

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:34 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

I'm not leaving out of anger! I'm leaving because I was unable to get a NewGRF working. It's not that anyone was unhelpful, but that nobody seems to be able to get RIS to be compatible with Early Rails or to make the "vehicles" from Wired and WIRES appear in the utility pole depots.

I believe that there is an issue with NewGRFs, but with no idea what that issue is, I can't make the NewGRF work to my satisfaction. As a result, I've decided to move on to games like Mashinky and Transport Fever.

I'll watch this forum, if anyone can figure out what's wrong with my RIS code in the next month I will return, otherwise I feel like I can't do things right.

You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:50 am 
Engineer
Engineer

And what prevents the continuation with the ships?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:03 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

SimYouLater wrote:
I'll watch this forum, if anyone can figure out what's wrong with my RIS code in the next month I will return, otherwise I feel like I can't do things right.

Not being able to do things right is normal. We can't make of OpenTTD our dream game. Things will never work to our satisfaction. We have to use what we have at our disposition, and that's it. Until the release of RATT, we couldn't even imagine multiple road types or tram types. And that's just an example. Playing OpenTTD with friends without Infrastructure Sharing was frustrating before I found out this patch existed. And that's another example.
You know, people like me simply don't care that RIS doesn't have true compatibility with WIRED or Early Rails. There's none of a problem with this. As someone who uses RIS in his games, I really like RIS as it is.

My screenshots

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:13 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

acs121 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

Not being able to do things right is normal. We can't make of OpenTTD our dream game. Things will never work to our satisfaction. We have to use what we have at our disposition, and that's it. Until the release of RATT, we couldn't even imagine multiple road types or tram types. And that's just an example. Playing OpenTTD with friends without Infrastructure Sharing was frustrating before I found out this patch existed. And that's another example.
You know, people like me simply don't care that RIS doesn't have true compatibility with WIRED or Early Rails. There's none of a problem with this. As someone who uses RIS in his games, I really like RIS as it is.

You don't understand. This isn't like RATT where we have to wait on a feature to do things. The code to do what I'd like to is already in the game!

The problem is that my code is not working like it's supposed to, and I have no idea why. I even asked Gwyd what was wrong and Gwyd told me he doesn't know why it isn't working.

That's why I'm contemplating leaving, because I'm not sure how to fix a problem and nobody else seems to know either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:12 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

You asked one person... and that means nobody knows? Hmm........

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:13 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

SimYouLater wrote:
acs121 wrote:
SimYouLater wrote:

You don't understand. This isn't like RATT where we have to wait on a feature to do things. The code to do what I'd like to is already in the game!

The problem is that my code is not working like it's supposed to, and I have no idea why. I even asked Gwyd what was wrong and Gwyd told me he doesn't know why it isn't working.

That's why I'm contemplating leaving, because I'm not sure how to fix a problem and nobody else seems to know either.

There's a few people that could help solve your problem.
For WIRED, McZapkie is still active, and might give you a lot of help as he is the creator of the NewGRF.
If your issue isn't fixed, ask people such as PikkaBird, as they know a lot more than me at NewGRF coding, etc.
What I advise you to do is to download GRF Wizard and decode the NFO file of Early Rails if you have problems with it.

My screenshots