Completely brand new boxed Windows TTDLX - do I open it?

Talk about the sequel to the original TT, Transport Tycoon Deluxe.
Lantizia
Engineer
Engineer

Completely brand new boxed Windows TTDLX - do I open it?

Post by Lantizia »

Hello,

Thought I'd introduce myself, been lurking (just reading not posting) for about 10+ years now :)

As a child I played the DOS version exclusively really (my brother owns it) but in the last 10+ years I've been playing the Windows version on and off on Linux (via Wine - with complete success I'm happy to report).

I have been using the ISO found inside 'TTD_WIN95.rar' that orudge links to here... viewtopic.php?t=3407

But thought recently I ought to really legitimise this a bit, since even the DOS version I have is technically my brothers anyway. So I took a gamble and spent £20 on Amazon (the seller was St. Michael's Hospice). I normally hate buying off Amazon as you never know if what you'll get even remotely looks like the picture of the stock item shown... but to my surprise...
OcM8RZ.jpg
(933.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Shrink wrapped and everything! :S

Now the question is... should I dare open it?

Can anyone tell me if the ISO I've been using from that RAR is 100% identical to the disc I'd find inside?

Thanks

Steven
Last edited by Lantizia on 17 Jan 2019 07:02, edited 2 times in total.
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Completely brand new boxed Windows TTDLX - do I open it?

Post by planetmaker »

There probably is little need (and to my knowledge even for legal reasons none - but IANAL). I'd keep it as unspoiled collector's item ;)
Trond
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Trond »

No! Even if you're not a collector yourself, theres plenty of us on ebay willing to pay real money for such a gem ;) I still have my original box from when the game was originally released, not unopened though. I probably would not be here if I hadnt opened it back then =)
..: Trond :.. because you deserve it! Image

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves,
and wiser people so full of doubts.
Bertrand Russell

MyGRFs: Norwegian Funny Town Names 4 | LOTR & WoW Town Names 2 | Islandic Town Names 1 | Random Norwegian Town Names
Favorites: GRFCrawler | ISR | WIKI | Now Playing: OpenTTD 1.3.2 w/YAPP 3.0-RC3.9ish
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Don't open it, enjoy it as a collector's item. Maybe meet Chris Sawyer one day and get him to autograph it.
Lantizia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lantizia »

Well I'm not fussed about RollerCoaster Tycoon as I've got that on Steam (not that I ever played it for more than about 30mins in my whole life)... and I don't care about RailRoad Tycoon II either as although I love that game, I have the native Loki Linux port of it :D

So I can keep it shrink wrapped, even be tempted to sell it if anyone is interested (I think for that to happen... I'd have to know I can re-source the same item again, but in non-shrink wrapped/used condition - even if a bit beaten up - plus the £20 I paid *at least*)...

But the fundamental question from my post was...

Can anyone tell me if the ISO I've been using from that RAR is 100% identical to the disc I'd find inside?

Because if it is then I've no reason to open it as I don't really use the discs I own anyway, I always use images of them with CDEmu (so that they don't get battered around or degrade).
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Since it's on Owen's site, I suppose only Owen himself can for sure state what version of TTD it is or how it was obtained.

I'm fairly certain that it's not functionally different from what you have in your box. As far as I know, there was no change in content between the first release of Transport Tycoon Deluxe and the various rebundles, aside from lack of documentation on paper.
Lantizia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lantizia »

It's not on his site, just a site he has mentioned below...
orudge wrote:This topic is a list of download locations for almost everything you could want for Transport Tycoon. To submit your link, please reply to this thread.

[...]

Transport Tycoon Deluxe (Windows):

[...]
http://tycoon.bl4ckb0x.de/files/TTD_WIN95.rar (Multilanguage, Original CD-ROM ISO, Win95 Version)
Last edited by Lantizia on 17 Jan 2019 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

I would expect it should be identical, but couldn't say for sure. I'd keep your box unopened, personally!
Lantizia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lantizia »

I may just open it after all :S

I'm thinking that if anything was going to shoot up in value in the distant future (in terms of TTDLX) it'd likely be the original DOS release where the box art is *just* about TTDLX itself.

And in terms of keeping it for myself unopened (not thinking of value) then it's not much of a collectors item since it's a compilation box.

I guess it only really has any significance because (correct me if I'm wrong) it's the only source of the FISH Windows port of TTDLX.

Just noticed another copy going for £8...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273632270884

It's been opened (but looks to have the shrink wrap too - must be broken somewhere along the sides) but lacks Rollercoaster Tycoon (meh, on Steam if needed). I was just tempted to get this so I can image the TTDLX CD alone - but I think that's my sanity pulling into stupids-ville :)
Lantizia
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lantizia »

The deed is done :)

At least now I can say for sure the contents are the same as that which is found in 'TTD_WIN95.rar'.

Also I've attached the manual that comes on a separate CD.

I looked around on Google and it appears although there are other copies with the same serial as this manual (MP190239MANR), they both (links below) are formatted for mass printing (i.e. making a bound booklet/manual, two pages to a PDF page) and black and white.

https://classicreload.com/sites/default ... deluxe.pdf
ftp://ftp.robinson-west.com/home/michae ... ualttd.pdf

The one attached is a normal page by page PDF and the front of it is in colour (which may explain this lovely SVG the german TTDLX Wikipedia page has... https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transport ... x_logo.svg).
Attachments
ttd.pdf
(732.35 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
TTdeluxe.jpg
(515.42 KiB) Not downloaded yet
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

It's a nice box set to have, it's the one I got when I decided I should go-legit as it were.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
schitzn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by schitzn »

Im curious, who else is old school and been here since the dinosoaurs, and have a secret stash they've been holding for many years

[Note: I replied to a dead post, rather than create a new one, because its relevant to its topic]

Erato
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Erato »

How come you have three copies of Transport Tycoon?
No pics no clicks. Seriously.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
schitzn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by schitzn »

I snatched a few copies from ebay 15 years ago, I considered they would be retro one day.

Return to “Transport Tycoon Deluxe”