Openttd Challenge Spinoff (beta 2)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Korenn wrote:Darkvater - true again, but as I already said, I was already working on this for quite some time, and converting the whole thing will take a week or more again, so I decided to get some feedback first ;)
If you code in a "working copy" of svn, you just order svn to update and that's it. You will have your changes in a version based on the newest svn
Working inside working copies are the easiest way of using other peoples updates too while working on your own changes
ok, there can be a problem if you changed a line, which also happens to be changed in the svn version, but svn is build to handle that and you have to choose which version of the line(s) you want
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Hrmmm, i got latest build from nightly builds and when i play the map is arctic :lol:
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Akalamanaia wrote:Hrmmm, i got latest build from nightly builds and when i play the map is arctic :lol:
yes it is, but it seriously breaks the gameplay if you do that.
stewis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by stewis »

Oh fun well i seem to get the toyland graphics lol as well as toyland trains :| ::mumbles:: but its still playable just have to guess what industrys are making what.

do i need todo a clean install of 0.3.0 to get it to work correctly as i compile the latest SVN every night and usualy use that.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

stewis wrote:Oh fun well i seem to get the toyland graphics lol as well as toyland trains :| ::mumbles:: but its still playable just have to guess what industrys are making what.

do i need todo a clean install of 0.3.0 to get it to work correctly as i compile the latest SVN every night and usualy use that.
yes you need to do a clean install of 0.3.0 as I clearly stated in the first post in this thread.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Korenn wrote:The most annoying 0.3.0 bug is the one that deletes random places inside a city to build new buildings, if you happen to have a road vehicle on that tile the game crashes. The best way to solve that is to load the last autosave (I always play with 1 month autosave) and stop all your roadvehicles, wait until you see what tile is going to be removed, then load again and make sure no roadvehicles get on that tile.
I wish I could do that but my hard disk is sssslllooowww so autosaving takes forever. Would you be able to make the saves any smaller?
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

nope, they are already compressed.
Raven
Director
Director

Post by Raven »

)this new approach to tycoon is amazing, i've reached 25000 in 1965, cities don't want to grow. (or is it that i'm not regular enough with supplies :lol:

things i've realized:
As Lilman424(?) said, you get a nostring problem, but when trying to delete any road/thing in certain cities, so some of the cities in my game are just useless (some say they're inhabited by ghosts!)

On my first game, i started supplying coal to a city's power plant, then passengers, then mail. then i bought a water tower and started supplying water (from a loooooong distance), but the water counter stayed at 0, no more growing, strange, as 2-3 trucks unloaded every month. has never happened again, though. (also, i'm now wary of power plants, and have not reached enough pop for any city to really need power).

Funding new buildings doesn't work, right?

Airports seem to be independent from the rest of stations, this is fine as they're the best towngrowers at the beggining (never ever try it with buses!), but when deleting an airport and trying to replace/reposition it, the name is not kept, so all planes just go wandering around.

Is economy steadily increasing?, never seen any production rate go down (well, industries close due to lack of supplying, but anything else)

Shouldn't Oil rigs generate much more cargo, just to make it profitable to go into 400km into the sea to get some of it, then another 400 inland to the closest refinery.

Oh, is there any chance this gets upgraded to the last version?, you just said it was a lot of work to make this.

And the grf files.... ?, But i'm quite surprised i've played again tycoon with the old locos :D !!!

So, see you again in 24hours, too many cities need me to grow, and too many sprites need to be drawn. no sleeping today! Keep up the good work, regards
6th Member of the Reciox - The Inner Circle

pak96 Simutrans Depot
http://www.raven.simutrans.com
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

I started this game after I released the beta version and I'm still the first! :mrgreen:
Attachments
tadaaaah
tadaaaah
Tuntston Transport, 1st Jan 2049.png (104.49 KiB) Viewed 3569 times
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

Capitals? Are those cities over a certain amount?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
mpettitt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mpettitt »

Korenn wrote:I started this game after I released the beta version and I'm still the first! :mrgreen:
Ahem! Time playing: 32 years, yet you are in 2049? Your one starts in 1950! I detect something fishy!

:D
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

mpettitt wrote:
Korenn wrote:I started this game after I released the beta version and I'm still the first! :mrgreen:
Ahem! Time playing: 32 years, yet you are in 2049? Your one starts in 1950! I detect something fishy!

:D
yup it's called using the command line options ;)

I started the game with -t 35600 to check if the monorail worked properly, and it did, but I decided to finish the game :D

lilman - a Capitol is a city of over 15k inhabitants (as you can see in the city view window). I plan to do something with this number in multiplayer. I had no capitols in this game, but 3 cities of 13k.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

I am in about 1970 and the biggest population I have is about 700. :( In total there are about 27,000 peeps - so I have a long way to go!

I am doing quite well in money terms though - I have about 15 million. This is from me supplying a steel producing place from about 20 different places, the steel then goes to a factory which produces toys and goods which go to my town with 700 people. Unfortunately there aren't really any big towns near it to keep the passenger and mail levels high - the nearest water is miles away, but I am working on it. Also I don't think the peeps like being starved.

Also are you introducing more cargo types for aircraft and ships? Flattening hills and building miles upon miles of diagonal track is giving me RSI I think. :lol:
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

you can use Autorail to build the diagonal tracks, and in the final release there will be the level terrain tool.

but I always pick my cities to grow in such a way that supplying the needed cargo is as easy as possible. (i.e. 2 towns close to each other, with factory, food plant and jeweller as close by as possible)
ronald
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ronald »

Korenn wrote:
pasky wrote:Could I please see the source? I would love to try this on Linux and also look at how you altered the map generation and especially the town growth algorithm. Thanks in advance :-).
I'll release the source once it's been bugfixed... I put 'beta' on there on purpose :mrgreen:
Lets start out stating this is not an attack, its but a warning...

While I can understand your desire to 'protect' people, the GPL requires that if you distribute modified binaries you are required to distribute the source you build from through the same means... The 'quality' of your release does not matter to the license.

The legal side of this is that you are currently in violation of the GPL and are not even allowed to have the source at hands. You are currently liable for copyright infrigment (sounds pretty nasty uh :/)

While I somehow doubt the OpenTTD copyright holders will attempt and crush you, I recommend that you do provide the sources, just to make it so you are not up for procecution by the copyright holders of OpenTTD.

I do hope you will keep up your contributions, TTD is one of the best games of all time!

Thanks for your time.
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

Can you continue playing when you have completed the challenge ?
Last edited by jacke on 26 Jun 2004 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

I have no doubt what so ever about the facts you state, but I will still not release the code yet.

my worry about copyright infringement is insignificant compared to my worry about the code looking like spaghetti put through a blender. I refuse to release code that's not ready or worth releasing.

But openttd developers prosecuting anyone for copyright infringement, that's a good one :lol:

jacke: yes you can, but the "game over" screen will only pop up once.
ronald
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ronald »

Very well, Your choise, at least you understand :-)

Just keep in mind: you do let people use the binary spagetti :D

By the way, ever taken a look at a few of the hackups available on sourceforge.net :-) your code can hardly be worse ... (or ARE you in fact the worst coder in the world ;-) )

and last: 1 bad doesn't make another bad 'good' ;-)

(using copyrighted game data by the way with openttd is not a problem as long as you have a license to the game data)

Peace.

(last thing i will say in the subject, it was not started as a fight, not intended as a fight, and i won't let it end in one either)
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Korenn wrote:But openttd developers prosecuting anyone for copyright infringement, that's a good one :lol:
This cracks me up too :lol:

While I know what you feel, people don't really like having others look at their debug, try-out code, it would be nice to at least release a linux binary in rpm format if such a one could be done. A lot of linux users would also like to use the OpenTTD challenge, but are currently unable to do so. I will not ask for a MacOS binary ;)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
habell
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by habell »

Korenn wrote:you can use Autorail to build the diagonal tracks, and in the final release there will be the level terrain tool.

but I always pick my cities to grow in such a way that supplying the needed cargo is as easy as possible. (i.e. 2 towns close to each other, with factory, food plant and jeweller as close by as possible)
Well, my problem is that when I supply food and stuf to the Shopping Mall it still gives "Imminent closure" so no city can grow bigger then 1000.

I've tried many times to service a shopping mall, but it always shuts down.

Is this a bug in the code?

Return to “General OpenTTD”