Town growths

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jensen1986
Engineer
Engineer

Town growths

Post by jensen1986 »

Hi all :)

My towns still grows in population, but its like the outer rims of the city don't get any bigger. 3 Towns where I've connected busses still have large areas with only small houses are. In my defense, the game have been running on its own every night, so the town areas should be bigger right?

Thanks in advance
planetmaker
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Town growths

Post by planetmaker »

If your towns grew bigger, then everything looks alright?

Town growth is not linear in diameter, and not even in size, it will slow down more the larger a town grows:
* Big houses with a lot of population usually are in the city centers. Thus towns can grow by replacing smaller houses with bigger ones. Replacing old houses by new is more common for bigger towns.
* A small town adding 10 houses to the outskirts grows visibly a lot while adding 10 new houses at the rim of a large town is barely noticable. Yet both grew by the same amount.
jensen1986
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jensen1986 »

Ahh ok - I've even tried setting up busterminals on the outskirts, but they are making zero dough :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

planetmaker wrote:If your towns grew bigger, then everything looks alright?

Town growth is not linear in diameter, and not even in size, it will slow down more the larger a town grows:
* Big houses with a lot of population usually are in the city centers. Thus towns can grow by replacing smaller houses with bigger ones. Replacing old houses by new is more common for bigger towns.
* A small town adding 10 houses to the outskirts grows visibly a lot while adding 10 new houses at the rim of a large town is barely noticable. Yet both grew by the same amount.
Do you know if there is a possibility to completely delete some zones to uniform borders between some cities ?
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Towns grow by houses, population is secondary. In short term population can be growing when town is shrinking and vice versa. So you need to look at house count, not population. Also where it grows is determined by road layout not transportation. And, as usual, don't test peoples' telepathy skills, they're quite good buy posting a savegame is still the most reliable way to get the answer to your particular problem.

P.S. There is only one way to change town zones: center zone expands a little on small towns when you fund buildings. Otherwise they're strictly tied to town size (house count).

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”