How many of you are Irish OpenTTD Players?

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

How many of you are Irish OpenTTD Players?

Post by NekoMaster »

So I'm working on a little something that might make some people happy, though its got me wondering something...

How many people here that play OpenTTD are Irish?

I hope that my plans to make an Irish trainset will make some people happy, especially because I'm trying to cover as much as I can so long as I have the data for stuff from various Irish railroads past and current.

I just hope that I dont upset anyone including all of Ireland in one big train set. BTW for now it'll be Realistically colored but in the future I plan to make a 2CC version which you can recolor in game based on company color.
Image Proud Canadian Image
Nekomasters Projects! (Downloads available on BaNaNaS!) \(>^w^<)/
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
# NML Category System (Organize your GRFS!) <- TT-Forums Exclusive Download!
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: How many of you are Irish OpenTTD Players?

Post by Kevo00 »

Irish trainset? Amazing! Ignore the politics, Irish railfans (and indeed the railways themselves) tend to be non-political.

What specific locos were you thinking of?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Kevo00 wrote:Irish trainset? Amazing! Ignore the politics, Irish railfans (and indeed the railways themselves) tend to be non-political.

What specific locos were you thinking of?

What ever I can find data on. So far I have drawn up the sprites for these CIE Classes : 001, 071, 101, 113, 121, 141/181, 201.

I dunno how much steam I'll be able to do since data is scarce for Irish steam (or any steam for that matter, I can never find the Power, Weight, Speed and Tractive Effort for steam an multiple units)
# NARS ADD-ON SET 2CC | 2cc Rapid Transit For Me! (2ccRTFM) | 2cc Wagons In NML (2ccWIN)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Would be great to do like me, start diesels / DMUs and electrics / EMUs first. Although, there isn't much electric rolling stock in Ireland... the only ones used are from the DART network, and they are EMUs.
NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

acs121 wrote:Would be great to do like me, start diesels / DMUs and electrics / EMUs first. Although, there isn't much electric rolling stock in Ireland... the only ones used are from the DART network, and they are EMUs.
Yeah, I already found that out, though hopefully I can get enough steam and diesel together to make a set thats at least as playable as the default/vanilla vehicles or better.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

Those classes sound like a good start. Irish steam locos tend to be more similar to the British than the diesels which were mainly made by GM.

Perhaps consider an NIR 80 class DMU? The mainstay of NIR for a long time and full of character.

NekoMaster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by NekoMaster »

Kevo00 wrote:Those classes sound like a good start. Irish steam locos tend to be more similar to the British than the diesels which were mainly made by GM.

Perhaps consider an NIR 80 class DMU? The mainstay of NIR for a long time and full of character.

Yes I have the Thumper on my data sheet, and I've marked it for drawing as its one of the Railcars/DMU's that I have full data for and I can get pictures of.

Also, heres a link to the sprites I have so far, you should be able to view the through dropbox though since sprites are small, you might need to zoom in (Hold CTRL and scroll up or down or on a phone, well, just pinch to zoom)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jq7b53npcvkc ... 3Qxea?dl=0
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

They look good so far - especially the 121 and 141.

acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

How about 8100s, 8200s and 8500s ?
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I made a thread for that. Literally the history of the 81/8300
EN-GB: Smoking like a train since 2015
CY-GB: Ysmygu fel trên ers 2015
GA-IE: Ag caitheamh tobac cosúil le traein ó 2015
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

RhapsodyTTD wrote: 02 Nov 2021 22:48 I made a thread for that. Literally the history of the 81/8300
You are replying to a post from over three years ago.

Also, anybody who wants to know about the history of an Irish EMU can read up on it on Wikipedia - so your post about the 8100 was kind of unnecessary to begin with.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

Well, I placed it in an appropriate discussion, and it's not a well known train outside of Ireland. Also, to call it unnecessary is, not going to lie, a bit personally insulting as I put quite a bit of time into research and sources. I do understand the amount of time since the last post, but assumed it was still active as it was near the top of a search term. I'd prefer if it were an administrator or moderator who called me out on this, but I felt it relevant at that time, and I'm still new here. I apologise though, and while I won't remove my response, I will make this my last on this thread. If an administrator or moderator request it, I will remove it.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Taschi wrote: 02 Nov 2021 23:36 Also, anybody who wants to know about the history of an Irish EMU can read up on it on Wikipedia - so your post about the 8100 was kind of unnecessary to begin with.
There's lots of stuff that's on Wikipedia if somebody really wants to know it. There's also a rich human tradition of re-telling information in a relatable way to a captive audience who may not know what to be interested in until somebody with more information and interest shares it with them.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

kamnet wrote: 03 Nov 2021 16:27 There's lots of stuff that's on Wikipedia if somebody really wants to know it. There's also a rich human tradition of re-telling information in a relatable way to a captive audience who may not know what to be interested in until somebody with more information and interest shares it with them.
Sure, but if I opened threads re-telling information about everything that I would like people to be interested in, I figure you would end up quite annoyed.

Anyhow, I do not just opening a thread telling the story of railway vehicle X is really appropriate content for a forum, but rather for something like a personal blog or a YouTube channel. The fact is that most of the captive audience will not really care about topic X. But you'll notice that I just ignored that thread and moved on with my life because I don't care all that much.

It's pulling up a three-year old thread just to promote your own thread that I find somewhat annoying.

Anyway, I don't want to be too hostile to a new user. Sorry if I've been too harsh.
RhapsodyTTD
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RhapsodyTTD »

I accept your apology. 👍

Return to “General OpenTTD”