The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:33 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Diagonal Canals
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:26 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

romazoon wrote:
Question to the experimented people with overlapping tile...should i go for overlaping the canal only from one side, because, if i understood well, the overlaping sprite has to comes in front and not from the back right ?

In this case it doesnt matter, as the overlaps wont reach so far that vehicles (or in this case ships) will cross over/under them, because you only need to overlap the land and shore-line, not the water.
The only problem that may arise is that overlaps at the far ends of an actual waterway may poke through ships that pass by. If that is the case then that can be solved by extending the boundingbox of the tile with the overlap.
That is a code-job, so the graphics artist doesnt have to worry about that.
You can safely draw all of the possible overlaps for all the sides, no computers will explode ;-)
And overlaps will probably always glitch, its a "feature" :tongue:

And I agree with your choice to draw the water and not the land, indeed you will then make them automatically compatible for each climate (and even snow-aware).

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:07 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

these look great, unfortunately I suspect it'll be one of the things that'll fall by the side and never be added to trunk...

Is there any patches that allow diagonal canals currently?

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 8:23 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Quast65 wrote:
You can safely draw all of the possible overlaps for all the sides, no computers will explode

thanks Quast !exactly what i needed to keep me busy today XD... And so, i put the fire extinguisher back to closet :mrgreen:

Don t be too pessimistic redirect left, first because there is already existing a newgrf hack that allow it for rivers so i don t see why it would not work for canals; Then the other reason, is if it doens t work as canal tiles, it could work as fake canal tiles (with overlaps) and so player will be able to cover the working canal.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Quast65 wrote:
overlaps will probably always glitch, its a "feature"

"Overlapping" isn´t even a "feature", it is an ugly "hack". But probably a reciprocal addition to a buggy game.

regards
Michael

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

So here are the pieces with water overlap...i m just unsure how the overlap part should be, is that fine like that ?

(edit: updated previous post with other overlaping tile, not posted in this reply because limit of 3 file)

Attachments:
Fake Canal Enlargement-Straight Piece with water overlap.png
Fake Canal Enlargement-Straight Piece with water overlap.png [ 8.24 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-With Bank&Water Overlap-for connection to other diagonal piece.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-With Bank&Water Overlap-for connection to other diagonal piece.png [ 8.8 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap B.png
Fake Canal Diagonal Piece-for connection to straight piece with Overlap B.png [ 8.5 KiB | Viewed 242 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:32 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

romazoon wrote:
And about matching graphics, i like a lot the one you use too... which set it comes from ? depending on the licence i could maybe have a try at doing matching graphics

That's just Japanese landscape with the classic TTD baseset. :wink:

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:46 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Pyoro wrote:
the classic TTD baseset

does japanset has customized canals ? i dont remember that, so i supose then your canals are from TTD baseset...and so are kinda licence limiting right ? even though i would do only the diagonal pieces with matching graphics (and so no problem as i would have to draw them from scratch, i could not reuse the existing ones for straight pieces and ship this in a newgrf publicly available... So i might prefer saving some time for now and try to see complete a first style of canals then will see later if we should add more (water type someone ? :mrgreen: )

Attachments:
All Canal Diagonal Tile (With&Without Overlap).png
All Canal Diagonal Tile (With&Without Overlap).png [ 40.59 KiB | Viewed 235 times ]

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:12 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

romazoon wrote:
Pyoro wrote:
the classic TTD baseset

does japanset has customized canals ? i dont remember that, so i supose then your canals are from TTD baseset...

Well, bugger me, I poked around a bit and it's not either of those.

I tried a few other GRFs that seemed like but didn't figure out which one is responsible for the canals. Well, if you're curious here's the list ... ^^;
Attachment:
amconfused.png
amconfused.png [ 10.81 KiB | Viewed 230 times ]

Maybe it's a parameter or something I forgot ^^;

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:34 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I think you were right when you said TTD base set graphics, those are activated in the game menu "option" i believe (not in parametes, neither in newgrf)

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:47 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

romazoon wrote:
I think you were right when you said TTD base set graphics, those are activated in the game menu "option" i believe (not in parametes, neither in newgrf)

Yes, I must correct my correction. The confusion happened because I tested in temperate climate. Temperate climate for some reason has different canals than arctic or tropic. So, yes, it's the TTD baseset. Sorry about the confusion ;)