Buildings in Glasgow

General talk about Transport Tycoon that isn't specific to TTD, TTDPatch or OpenTTD.
PaulC
Director
Director

Buildings in Glasgow

Post by PaulC »

I was up in Glasgow last weekend for the first time in about 20 years and couldn't resist geeking out a bit by visiting some of the real life Transport Tycoon buildings! :P It should be fairly obvious which buildings in the game were inspired by these locations...
Attachments
Building on Clyde Street
Building on Clyde Street
IMG_5287.JPG (89.19 KiB) Viewed 93713 times
St Enoch Centre
St Enoch Centre
IMG_5305.JPG (86.52 KiB) Viewed 93713 times
Livingstone Tower on Richmond Street
Livingstone Tower on Richmond Street
IMG_5316.JPG (79.91 KiB) Viewed 93713 times
PaulC
Director
Director

Re: Buildings in Glasgow

Post by PaulC »

More buildings...
Attachments
Townhead flats opposite Buchanan Street Bus Station
Townhead flats opposite Buchanan Street Bus Station
IMG_5337.JPG (115.11 KiB) Viewed 93712 times
Building on the corner of Buchanan Street and West George Street
Building on the corner of Buchanan Street and West George Street
IMG_5343.JPG (121.43 KiB) Viewed 93712 times
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Spectacular ! If you find the tube office building IRL...
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Nice pictures!

The tube office building acs121 is referring to might have roots in the design of the Shizuoka Press and Broadcasting Center in Tokyo, the Sony Tower in Osaka, or Lloyd’s Building in London.
Kevo00
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Kevo00 »

I was at a conference at Strathclyde university last year...the campus is on a steep hill, which gives it a certain OTTD feel in conjunction with that building...

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Roman wrote:Nice pictures!

The tube office building acs121 is referring to might have roots in the design of the Shizuoka Press and Broadcasting Center in Tokyo, the Sony Tower in Osaka, or Lloyd’s Building in London.
I'm talking about the horizontal tube office building. I don't think it even exists IRL.
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

acs121 wrote: I'm talking about the horizontal tube office building. I don't think it even exists IRL.
Can you post an image? I can't think of a horizontal tubular office building in TT right now.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Roman wrote:Can you post an image? I can't think of a horizontal tubular office building in TT right now.
Vertical, not horizontal. I don't know if it exists in real life, I'm sure I read somewhere that a few of the TT buildings were based on concepts rather than actual buildings.

Of course, if I ever go to Tokyo I'll be sure to visit the Nakagin Capsuple Tower: https://www.archdaily.com/110745/ad-cla ... o-kurokawa
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PaulC wrote:
Roman wrote:Can you post an image? I can't think of a horizontal tubular office building in TT right now.
Vertical, not horizontal. I don't know if it exists in real life, I'm sure I read somewhere that a few of the TT buildings were based on concepts rather than actual buildings.

Of course, if I ever go to Tokyo I'll be sure to visit the Nakagin Capsuple Tower: https://www.archdaily.com/110745/ad-cla ... o-kurokawa
Yes, i was talking about this capsule tower or somewhat.
Roman, you wanted a picture, here it is, in OpenGFX of course. It's from my very first game ever :wink:
They are the buildings with yellow/green/blue top.
Attachments
Société de Transports Citillois, 14 Oct 2056.png
(652.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

I never really liked most of the TTD buildings, so now I don't know if this makes me less inclined to go to Glasgow! :shock: :lol:
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:I never really liked most of the TTD buildings, so now I don't know if this makes me less inclined to go to Glasgow! :shock: :lol:
Oh, i don't like them either in the TTD graphics, though OpenGFX made the buildings look way better than before.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Very interesting to see, thanks for sharing! I wasn't aware the influence for some of the TT buildings were still standing.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

acs121 wrote:Oh, i don't like them either in the TTD graphics, though OpenGFX made the buildings look way better than before.
On the other hand, I'm rather fond of the TTD graphics but I don't care at all for much of OpenGFX. It's all subjective though.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

PaulC wrote:
acs121 wrote:Oh, i don't like them either in the TTD graphics, though OpenGFX made the buildings look way better than before.
On the other hand, I'm rather fond of the TTD graphics but I don't care at all for much of OpenGFX. It's all subjective though.
Oh, i'm fond of OpenGFX, but TTD graphics look really old, and it's graphics don't fit with post-2008 (release of OpenGFX) NewGRFs, like NARS, etc.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

TTD graphics are fine. OpenGFX graphics are fine. The buildings themselves just look awful! Like, who would live or work in these places? Now I know!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

kamnet wrote:TTD graphics are fine. OpenGFX graphics are fine. The buildings themselves just look awful! Like, who would live or work in these places? Now I know!
Oh, i don't know who would live or work here. I don't really like the buildings either. It would be great to have more buildings right now, like haussmannian buildings which are internationally known and built.
PaulC
Director
Director

Post by PaulC »

Blimey folks, they're just regular buildings, same as anywhere else...
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Redirect Left wrote:Very interesting to see, thanks for sharing! I wasn't aware the influence for some of the TT buildings were still standing.
http://www.tt-ms.de/backgrounds/ <-- here's a list, if you're interested. It's been out there since ages.

Also, here's a photograph of the Nakagin Capsule Tower I took 3 weeks ago. It's not in a great shape...
Nakagin Capsule Tower
Nakagin Capsule Tower
nakagin.jpg (140.23 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Redirect Left wrote:I wasn't aware the influence for some of the TT buildings were still standing.
What is truly amazing is that some of the longtime TTD players (such as myself) are still standing. :mrgreen:
Roman wrote:...It's not in a great shape...
Those cables remind me of some of the older apartment buildings here in Saint John. When they were originally built, they accommodated the communications providers with "inside the walls" channels for running the cables. Then, later on, whenever a cable failed, rather than pulling a replacement through the channels, they would simply drill a hole in the wall and drape a new cable down the outside. :P Greedy greedy ISP. :lol:
Roman
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Roman »

Demolition of iconic Nakagin Capsule Tower begins in Tokyo
https://www.dezeen.com/2022/04/12/nakag ... ins-tokyo/

Return to “General Transport Tycoon”