Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Post by colossal404 »

Kruemelchen wrote: 20 Aug 2022 15:43 - proper sized trucks and buses from Czech (latter also Polish) production (can anybody guess? :P)
We won't have a hard time guessing, just looking at the filename itself :D As i see there are two Skoda/Liaz 706 RO's on the right, one with trailer, good job drawing that mostly round shape! Just one thing, were those made with two part rear window? As i know they had one piece rear glasses, but i'm not really familiar with those...
On the right i see a Liaz 706 truck doing it's thing, smoking in the face of anyone who is following it :lol:
new feature to be announced: mail compartments!
So that's not just me who playing with the idea of adding mail to intercity buses :roll:
Interesting idea, i'm curious about how well could it be used in-game...

Keep up the good work!
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

colossal404 wrote: 20 Aug 2022 21:01 We won't have a hard time guessing, just looking at the filename itself :D As i see there are two Skoda/Liaz 706 RO's on the right, one with trailer, good job drawing that mostly round shape! Just one thing, were those made with two part rear window? As i know they had one piece rear glasses, but i'm not really familiar with those...
On the right i see a Liaz 706 truck doing it's thing, smoking in the face of anyone who is following it :lol:
Good catch! I see, it was not very challenging :D

And you are right about the rear window! Somehow I must have got that wrong and drew a split window, when it really only had a single window :oops:
Thank you for pointing that out! I'll jump right back to the drawing board :)
So that's not just me who playing with the idea of adding mail to intercity buses :roll:
Interesting idea, i'm curious about how well could it be used in-game...

Keep up the good work!
Thank you :)

From what I have tested so far, the concept works really well in-game (only tested in JGRPP). For villages and small towns, it saves me setting up a separate mail route :lol:

In the past I was afraid of adding it, because it means the buses are turned into articulated vehicles, which had its flaws. But since articulated vehicles are able to overtake slower traffic, I find it very enjoyable using articulated trucks/buses. The only downside is really only that the buses cannot use drive-in road stops. But to be honest, I think it looks strange when big buses use the rather crammed drive-ins, anyway :lol:
colossal404
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by colossal404 »

Kruemelchen wrote: 20 Aug 2022 23:22 From what I have tested so far, the concept works really well in-game (only tested in JGRPP). For villages and small towns, it saves me setting up a separate mail route :lol:
If you experimented with it already let me ask, how the game handles it? There's a separate bus and truck stop, do the station need both, or it could be loaded in any of them?
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

colossal404 wrote: 21 Aug 2022 09:42 If you experimented with it already let me ask, how the game handles it? There's a separate bus and truck stop, do the station need both, or it could be loaded in any of them?
You need to set up both bus and truck stop, so that the station delivers and accepts both passengers and freight (mail). Apart from that, the vehicle will load in both passengers and mail at either bus or truck stops.

Also, since train stations automatically provide access to freight, you don't need to set up a truck stop, and the "mail-bus" happily loads in mail at the bus stop (or, vice versa) :)

It works really well. In JGRPP, even in the buy menu, you see both cargo capacities, and technically, you can also have refits -- but I thought, better keep the magic simple :lol:
skoda 606.png
skoda 606.png (18.57 KiB) Viewed 4493 times
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Kruemelchen wrote: 08 Feb 2022 15:52 There you are, the attached minor release should have support for your set :)

SUV 0.4
I have adapted your SUV 0.4 into a version which supports my road GRF (JF Ratt Roads). Can I upload it to BaNaNaS? (using GPLv2 Licence)
I used a different GRF ID.

Maybe I can solve your uploading problem.

Here are the GRF and the source code.
Attachments
SUV_0_4_JF.grf
The GRF.
(1.39 MiB) Downloaded 59 times
SUV_0_4_JF_source.7z
The source code.
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 51 times
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 04 Feb 2023 06:41 I have adapted your SUV 0.4 into a version which supports my road GRF (JF Ratt Roads). Can I upload it to BaNaNaS? (using GPLv2 Licence)
I used a different GRF ID.

Maybe I can solve your uploading problem.

Here are the GRF and the source code.
I'm glad you're having interest in my set and adapted it to your road GRF! I was looking forward to seeing your Chinese themed GRFs taking shape. I haven't been able to peek a look yet, but I'll definitely give it a go!

Also, I'll happily adopt your additions into the master file :)

As for bananas, you are free to adopt and release versions of this set as long as it stays GPLv2 :wink:
JohnFranklin523
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by JohnFranklin523 »

Kruemelchen wrote: 08 Feb 2023 22:24 I'm glad you're having interest in my set and adapted it to your road GRF! I was looking forward to seeing your Chinese themed GRFs taking shape. I haven't been able to peek a look yet, but I'll definitely give it a go!
In fact, there is not any Chinese theme in the fork version.
Leaping Liu Never Dies
跨越不死,曙光永生
The founder of China Set; the operator of JFServer.
My GRFs besides China Set
My Scenarios and Heightmaps
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Quite a shame, maybe next time?
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

JohnFranklin523 wrote: 09 Feb 2023 11:22 In fact, there is not any Chinese theme in the fork version.
I was only expressing my positive attitude towards possible Chinese content in the future :D

Meanwhile it seems I have solved my upload problems with Bananas 8)
SUV is now downloadable in-game up to version 0.4

The next version 0.5 will sport new vehicles and support for JF Ratt Roads (many thanks) :)
I'm sure I can compile a release soon (fingers crossed)
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Today I want to show some trucks I have been able to add to my set in the last couple of weeks:
A complete set of Czech Tatra* trucks from the 1940s up to today!
*built also by Praga and Avia
variety of tatra trucks
variety of tatra trucks
tatras.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 2978 times
Growing up close to Czech Rep., I sometimes peeked a look at heavy Tatra trucks (the ones build from the 80s) coming and going from nearby quarries — the upcoming SUV version 0.5 will bring those now to OpenTTD! :)

Edit: forgot to mention, in v 0.5 a couple of Tatra trucks will be able to move over 60t :!:
However, I plan to add heavy cargo trailers with up to 100t capacity in the future :wink:
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Okay, so before I start to add lots of new stuff to this set, I thought to push a new version to the aether :)

Have fun with version 0.5!

Whats new?
Besides many new light and heavy trucks, vans, buses and tractors intended to pull weight across industrial sides, I have added a big new feature: mail compartments!
This means, some vehicles are now able to transport both passengers and mail at the same time!
While this behaviour is configurable via parameter, being activated by standard, it lets your rural buses service all transportation needs across villages. This not only saves you from creating both mail and passenger routes separately, but also implements the dual-use of buses with freight compartment you find in remote areas around the globe :idea:

As always, if you have any ideas of improvement, bug reports or really any thought about this update, please write a reply :)

Edit: In the first post you can find a timeline with all vehicles of this set :)
Attachments
SUV_0_5_source.7z
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
SUV_0_5.grf
(2.29 MiB) Downloaded 54 times
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

In addition to the problem described here, I have a minor problem with Waterway road. For some unknown reason, when used with Timberwolf vehicles, some will move to waterways, specifically stagecoaches.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Argus wrote: 27 Feb 2023 15:28 In addition to the problem described here, I have a minor problem with Waterway road. For some unknown reason, when used with Timberwolf vehicles, some will move to waterways, specifically stagecoaches.
If I understand you correctly, your problem concerns Timberwolfs Road Vehicle Sets. Sadly speaking, there is nothing I can do about this, so best to report this to Timberwolf instead :wink:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I wrote in the appropriate topic :) Timberwolf isn't here now, but at least he's reading this...
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Uploaded to Bananas with support for the upcoming Q65Roads set by Quast65 :)
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I downloaded it from the link before it was on Bananas, will the support be there yet?
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Are roads part of the AATV set? I can no longer add it to URatt if I also have Waterway :)
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

Funny! I have a question about compatibility with U&RaTT, and others supporting NRT. You have many "hidden" types of roads, there is no need for this, and it will not lead to the best. It is noticeable that many players will face a problem due to the limitation of 64 types. I suggest setting ROAD for all cars by default. Despite the fact that horses and tractors are driving along the highway. It's easier not to follow the reserved paths on the highway. U&RaTT 0.8 compatibility with SUVs will be broken...
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

As the number of different road sets increases, it may become almost impossible to manage compatibility. Already in version 0.7a, there are sometimes problems, it's enough if I set it up stupidly...
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

ufiby wrote: 28 Feb 2023 16:51 Funny! I have a question about compatibility with U&RaTT, and others supporting NRT. You have many "hidden" types of roads, there is no need for this, and it will not lead to the best. It is noticeable that many players will face a problem due to the limitation of 64 types. I suggest setting ROAD for all cars by default. Despite the fact that horses and tractors are driving along the highway. It's easier not to follow the reserved paths on the highway. U&RaTT 0.8 compatibility with SUVs will be broken...
It is quite assumptive and judgemental to say, there exists no need for something that other people do without asking why they do it in the first place.

Taking that aside, as far as I remember, hidden roadtypes won't count into the limitation of 64 types.

Personally, I dislike farming tractors clogging the highways. That's one of the reasons I made this set in the first place. And my initial hope (this set was one of the first to be built against NRT) was that many new vehicle sets will pop out, that would be using the NRT feature. As time told, people mostly used NRT to create eyecandy road types, which wasn't what it was created for in the first place. Yet people like eyecandy. And now there is a discussion that 64 road types is not enough.

In my games, I only use a handful of road types, and a handful of newobject sets. I think that's enough, but that only counts for my personal use case. Also I think one set of road types is enough for one game, but that also probably only accounts for me personally ;)

It is of course debatable if all the features of this set are required for every player. That's why I'm happy you stepped up and told me your opinion.
I already thought about a compatibility mode. Good you gave this idea new impetus. (If my sets are prone to something, then it is feature creep :lol: )

PS: In my current game, I still use U&RaTT 0.2 :lol:
Needless to say I will add compatibility for 0.8 once I can take a look at the types :wink:

Return to “Graphics Development”