Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Supplemental Unsurfaced Road Vehicles Set (SUV) (OpenTTD 1.10 required)

Post by Quast65 »

the attached prerelease of AATV should work now with your canals
Thank you, the amphibious vehicles are swimming nicely now! :bow:
Generally speaking, the roadtype that is used by the vehicles has to have support (powered roadtype list) for the roadtype of the actual type of road. In other words, if you want ROAD vehicles to support your road, you have to code an empty ROAD roadtype, that has support for your road. In case of WWAY*, you'd want to create an empty roadtype WWAY and insert the roadtype labels of your roadset under "powered_roadtype_list".
Yes, I have been fiddeling with this a bit before (and that way I could get the ships on my canals, before you added my roadtypes to your GRF), but I wasn't able to get the amphibious vehicles to swim.
They didnt recognize that they were on water so to say.

As you said earlier, you use a switch to check for the roadtype.
For future releases (or if I make some more watery roads), how do I get my hypothetical new roads to be recognized by that switch?
Is there a special label for that?
kamnet wrote: 29 Jan 2022 02:37 But having just recently tallied up all the roadtypes and tramtypes that each set provides, this combo should come out to exactly 64.
Have you only counted all the roadtypes that you actually see in the build-menu?
Because there could be "hidden" roadtypes (like for example the empty ROAD roadtype mentioned above) and they may also count towards the 64.
(not sure about that though)

EDIT:
AFAIK, I believe that RATTROADS has at least one roadtype that can only be used by towns and not by users and is therefor not in the build-menu.
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

kamnet wrote: 29 Jan 2022 02:37 At first blush this appears to be an error with NRT roads. But having just recently tallied up all the roadtypes and tramtypes that each set provides, this combo should come out to exactly 64. No matter which way I re-arrange the files, one of them is always going to generate an error.
This doesn't load the GRFs on my end either.

I really think this has to do with what Quast65 suspects is the error. The 64 roadtypes limit should be reached.

In fact my sets use a lot of hidden roadtypes, as I have many different types of road vehicles in my sets. Take AATV, it alone uses 6 roadtypes, SUV uses another 4; and WaterWayRoad has an ever growing amount of right now 9 roadtypes (in arctic climate). So, if you use all the sets together you already have max. 19/64 used.
And if I'm correct about supermops' GRFs, I think they use a lot of roadtypes, too.

So it is no wonder, you are hitting the 64 roadtypes limit :(

The only thing I can do about it, is to put more roadtypes behind a parameter (as I do with climate- or GRF-specific roadtypes), so they won't count when the parameter is switched off.
Quast65 wrote: 29 Jan 2022 09:42 Yes, I have been fiddeling with this a bit before (and that way I could get the ships on my canals, before you added my roadtypes to your GRF), but I wasn't able to get the amphibious vehicles to swim.
They didnt recognize that they were on water so to say.

As you said earlier, you use a switch to check for the roadtype.
For future releases (or if I make some more watery roads), how do I get my hypothetical new roads to be recognized by that switch?
Is there a special label for that?
The thing is, the AATV set uses different labels for the different kind of amphibious vehicles (I have ca. 50 vehicles planned); so a floating bus uses a different label as a hovercraft, because a hovercraft can go on swamp but not on highway — the floating bus is the exact opposite, but cannot go on ice and snow (and off-road) like a hovercraft. Those vehicles are for special use cases anyway, so I think they should be special in openttd, too :oops:

So in theory, you'd have to create a hidden roadtype for everyone of these labels. (I hope they get adopted by other GRFs, in case someone wants to have more hovercrafts or whatnot :lol: )

But, the switches I use can only recognize labels I have given in the "roadtypetable". So I have to make extra support for any new watery road in my sets. Or else, they would "go" on the canals, but they would be using the on-land graphics, as I have made that the standard-case.

However, I'd happily give support for CAN0 to CAN9, in case you'd want to make more canals :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

I have to make extra support for any new watery road in my sets. Or else, they would "go" on the canals, but they would be using the on-land graphics, as I have made that the standard-case.
I see, good to know that there is nothing more that I can do from my side, saves me some searching! :tongue:
However, I'd happily give support for CAN0 to CAN9, in case you'd want to make more canals
Thanks again, that would be nice. :bow:
I think that will be enough :mrgreen:

One thing I am thinking of, is making a full-tile water road (feel free to also add that idea to your set).
If you surround it with waterobjects, the road does not submerge..
Example715.png
Example715.png (65.41 KiB) Viewed 12504 times
Opens up some more possibly interesting eyecandy options ;-)

All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I'm already looking forward to peeking a look at your canals :mrgreen:
Quast65 wrote: 29 Jan 2022 15:09 One thing I am thinking of, is making a full-tile water road (feel free to also add that idea to your set).
If you surround it with waterobjects, the road does not submerge..

Opens up some more possibly interesting eyecandy options ;-)
If you take a look at the WaterWayRoad 0.4 dev version I posted above, there is a "lake fairway" for that purpose. Also, there are NewObjects for stopping seawater to flood the road :)
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Kruemelchen wrote: 29 Jan 2022 15:21 I'm already looking forward to peeking a look at your canals
Example716.png
Example716.png (110.97 KiB) Viewed 12486 times
Its sadly only for my personal games, as they have a lot of issues (bridges and tunnels being most obvious ones) and need a huge manual on how and where to place them.
The narrow canal for example is formed by using 2 roads next to each other and really have to be one-way. (so just imagine an A.I. getting its hands on it ;-) )

But your amphibious vehicles and ships now can give them some extra (moving) eyecandy ;-)
If you take a look at the WaterWayRoad 0.4 dev version I posted above, there is a "lake fairway" for that purpose. Also, there are NewObjects for stopping seawater to flood the road :)
Cool!
Very good idea by already adding overlaps (for example to change the appearance of the water from lakewater to seawater), but could it be that the offsets are incorrect? They dont overlap a road entirely...
Example717.png
Example717.png (36.58 KiB) Viewed 12486 times

Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Quast65 wrote: 29 Jan 2022 15:55 Its sadly only for my personal games, as they have a lot of issues (bridges and tunnels being most obvious ones) and need a huge manual on how and where to place them.
The narrow canal for example is formed by using 2 roads next to each other and really have to be one-way. (so just imagine an A.I. getting its hands on it ;-) )
Well, it's always nice to have more variety in canals! I would love to have my boats move along the Grachts :wink:
I think it would be a good idea to have 2 one-way roads and in between one canal, so the boats can go along the road vehicles (and parking eyecandy boats too), like that:
gracht.png
gracht.png (5.25 KiB) Viewed 12450 times
Quast65 wrote: 29 Jan 2022 15:55 Cool!
Very good idea by already adding overlaps (for example to change the appearance of the water from lakewater to seawater), but could it be that the offsets are incorrect? They dont overlap a road entirely...
To be honest that was a failed attempt at providing sea-level waterways. I never really figured out how to handle overlaps properly :oops:
It's probably nicer to use GarryG's objects for anything eyecandy :lol:
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Loads and loads of idea's my friend ;-)

This game is far from being at it's end of development :]

kamnet

Post by kamnet »

Quast65 wrote: 29 Jan 2022 09:42 Have you only counted all the roadtypes that you actually see in the build-menu?
Because there could be "hidden" roadtypes (like for example the empty ROAD roadtype mentioned above) and they may also count towards the 64.
No, I had not considered that at all, and it would make sense. Thank you for pointing this out.
Kruemelchen wrote: 29 Jan 2022 14:22 The only thing I can do about it, is to put more roadtypes behind a parameter (as I do with climate- or GRF-specific roadtypes), so they won't count when the parameter is switched off.
I know it's a lot of work to do so, but I'd certainly appreciate it. Also, if I could make another suggestion on that, could you also make the speed limits a parameter? Would it be possible to list all the roadtypes, and if you set a speed limit of "0" that the roadtype is disabled?
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

A speed limit of 0 means unlimited speed
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

ufiby wrote: 30 Jan 2022 11:15 A speed limit of 0 means unlimited speed
What about 1? :D

Sorry, just trying to think of a way to keep the interface to uncluttered for users while still giving some options.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

kamnet wrote: 30 Jan 2022 12:53
ufiby wrote: 30 Jan 2022 11:15 A speed limit of 0 means unlimited speed
What about 1? :D

Sorry, just trying to think of a way to keep the interface to uncluttered for users while still giving some options.
Then you'll have an entry for a road type with the maximum speed of 1kph. If a road type should be hidden, the author has to hide it with the flag ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDEN. And yes, this is controllable by a parameter. But in the case of a parameter the set author should be able to deactivate the road type instead of hiding it. If deactivated, the road type shouldn't count into the 64-types limit, should it?

Tschö, Auge
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

If I introduce a means to deactivate (not hide, but deactivate completely) certain roadtypes, I'll use extra parameters for that.

Nothing is more confusing as putting an arbitrary number into the speed limit, when you can have a boolean switch instead :wink:

PS: yes, I think only deactivated roadtypes won't count into the roadtype limit, as being deactivated means, the game won't be able to load them into the game as the code is phased out completely by an if-clause
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello Kruemelchen

I have a question about some of the vehicles in your set. There are lorries, vans/pickups and cars (german PKW) in your set, that was in reality intended for use on normal streets (i.e. DKW F8, Barkas B1000, IFA W50 and so on). IMHO it would be nice to use those vehicles on paved ("normal") roads (andother vehicles like tractors) only on unpaved roads. Is that realisable with a not to high effort?

Tschö, Auge
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Auge wrote: 31 Jan 2022 15:39 Hello Kruemelchen

I have a question about some of the vehicles in your set. There are lorries, vans/pickups and cars (german PKW) in your set, that was in reality intended for use on normal streets (i.e. DKW F8, Barkas B1000, IFA W50 and so on). IMHO it would be nice to use those vehicles on paved ("normal") roads (andother vehicles like tractors) only on unpaved roads. Is that realisable with a not to high effort?

Tschö, Auge
Hi Auge,

you should be able to separate normal trucks/cars and tractors (and heavy machinery) with speedways or basically any roadtype with a speed limit over 70~80kph.

I think generally it might be easier to use road waypoints (introduced in JGRPP 0.46) to keep tractors off the busy roads.

I think different people use roadtypes differently, so I went with a "middle ground" solution. Normal trucks/cars will go on every road except off-road (only dust roads, if the parameter is set for that), whereas farming tractors etc won't go on speedways and such.
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Kruemelchen wrote: 01 Feb 2022 09:17 you should be able to separate normal trucks/cars and tractors (and heavy machinery) with speedways or basically any roadtype with a speed limit over 70~80kph.

I think generally it might be easier to use road waypoints (introduced in JGRPP 0.46) to keep tractors off the busy roads.
I think, you didn't understand my concern. I know about road waypoints in the newest version of JGRPP an I really welcome this new feature. But the problem is, that I can buy vehicles from your set only in the depot of one road type in my own set and the vehicles are not able to reach stations of any other road type of my set.
Kruemelchen wrote: 01 Feb 2022 09:17 I think different people use roadtypes differently, so I went with a "middle ground" solution. Normal trucks/cars will go on every road except off-road (only dust roads, if the parameter is set for that), whereas farming tractors etc won't go on speedways and such.
I took a look into the source code of SUV 0.3.2 (the latest source code version I found in this thread) and I suspect the road type labels of my set being the cause of the incompatibility. For all roads that are not intended for pedestrians only, ROAD is set as compatible road type (beside the other types of my set) but I can only buy your vehicles in the depot of dirt road (Feldweg) because this type is using the label DIRT.

Is there anything I can do in my set to solve the issue?

Tschö, Auge
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Auge wrote: 06 Feb 2022 21:13 I think, you didn't understand my concern. I know about road waypoints in the newest version of JGRPP an I really welcome this new feature. But the problem is, that I can buy vehicles from your set only in the depot of one road type in my own set and the vehicles are not able to reach stations of any other road type of my set.
Ah, now I understand what you meant :oops:

I'll add compatibility and upload an updated version soon-ish :)

If you can't wait for that, you can just add your Labels to the roadtype-table AND the different hidden road-types, that are defined just below the roadtype-table in the SUV set. (it's unwise to add my labels to your set because of the limit of road-types)

But, really, it shouldn't take me long to update it ;)

LG
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Kruemelchen wrote: 07 Feb 2022 13:07 Ah, now I understand what you meant :oops:
To be clear: When i wrote my first request I didn't knew the real cause myself. :lol:
Kruemelchen wrote: 07 Feb 2022 13:07 I'll add compatibility and upload an updated version soon-ish :)
Thank you very much. :-)

Tschö, Auge
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Auge wrote: 07 Feb 2022 15:49 Thank you very much. :-)
There you are, the attached minor release should have support for your set :)

SUV 0.4
New to this minor release are an off-road bus (Torsus) and a light electric transporter/bus/truck (Ari).
Other than that, support for several Roadtype-Sets has been added or improved.

However, this version removes a vehicle (AmphiRanger) in favour of the AATV set (get prerelease here), which has been branched off this set. This means, to be able to upgrade your existing savegame, you have to delete every instance of the AmphiRanger vehicle, and add the new version manually (no automatic update). I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
Attachments
SUV_0_4.grf
(1.73 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
SUV_0_4_source.7z
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I'd like to push the update to Bananas, but every time I'm trying to upload a file through the web interface, I get the following error message:

Code: Select all

Error: tus: failed to upload chunk at offset 0, caused by [object ProgressEvent], originated from request (response code: 0, response text: )
Does anyone have a clue, what might be going on? ?(
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

I hope you all enjoy the vacation season :)

Meanwhile, I drew a few new trucks and buses to fill out a few gaps in the set, most notably the 1930s and 2020s, so old and new (electric) vehicles :)
new skoda trucks and more.png
new skoda trucks and more.png (25.43 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
You will get with the next update:
- new mini trucks and buses from East German and Czech production
- proper sized trucks and buses from Czech (latter also Polish) production (can anybody guess? :P)
- electric vans and a new multifunctional British six-wheeled tractor :lol:

Other than that, there's a new feature to be announced: mail compartments! :idea:
What that means :?: You can transport both passengers and mail at once :D
Several buses now have the capability (set via parameter) to serve passenger and mail needs at the same time, saving the end user the hassle to send post trucks to rural villages. This hints at the real world counterpart: rural mixed-use buses, as they are used i.e. in Scandinavia :)

Return to “Graphics Development”