[NRT] RattRoads - 1.2.1 released 05-20-23!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [NRT] RattRoads - 1.0.2 released 05-17-20!

Post by Andrew350 »

alluke wrote: 09 Aug 2020 12:02 Would it be possible to add an option to disallow houses and sidewalks along dirt roads? I use them mainly for forestry/mining and houses don't really fit there.
Sure, that seems reasonable. I'll add it to my to-do list :)
alluke
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by alluke »

Thanks, please do the same for 90km/h roads, Theyre mostly connecting smaller towns together.
Attachments
Näyttökuva 2020-8-15 kello 10.15.54.png
Näyttökuva 2020-8-15 kello 10.15.54.png (182.45 KiB) Viewed 9131 times
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

[this is a slightly offtopic rant-idea-thing; and don't worry this isn't directed at you alluke, just thinking out loud here!]

So I've been thinking on all these parameters people want: individual speed limits, introduction dates, houses, etc. for every single roadtype. I totally understand wanting lots of customization, but the sheer amount of parameters it would take to accommodate everything is just massive. I've said before: implementing it isn't a problem, but what holds me back from actually doing it is the thought of opening up the parameter window and just seeing a huge wall of text and numbers, that to most people is just nonsense. I would like for more experienced players to have options to tailor things to their playstyle, but I also don't want the setup to be overwhelming and tedious for everybody else (including me :mrgreen:)

What I would love to see, is some form of expandable tree system for the NewGRF parameter window, similar to the game settings window. This way only the "basic" settings could be displayed at first (these are just mockups btw) :
grfsettingsbasic.png
grfsettingsbasic.png (6.47 KiB) Viewed 9063 times
But by clicking on an option it could be expanded out to allow customizing things individually:
grfsettingsexpanded.png
grfsettingsexpanded.png (13.53 KiB) Viewed 9063 times
(Bonus points if the so-called "preset" in my example could change the individual values in its child parameters below it on-the-fly, but that might be asking too much :wink:)

Just being able to better organize settings and/or hide advanced tweakables behind a collapsible menu would go a long way to make NewGRF setup so much better, especially for new players.

I think something like this would be very useful for many authors who want similar levels of customization without the linear, unorganized settings menu that currently comes with it, but that's just my thoughts. Dunno if any devs read through the graphics forums anymore, but I wanted to put this out there anyway in case someone might feel the desire to make it happen or have some thoughts on it. I at least think it would be very useful and awesome, and would love to see something like it in OpenTTD :)

[end idea-thing]
GarryG
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GarryG »

Like that idea with main menu and a sub-menu so it easy to find the sections you want. :bow: :bow:

Maybe OpenTTD could do something similar in the Selection Menus in game and have the Menu and sub-menus too :D

Like this menu from my games:
Selection Menu.png
Selection Menu.png (13.96 KiB) Viewed 9041 times
Instead of seeing everythiong that is "AuzAddOns" you would click on it and it would then open up a sub-menu to list them.

Same with the others so all you would see the main folders

AuzAddOns
AuzBeaches
AuzWater
AuzSwamp
AuzLandscape
and so on.

Just click on the one you want to open the sub-menus.

But this wrong place to talk about this too.

Cheers
Soot Happens
Screenshot Of The Month Winner March 2020
All my projects are GPLv2 License unless stated.
Auz Road Sets: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=87335
Auz Project Releases: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=84725
Auz Trains: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74193
Auz Industry Sets: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74471
Auz Objects: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75657
Auz Bridges: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=75248
Auz Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=76390
Auz Tracks: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=82691
Auz Subway Stations: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=85335
Auz Eyecandy TramTracks: viewtopic.php?t=89908
Diesel Power
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Diesel Power »

YES!!! Please do this. I've been waiting for somome to add customisable speed limits since NRT was first muted. The parameter tree is a great idea. Feels intuitive as it matches the setting menu.
Quast65
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Quast65 »

Hiya!

I was customizing your nice roadset a bit Andrew and made a snow-overlay for asphalt roads that matches the one of the dirt-road.
Screenie_SNOW.png
Screenie_SNOW.png (159.4 KiB) Viewed 8762 times
Maybe its also usefull for you ;-)
DIRT-ROADS_SNOW_OVERLAY_Quast65.png
(14.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
(I noticed that one of the snow-lines on the bridges in the screenshot was a bit narrow, fixed that in the overlay-file)
Projects: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=57266
Screenshots: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=56959
Scenario of The Netherlands: viewtopic.php?f=60&t=87604

Winner of the following screenshot competitions:
sep 2012, jan 2013, apr 2013, aug 2013, mar 2014, mar 2016, oct 2020
All my work is released under GPL-license (either V2 or V3), if not clearly stated otherwise.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Nice :) I've saved it and will no doubt find use for it in the future to improve the existing snow overlays :)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

I would like to update my vehicles newgrf to be compliant with NRT.
For example, I want to disable slow vehicles (horse carriages, farm feeders etc) from entering into HWAY.
How to achieve this? I can't find any source examples :(

edit:
I defined

Code: Select all

roadtypetable { ROAD, OFFR, HAUL, SAND, DIRT, GRAV, ASPT, HWAY }
and for horse carriages added

road_type: OFFR;
but it don't work - I can buy/run horse carriages on HWAY.
Same for U&RATT. Probably it is general issue - ROAD type is commonly defined as powered for all road types?
Formerly known as: McZapkie
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Another favorite games: freeciv longturn, OHOL/2HOL.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

McZapkie wrote: 21 Dec 2020 18:30 I would like to update my vehicles newgrf to be compliant with NRT.
For example, I want to disable slow vehicles (horse carriages, farm feeders etc) from entering into HWAY.
How to achieve this? I can't find any source examples :(
The horse carriages should not have support for HWAY, so you exclude that from the compatible road type list.
Example code is:

item(FEAT_ROADTYPES, off_road, 1) {
	property {
		label: "OFRD";
		roadtype_flags: bitmask(ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDEN);
		powered_roadtype_list: ["ROAD", "HAUL", "OFFR", "SAND", "DIRT", "GRAV", "ASPT", "FORD", "FRZN", "IWAY", "SETT", "ASP1", "AUZB", "AUZC", "AUZD", "AUZE", "AUZ5", "AUZF", "AUZ1", "ORD0", "ORD1", "ORD2", "ORD3", "ORD4", "IRD0", "IRD1", "SRD0", "SRD1", "SRD2", "ARD0", "ARD1", "ARD2", "ARD3", "ARD4", "ARD5", "URD0", "URD1"];
	}
}
So, basically, you take a unused label, mark it as hidden, and define your supported road types, i.e. the above lacks support for high speed asphalt roads or highways. (The above labels are mainly from my own sets, supermop's or Garry's road type sets, U&RaTT and this set.)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Oh, great, I didn't knew that it is possible to define such 'virtual' road.
If I understand correctly, horse carriages would vanish in case of lack of NRT grf?
(because there is only ROAD in vanilla openttd, which is absent in above list because is bonded to HWAY?)
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Kruemelchen wrote: 26 Dec 2020 17:35

property {
	}
}
So, basically, you take a unused label, mark it as hidden, and define your supported road types
A question especially about this flag. The documentation about roadtype properties states the flag ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDEN to hide the road type from players but make it available to towns. So I would interpret it as only be buildable by towns but not by players. Is it a good idea to make the road type hidden, especially in McZapkie's use case (farm feeders, etc.; roads that have to be built by players)?

Tschö, Auge

[edit]: corrected a typo, ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDED versus ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDEN
Last edited by Auge on 27 Dec 2020 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Auge wrote: 26 Dec 2020 22:54 A question especially about this flag. The documentation about roadtype properties states the flag ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDED to hide the road type from players but make it available to towns. So I would interpret it as only be buildable by towns but not by players. Is it a good idea to make the road type hidden, especially in McZapkie's use case (farm feeders, etc.; roads that have to be built by players)?
Wouldn't you need to set the flag ROADTYPE_FLAG_TOWN_BUILD in order for the road type to be usable by towns? I'm using hidden road types in my own sets and there has never been the case of accidental uses by towns.
If I understand McZapkie right, they wouldn't provide a special farm road for the tractors, or did I miss something? ?(
McZapkie wrote: 26 Dec 2020 22:18 Oh, great, I didn't knew that it is possible to define such 'virtual' road.
If I understand correctly, horse carriages would vanish in case of lack of NRT grf?
(because there is only ROAD in vanilla openttd, which is absent in above list because is bonded to HWAY?)
I put ROAD into the powered_roadtype list, so they would work with or without NRT grfs.
But in case you want to not give vehicles the ability to run on ROAD, but preserve compatibility, you can always check if certain roadtypes are available and, if not, let them run on ROAD.
(they wouldn't vanish, though, just become not-movable)
Auge
Director
Director

Post by Auge »

Hello
Kruemelchen wrote: 26 Dec 2020 23:24
Auge wrote: 26 Dec 2020 22:54 A question especially about this flag. The documentation about roadtype properties states the flag ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDEN to hide the road type from players but make it available to towns. So I would interpret it as only be buildable by towns but not by players. Is it a good idea to make the road type hidden, especially in McZapkie's use case (farm feeders, etc.; roads that have to be built by players)?
Wouldn't you need to set the flag ROADTYPE_FLAG_TOWN_BUILD in order for the road type to be usable by towns? I'm using hidden road types in my own sets and there has never been the case of accidental uses by towns.
You are right. The town builds only roads with the flag ROADTYPE_FLAG_TOWN_BUILD. But, what's the point of ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDEN then? Such a road is hidden from the player (so one as a player can not build the road?) and it's not buildable by towns. :?:

Tschö, Auge
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Auge wrote: 27 Dec 2020 00:35 But, what's the point of ROADTYPE_FLAG_HIDDEN then? Such a road is hidden from the player (so one as a player can not build the road?) and it's not buildable by towns
It is for precisely the problem McZapkie is trying to solve: Allow vehicles to drive only on certain roadtypes, even if they are otherwise (in)compatible. It is just some behind-the-scenes magic to allow vehicle NewGRFs to get creative with which roadtypes vehicles can drive on or not.

(It can also be used for other things, but that's the main purpose)
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

BTW, there is small bug: drive-through station placed in town is converting road to dirt, even if better road is chosen (town road is sett).
Projects: Reproducible Map Generation patch, NewGRFs: Manpower industries, PolTrams, Polroad, 600mm narrow gauge, wired, ECS industry extension, V4 CEE train set, HotHut.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

Hmm, is this in an early-start game (pre-1920) by chance?

If so I think it's due to a weird quirk of NRT where road stops always have "rural" road sprites. The special (hidden) early game roadtype is 'faked' so that rural roads are dirt and town roads are sett, which has the unfortunate side effect that when you build a road stop in a town with sett pavement, it reverts to the rural (dirt) sprite instead (no matter which roadtype you have selected).

In essence, the sett pavement that spawns in towns on map generation isn't really sett pavement, it just looks like it. This can be solved by using the convert road tool on the affected stations :)
[+] Spoiler
(This problem really is bad design on my part, but I think I saw someone was working on a fix to change this behavior in NRT as well. Also thanks for making me check, as I apparently forgot to mention this behavior in the readme. Not that anyone reads those things, but I still should have mentioned it :oops:)
2TallTyler
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by 2TallTyler »

This was a bug with NRT and will be fixed in the next release of OpenTTD in April. :)

https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/pull/8400
Wahazar
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wahazar »

Kruemelchen wrote: 26 Dec 2020 17:35 The horse carriages should not have support for HWAY, so you exclude that from the compatible road type list.
Example code is:

property {
		label: "OFRD";
		powered_roadtype_list: ["ROAD", "HAUL", "OFFR", "SAND", "DIRT", "GRAV", "ASPT", "FORD", "FRZN", "IWAY", "SETT", "ASP1", "AUZB", "AUZC", "AUZD", "AUZE", "AUZ5", "AUZF", "AUZ1", "ORD0", "ORD1", "ORD2", "ORD3", "ORD4", "IRD0", "IRD1", "SRD0", "SRD1", "SRD2", "ARD0", "ARD1", "ARD2", "ARD3", "ARD4", "ARD5", "URD0", "URD1"];
	}
}
Weird, I implemented above and have horses going on DIRT or SETT, but not on ROAD nor ASP1 (in case of Rattroads). Are Basic Asphalt an Improved Asphalt roads defined as in original post?

Works well with Ubify road set.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

McZapkie wrote: 11 Jan 2021 21:11 Weird, I implemented above and have horses going on DIRT or SETT, but not on ROAD nor ASP1 (in case of Rattroads). Are Basic Asphalt an Improved Asphalt roads defined as in original post?
Yes and no. Due to a mistake of putting the wrong label on the incorrect roadtype, Basic Asphalt is both ROAD and ASP0. In an effort to keep compatibility with existing saves, and to save a "wasted" label, ROAD is still built by towns but hidden while ASP0 is only built by players, with the idea being that eventually the town-built roads will have small visual differences, but for now they are identical. Adding ASP0 to your list should solve the issue.

Sorry it's a bit confusing, I guess I never updated the original post after 1.0 with the new roadtypes and labels. I'll write myself a note to do that later :) ASP1 is still the same though, so not sure why that wouldn't work.
Kruemelchen
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Kruemelchen »

Andrew350 wrote: 11 Jan 2021 23:02 Yes and no. Due to a mistake of putting the wrong label on the incorrect roadtype, Basic Asphalt is both ROAD and ASP0. In an effort to keep compatibility with existing saves, and to save a "wasted" label, ROAD is still built by towns but hidden while ASP0 is only built by players, with the idea being that eventually the town-built roads will have small visual differences, but for now they are identical. Adding ASP0 to your list should solve the issue.
That's good to know! Somehow I completely missed that :lol:
I'm gonny fix this in my sets, too.

Return to “Graphics Development”