[NRT] RattRoads - 1.2.1 released 05-20-23!

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [NRT] RATT Roads - 0.2.0 released 5-27-18!

Post by wallyweb »

Andrew350 wrote:you could theoretically give vehicles a speed boost for driving on certain roadtypes by using the current_roadtype variable within a vehicle grf.
Elon Musk must be a fan of the game. Some of his Teslas have a speed boost button. 8)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Re: [NRT] RattRoads - 0.3.0 released 7-21-18!

Post by Andrew350 »

Hi everyone, just a small update.
Futown Transport, Jan 22nd, 1930.png
Futown Transport, Jan 22nd, 1930.png (174.19 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
Version 0.3 of RattRoads has been released and now includes the familiar Sett Paved roads. These sprites have only been slightly modified from ARRS, but unlike ARRS these roads are available to be built anywhere, not just inside towns (although I think that's where they look best!). Other small changes include fixing a tiny graphical error and changing the speed limit of basic asphault.

As usual, you can find the updated NewGRF in the first post of this topic. :)

=============

Sett Pavement is likely the last road type to be included, at least for now. I said previously I would include an electrified road for trolleybuses or whatnot, but I think I'm going to hold off on that. There's very little demand for something like that right now, and in any case Unspooled works just fine if someone needs it :) I may still include a basic tram type with the option to disable it if needed, but we'll see.

The other feature I spoke of was the freeway objects, which I actually have done some work on. I took them out for this release though since there is still some work to be done, but they are coming together much better than my previous attempt, mostly due to using Dutch Road Furniture as a starting point, and not trying to do any crazy overlapping stuff. Hopefully I will have a release with these objects available soon, including some other polish fixes for the rest of the road types. :)
Great Drarhill Transport, Feb 15th, 2001.png
Great Drarhill Transport, Feb 15th, 2001.png (190.14 KiB) Viewed 5777 times
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

15 road type and 12 tram type. The original graphics and OpenGFX. These roads will be able to do is to encode the newgrf. Enjoy!!!
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

In those terms, would you mind removing that stripe that fills the tile on Freeway roads ?
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

New translation for French !
Attachments
french.lng
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

acs121 wrote:New translation for French !
Thanks, however your translation is for the older 0.2.0 release. If you can update it for the latest version (0.3.0) I'll happily include it :)
acs121 wrote:In those terms, would you mind removing that stripe that fills the tile on Freeway roads ?
You mean on the screenshot I posted above? The final "roads" will have a barrier between the oncoming lanes, if that's what you mean. The picture above is just some work in progress :)
ufiby wrote:15 road type and 12 tram type. The original graphics and OpenGFX. These roads will be able to do is to encode the newgrf. Enjoy!!!
I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Are you having a problem, or is that just a picture to show off something?
ucetcislo1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ucetcislo1 »

Andrew350, im wondering, if you can do this....that would be EPIC :roll:
Attachments
SEE HERE-----------------------------------------------------------------.jpg
(2.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet
===>>> Visit my youtube OpenTTD channel for more:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1Xut ... FzK5x4xuVA
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

ucetcislo1 wrote:Andrew350, im wondering, if you can do this....that would be EPIC :roll:
Again...not exactly sure what the aim is here... ?(

Remember folks, it always helps to be as detailed as possible when trying to explain something; a cryptic message and a vague picture with no context aren't much for me to go on...
vrn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vrn »

Andrew350 wrote:
ucetcislo1 wrote:Andrew350, im wondering, if you can do this....that would be EPIC :roll:
Again...not exactly sure what the aim is here... ?(

Remember folks, it always helps to be as detailed as possible when trying to explain something; a cryptic message and a vague picture with no context aren't much for me to go on...
I guess he wants the dead ends to look like the next lower-tiered road type, for whatever reason.
ucetcislo1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ucetcislo1 »

vrn wrote:
I guess he wants the dead ends to look like the next lower-tiered road type, for whatever reason.
no!

check out this...
Attachments
roads.jpg
(4.03 MiB) Not downloaded yet
===>>> Visit my youtube OpenTTD channel for more:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm1Xut ... FzK5x4xuVA
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what you're trying to say. Are you having a problem, or is that just a picture to show off something?
You have expensive graphics only openGFX. I want to make original TTD graphics

SimYouLater
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SimYouLater »

ucetcislo1 wrote:
vrn wrote:
no!

check out this...
The classic TTD road is beneath the NRT road. He wants the classic road gone, only grass with the NRT road.
Licenses for my work...
You automatically have my permission to re-license graphics or code by me if needed for use in any project that is not GPL v2, on the condition that if you release any derivatives of my graphics they're automatically considered as ALSO GPL v2 (code may remain unreleased, but please do provide it) and carry this provision in GPL v2 uses.
Please ask someone in-the-know to be sure that the graphics are done by me. Especially TTD-Scale, long story.
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Andrew350 wrote:
acs121 wrote:New translation for French !
Thanks, however your translation is for the older 0.2.0 release. If you can update it for the latest version (0.3.0) I'll happily include it :)
acs121 wrote:In those terms, would you mind removing that stripe that fills the tile on Freeway roads ?
You mean on the screenshot I posted above? The final "roads" will have a barrier between the oncoming lanes, if that's what you mean. The picture above is just some work in progress :)
ufiby wrote:15 road type and 12 tram type. The original graphics and OpenGFX. These roads will be able to do is to encode the newgrf. Enjoy!!!
Uh... in your 0.3.0 source file, there is that french.lng file for 0.2.0.
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

SimYouLater wrote:
The classic TTD road is beneath the NRT road. He wants the classic road gone, only grass with the NRT road.
Not quite**. I think the idea is to restructure the set by removing a couple of the existing roadtypes and replace them with some from other sets. Unfortunately I don't think I'm going to do that right now since the result is more-or-less just a mixing of several sets put together. The most I would be willing to do is offer some parameters to turn on or off each roadtype individually, allowing you to pick only the roads you want. You would still need those separate roadtype grfs to get the other roads however. There is also a possibility that if/when NRT gets merged into master, it may have 64 slots available just like railtypes recently got, which would allow as many roadtypes as you could ever possibly need. No guarantee of course, but keep an eye on it ;)

**Try placing RattRoads below your landscape set in the NewGRF list to get rid of those ugly road artifacts underneath. The tiles won't match perfectly since you are using the TTD baseset, but it might look slightly better (ignore this if you've tried already! :) ).
ufiby wrote:You have expensive graphics only openGFX. I want to make original TTD graphics
The road graphics in your screenshot are not from RattRoads, but rather seem to be modified from Unspooled/other sets. Seems you are making an entirely different NewGRF? If so it looks good, perhaps you should consider opening a separate topic to discuss it further? :)
acs121 wrote:Uh... in your 0.3.0 source file, there is that french.lng file for 0.2.0.
Ah, so there is. Well, the only thing that changed for 0.3.0 was the addition of Sett Paved Road, as found in english.lng:

Code: Select all

STR_SETT_PAVEMENT_ROAD_NAME          :Sett Paved Road
STR_SETT_PAVEMENT_ROAD_TOOLBAR       :Sett Paved Road Construction
STR_SETT_PAVEMENT_ROAD_MENU          :Sett Paved Road construction
There are also some strings in there for the upcoming highway objects, however those are not the final descriptions, so I will post them here once they are finalized. Thanks again :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Okay, i will do it in a few moments.
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

The road graphics in your screenshot are not from RattRoads, but rather seem to be modified from Unspooled/other sets. Seems you are making an entirely different NewGRF? If so it looks good, perhaps you should consider opening a separate topic to discuss it further? :)
Do you want to create a new set of original graphics or take from my picture? :oops:
Fun to play OPENTTD, there are drawbacks with graphics. I want to separate 2 graphics OPENGFX and original TTD.
15 road type and 12 tram type. The original graphics and OpenGFX. These roads will be able to do is to encode the newgrf. Enjoy!!!
I drew this picture. Unfortunately I do not know and do not do the program :cry:
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

ufiby wrote:
Do you want to create a new set of original graphics or take from my picture? :oops:
Fun to play OPENTTD, there are drawbacks with graphics. I want to separate 2 graphics OPENGFX and original TTD.
[snip]
I drew this picture. Unfortunately I do not know and do not do the program :cry:
Unfortunately I am already very busy with the projects I have going so I can't really take on another one, but I can try to help when possible :) One thing I'd like to ask: do you have any 'source' files for these graphics or did you simply paint these onto that image? Separate sprites would be very helpful if someone wanted to make it into a new road/tramtrack set :)
acs121
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by acs121 »

Well, there were and are lots of streetcar systems in North America, so you should think about implenting tramtypes in, as well as electrified roads. If i had a coder, i'd be ready to draw like hell to make a set of all american streetcars and LRVs.
ufiby
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by ufiby »

Unfortunately I am already very busy with the projects I have going so I can't really take on another one, but I can try to help when possible :) One thing I'd like to ask: do you have any 'source' files for these graphics or did you simply paint these onto that image? Separate sprites would be very helpful if someone wanted to make it into a new road/tramtrack set :)
sprites I mean that each individual drawings, here is this ?
Image 64x31 pixel
What sprites do you suggest ? :)
Andrew350
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Andrew350 »

ufiby wrote:What sprites do you suggest ? :)
More like the second example. A typical spriteset looks something like this:
modern_asphalt.png
(12.01 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Note that the blue color is transparent in the game. Arranging your sprites in a format similar to this will greatly aid someone in coding them. Additionally using and having a palette applied to the files is a big help too. :)
acs121 wrote:Well, there were and are lots of streetcar systems in North America, so you should think about implenting tramtypes in, as well as electrified roads. If i had a coder, i'd be ready to draw like hell to make a set of all american streetcars and LRVs.
Meh, I never really intended to make RattRoads into a set that has everything right out of the gate, just to provide a few of the main roads, with maybe a basic tram type. It can always be expanded later and probably will, but for now I'll leave that other stuff to another set.

And don't wait to start drawing something until a coder comes along, you will likely be waiting a long time ;) Plus it's better to have something already done to help gain interest.

Return to “Graphics Development”