Town growth questions

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RA3236
Engineer
Engineer

Town growth questions

Post by RA3236 »

Hi,
I have a city (Wranwell) that is growing and taking over two smaller towns. Exactly what happens when Wranwell completely envelopes the two towns?
(I'm also interested in the mechanics of this too :) )
Attachments
Flafingfield Transport, 10th May 1974.png
Town picture
(1.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet
kamnet

Re: Town growth questions

Post by kamnet »

Each town has a defined boundary, initially a 15-tile radius from the town's seed tile. Towns can only expand over tiles which are not occupied by another authority.

In your photo, the game has inadvertently seeded multiple towns within each other's radius. Their boundaries are effectively locked in. Wranwell is clearly growing faster than your other two towns, and as it does it will continue to take unoccupied tiles until it hits the boundaries of the other two towns, and they will also grow until they hit the boundary for Wranwell. They will then start expanding into other unoccupied tiles.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

kamnet wrote:Each town has a defined boundary, initially a 15-tile radius from the town's seed tile. Towns can only expand over tiles which are not occupied by another authority.
In my "Municipal effects" topic at
http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=75057
I was told repeatedly that there are no municipal boundaries/city limits.
RA3236
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RA3236 »

Ahh okay, I was thinking the two smaller towns would become part of Wranwell. I have no clue how Wranwell is growing so fast with only a small mail line and possibly the airport. Thanks anyways.
Baldy's Boss
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Baldy's Boss »

Perhaps enabling municipal mergers belongs in the Suggestions forum.
Alberth
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Alberth »

RA3236 wrote:I have no clue how Wranwell is growing so fast with only a small mail line and possibly the airport. Thanks anyways.
Only the line at the south-east, the name says what town it is attached to, unless you rename them.
It's the difference between getting any service (non-zero growth) and getting no service (no growth).

As for mechanics behind it, read "Game mechanics" at the wiki, if you want to spoil the fun of finding out yourself.
Being a retired OpenTTD developer does not mean I know what I am doing.
RA3236
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RA3236 »

Alberth wrote:
RA3236 wrote:I have no clue how Wranwell is growing so fast with only a small mail line and possibly the airport. Thanks anyways.
Only the line at the south-east, the name says what town it is attached to, unless you rename them.
It's the difference between getting any service (non-zero growth) and getting no service (no growth).

As for mechanics behind it, read "Game mechanics" at the wiki, if you want to spoil the fun of finding out yourself.
That's interesting, cities grow twice as fast as normal towns. Wranwell started at around 8000 people (I changed the size multiplier), and now in 2014 with only that small line it is of similar size of the screenshot at 77000 people. It is an interesting phenomenon, as Wranwell appears to be growing upwards rather than horizontal to compensate for only the one gap between the ocean and the international airport that I chucked next to the town.
I might do some investigating, as apparently to accelerate growth you need four stations that supply at least one unit per two months (correct me on that) and only one station was there, the airport would be picking the passengers up but dumping them in that town the (now) monorail station is attached to.
_dp_
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by _dp_ »

Amount of correct information in this topic is critically low :D Only thing that's true is that towns don't go on roads owned by other town. It's also the only mechanics related to interaction between towns. Other than that they grow exactly the same as it was, say, lake in place of other town.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

_dp_ wrote:Amount of correct information in this topic is critically low :D
that is, unfortunately, how a lot of topics go. (not only in this forum)

Return to “General OpenTTD”