[OTTD] Big in Japan (random JapanSet screenshots)

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

[OTTD] Big in Japan (random JapanSet screenshots)

Post by Taschi »

今日は!

So I am playing on a small-ish map with lots of water and lots of cities right now, and thought I might as well show off some screenshots. The game is still kind of manageable but there are already some points where I have trouble keeping up with the demand. Why can't people just stay at home, for Christ's sake?

ImageOpenTTD (1) by taschenschieber, auf Flickr
So for my first line on a somewhat isolated little island I chose to use standard gauge just because in my previous game I never had a good chance for that. Turns out, all the early standard gauge vehicles in the Japan set are... not all that great. Very short replacement cycles, low capacity, can't be coupled together... meh. Not my brightest decision, looking at it in hindsight. But it's not like that line calls for lots of capacity anyway, so I hope I will manage until decent vehicles become available. (I hesitate to switch to Kapp gauge / Cape gauge, because I prefer to stick with my bad decisions to get a more naturalistic network.)

ImageOpenTTD (2) by taschenschieber, auf Flickr
This is my network so far on the "mainland", where I use cape gauge and am still running on Steam only. Kogi West was the initial station but due to high demand and difficult terrain I had to shift some of the trains to Kogi Station, barely visible at the top right. You can still see the old connection between Kawakami and Furusaki which was used before the new line from Kawakami to Kogi Station was built. Also, a ring line around Kogi (which is pretty much the biggest city on the map already) is in planning - as of 1930, it is halfway finished, and I will show more pictures once it's completed and running.

Fun is being had!
oftcrash
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: [OTTD] Big in Japan (random JapanSet screenshots)

Post by oftcrash »

Nice screens, though I have to curse you slightly for getting that song stuck in my head ;)
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

I refuse to apologize for good taste in music.

ImageJNR3 by taschenschieber, auf Flickr

So this is the ring line in all its glory... and as you can see, I completely overestimated the demand. A single-track one-directional ring would probably have more than sufficed. Anyway, the game went completely unwinnable a bit later, with my company's net worth at about 10m yen, partially thanks to useless little branch lines like this one:

ImageJNR4 by taschenschieber, auf Flickr

Welp... lesson learned, and new game started. This time, I'm focusing on fewer lines until they, and my finances, are running stable. The beach resort town of Furuoka is my most popular destination at the moment:

ImageJRS1 by taschenschieber, auf Flickr
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

Did I say "beach resort town"? Whoops, it suddenly became a bustling metropolis (don't mind the 12k population counter, the city has pretty much fusioned with two or three neighbouring towns and is actually a lot larger), and also the little two-platform station has turned into a major hub. Also, electricity is starting to become relevant, but most of my trains are still steam-based. I could probably afford to dump all steam trains immediately, but prefer to wait until it's actually necessary and there's a broader choice of vehicles. ...yeah, somehow money is growing out of my butt.

ImageJRS4 by taschenschieber, auf Flickr
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

...and a few decades later, we've got this:

JRS5 by taschenschieber, auf Flickr

It's a good thing the Japan set has more color variants than your average box of Skittles, because otherwise I would have no clue what I am doing at this point. Oh wait, I *have* no clue what I am doing.

Over at Furuoka, my biggest station in this game has evolved. Still, it is running at capacity, and it has also become the starting point of my first Shinkansen line...
JRS6 by taschenschieber, auf Flickr

...which connects it to Kinohara, where the old station just didn't have room for another line, so a new station had to be built.

JRS7 by taschenschieber, auf Flickr

Return to “Screenshots”