Please find following my scenario builder GS, I have used for my UK scenario. Feel free to modify it for your own purposes. I'd recommend building the lists in your favourite spreadsheet program (attached is my very messy excel file I used to build my lists), also note your heightmap will have to be build using a Cartesian Northing, Easting coordinate system or you will have to make a far more complex convertor to OTTD grids.
My scenario used data and a heightmap in OSGB which are effectively X and Y coordinates which only need to be scaled and offset to become grid coordinates. Easiest way to do this is sample two costal points in both the scenario editor and your mapping software. I used free open source QGIS (http://qgis.org/en/site/
) for my mapping software and OS open data (https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busine ... ducts.html
the same data which was used to build the UK minecraft map)
The GS is currently able to:
- Place towns with set location, size and city status, accounting for barriers, hills, and coast
- industry with one of three methods: at Determined located (with nearest valid search), within determined area (rectangles), or random (prospecting)
- rectangles of trees
I used the following process:
1. Load heightmap in scenario editor
2. add temporary town away from anything which will be added so that the scenario will be "playable"
3. set the GS in the AI settings
4. save it and play the scenario
5. watch while the GS places towns, industry, signs and trees (note trees will take a while on big maps, ~10mins to place 10,000 rectangles for my UK map)
6. save the game, go to your saves folder, move the *.sav file to scenarios and rename it to *.scn
7. load it back into the editor, delete the temporary town, and make other manual adjustments
8. save it and done!
Please post any suggestions, improvements you've made, question, comments, or complaints about my poorly styled code.
Real life transport planner
My projects:Link to my UK Scenario
|Scenario Builder GS
Do check out my 3D unity transport game: transporter