JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

I also make changes to the game, but I would never think to remove a set of roads. Also, it doesn't look like a single change was made.
And no, just returning the road set won't fix it, apparently there was also an attempt to upgrade the vehicle set as the auto exchange reports non-existent cars and so on. I'm surprised the game hasn't crashed yet.
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

I thought the auto replace error is because I had used the cheat menu to put the date back at some point and doesn't that remove available vehicles?

Haven't changed any road sets.

I'm thinking of just starting again, edit the scenario slightly, considering I've learnt a lot about the new features since.
If the newgrfs are adjusted in the scenario edit before starting a new game am I less likely to have issues? It's mainly stations and vehicles I'd want to change.
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Argus wrote: 21 Feb 2024 21:45 I also make changes to the game, but I would never think to remove a set of roads. Also, it doesn't look like a single change was made.
And no, just returning the road set won't fix it, apparently there was also an attempt to upgrade the vehicle set as the auto exchange reports non-existent cars and so on. I'm surprised the game hasn't crashed yet.
Well, I have just updated two very long running games to U&RaTT v1.1 and also found that vehicles were stuck on tiles due to incompatible road types (bascially looked like going in circles on a single tile). For example, I disabled the Polroad-internal roads in that process since they did not match very well with U&R and there also seemd incompatibilities between U&R versions.

Still, when I converted the adjacent road tile to something compatible, all vehicles were able to "escape" the incompatible tile, which could then be converted. Too quite some time but I managed to completely and successfully update my road networks.

Also, using the "magic bulldozer" I found that I can change road types that cities in normal mode don't want to allow me, although I find that a bit strange but nobody responded to my question so far.

However, as far as I remember, the "vehicles stuck" never happened on station tiles - either because I was very lucky (but map is huge at 1024x2048, so chance of getting stuck on station low) or because the station tiles were never of an incompatible type.

Still, this was OTTD 13.4 so there might also be problems inherent to the JGR patchpack.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

I've posted a save with the road stops unblocked in the other thread.
I've applied a fix to prevent deleting road vehicles in bay stops from leaving them marked occupied, which will be in the next release.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

JGR wrote: 21 Feb 2024 23:08 I've posted a save with the road stops unblocked in the other thread.
I've applied a fix to prevent deleting road vehicles in bay stops from leaving them marked occupied, which will be in the next release.
Absolute Hero!
I'm glad it wasn't a newgrf or road issue... Pretty sure it was CityAI going bankrupt while occupying stations.
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Davie_UCF wrote: 21 Feb 2024 23:05 I thought the auto replace error is because I had used the cheat menu to put the date back at some point and doesn't that remove available vehicles?

I'm thinking of just starting again, edit the scenario slightly, considering I've learnt a lot about the new features since.
If the newgrfs are adjusted in the scenario edit before starting a new game am I less likely to have issues? It's mainly stations and vehicles I'd want to change.
So there was no road set from the start? Weird, I can't play without roads anymore.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

Davie_UCF wrote: 21 Feb 2024 23:05 I thought the auto replace error is because I had used the cheat menu to put the date back at some point and doesn't that remove available vehicles?
As far as I know, "setting back the time" does not affect vehicle availability (or anything else), at least if you have "vehicles never expire" switched on, as I do.

I use this function regularly to stay in one "epoch" (like 1960-1965) for years (in "real life") now and never had any problems.
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

Argus wrote: 22 Feb 2024 10:24

So there was no road set from the start? Weird, I can't play without roads anymore.
What do you mean? I didn't change the road set from the start of the scenario
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

What I mean is that there is only the basic road in the game, no others.
eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee »

How do you choose a town name set? I see it has been changed to GRF-based which is a fine idea, but it's not working. Nothing happens when I add town name GRFs.

Edit: Also happens with unpatched game version 13.0. I'm sorry for posting it here. My brain is mush after configuring the settings for a new game. It always is, but the core devs refuse to let the settings just be inherited from the last game you played. Instead, it has to be the last game you started which, for me, is often months or years ago and I often had to tweak a lot after starting the game.
Attachments
town names not working.png
(212 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Extreme network builder. screenshot thread
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

eekee wrote: 25 Feb 2024 14:26 How do you choose a town name set? I see it has been changed to GRF-based which is a fine idea, but it's not working. Nothing happens when I add town name GRFs.
Isn't it that the town name NewGRFs only work for the creation of NEW towns but will not change the names of towns already existing at the time when you load that add-on?!?
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

eekee wrote: 25 Feb 2024 14:26the core devs refuse to let the settings just be inherited from the last game you played
[citation needed]
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

Generated town names are "special", in the sense that the game does not store the text of the town name, but only the "number" of the town name. What the number means depends on the town name set used to generate the names. But a town only stores the town name number, not which set was used to generate that name with.
This means that you can not have town names from more than one town name set in a single game world. And because all towns must have a name, and you can't have a game with zero towns, then it's not possible to change the town name set after the game has been started.

Exception: If a player (or scenario creator) renames a town, then the town name text will be stored. However, the town name number is still stored, so it can be reset to the original generated name.
ebla71
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ebla71 »

jfs wrote: 26 Feb 2024 23:20 This means that you can not have town names from more than one town name set in a single game world. And because all towns must have a name, and you can't have a game with zero towns, then it's not possible to change the town name set after the game has been started.
Thank you very much for the detailed technical explanation - so it is even more narrow than I initially thought and should read "town name NewGRFs only work for the creation of towns at the start of a new game"?!?

Whazt about the scenario editor - assuming I haven't created any towns yet? Can I still change "town name NewGRF" in the editor? What happens if I create a couple of towns, then delete them all, switch to other "town name NewGRF" and create more?!? I assume once I have a single town in the editor, "town name NewGRF" will also not have any effect here?!?
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

As far as I remember, there isn't any user interface for changing town names language/style except in the "generate world" window, and that obviously means you'll be clearing and regenerating the entire world.
What you can possibly do is save the terrain as a heightmap, and then generate a new world with the correct town names style using that heightmap. It's a bit roundabout, but it should work. You'll still have to put rivers and trees back in too.

Remember that adding town names from a NewGRF is two-step: First you add the NewGRF to the list of active GRFs, and then you also have to select the town names style it adds when you generate the world.
eekee
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eekee »

jfs wrote: 26 Feb 2024 23:20 This means that you can not have town names from more than one town name set in a single game world. And because all towns must have a name, and you can't have a game with zero towns, then it's not possible to change the town name set after the game has been started.
Thanks. The screenshot is from my 2nd attempt at generating a new game. The first attempt only had 1 town name GRF, the Arabian one. Generating a new game with only Brazilian Names 2.0, a GRF with 5296 town names, and... nope, I don't think Pintbridge or Rundinghead sound very Brazilian at all! ;)

Generating another new game with no GRFs except Brazilian Names 2.0... Nope! I see Little Rintbridge, Kedworth Falls, and many other names absolutely typical of the classic English name generator. I'm testing with Brazilian Names 2.0 because it's been updated in the last year, but the same applies to others for which I haven't checked the update date; Ahyangyi's Finnish Town Names, Bulgarian Town and Village Names v1.1, Welsh Town Names, and Romanian Town Names.

It's just occurred to me that some of these GRFs might be climate-locked, but surely Brazilian Names would work in the tropical games I've been generating. Checking Romanian in temperate... nope; still the same old English names.

peter1138 wrote: 26 Feb 2024 10:22
eekee wrote: 25 Feb 2024 14:26the core devs refuse to let the settings just be inherited from the last game you played
[citation needed]
It was a long time ago. I've hardly played for a long time. Also, as indicated, I was VERY frustrated when I wrote that.
Extreme network builder. screenshot thread
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

eekee wrote: 27 Feb 2024 15:57 ... It's just occurred to me that some of these GRFs might be climate-locked, but surely Brazilian Names would work in the tropical games I've been generating. Checking Romanian in temperate... nope; still the same old English names.
Just to clarify a few things ...

Do you actually select the Town Name GRF, you want to use, in World Generation when starting a new game ?

How to Enable Town Name GRFs.png
How to Enable Town Name GRFs.png (38.14 KiB) Viewed 1363 times

Steps to take :

a) add the Town Name GRF to the 'Active NewGRF files' in 'NewGRF Settings'.
b) start a new game.
c) select the Town Name GRF under 'Town Names' in 'World Generation'
d) click 'Generate' a new game.

The same applies, if you want to use a Town Name GRF in the Scenario Editor :

e) do the same as above [a..d].
f) exit the game (no need to save anything)
g) start the Scenario Editor.
h) the Town Name GRF selected above is now enabled ...
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Interesting behaviour change i've just noticed, that is slightly inconvenient, having just updated from version 56.1 straight to 58.0.
When you ctrl-click on a signal to change it to a different type, it will now cycle through all of them. Previously i could place a block signal, and then immediately change it to a path one, now i have to cycle through them all to get there.
In the settings, i can only see an option to cycle through all, or the current signal group, rather than skip straight to path. I always place track signals as block, and then upgrade the ones on a junction or station entrance/exit to path. Is there a way of reverting to the old behaviour i am missing, and if not, is it possible to go back to this behavior in the patch pack?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 29 Feb 2024 16:30 Interesting behaviour change i've just noticed, that is slightly inconvenient, having just updated from version 56.1 straight to 58.0.
When you ctrl-click on a signal to change it to a different type, it will now cycle through all of them. Previously i could place a block signal, and then immediately change it to a path one, now i have to cycle through them all to get there.
In the settings, i can only see an option to cycle through all, or the current signal group, rather than skip straight to path. I always place track signals as block, and then upgrade the ones on a junction or station entrance/exit to path. Is there a way of reverting to the old behaviour i am missing, and if not, is it possible to go back to this behavior in the patch pack?
This setting has changed upstream, it's been changed a few times.
I never use the ctrl-click signal type change function myself and don't have a strong opinion on it. I can look into adding another/the old mode though.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JGR wrote: 29 Feb 2024 23:13 This setting has changed upstream, it's been changed a few times.
Quite, I'm not sure why they keep playing with it, to be honest!
JGR wrote: 29 Feb 2024 23:13 I can look into adding another/the old mode though.
I would greatly appreciate that if you could :mrgreen:
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”