JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by Argus »

If I understood correctly, the interface is still being fine-tuned? I will wait and always hide the labels. However, the new option to zoom out the map 128x is great :) In some games, I often searched for an hour before I found the last unoccupied island drowned in the ocean :D
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Argus wrote: 15 Dec 2022 15:58 If I understood correctly, the interface is still being fine-tuned? I will wait and always hide the labels. However, the new option to zoom out the map 128x is great :) In some games, I often searched for an hour before I found the last unoccupied island drowned in the ocean :D
I'm not aware of any further changes coming from upstream. I'd suggest raising a bug upstream if the problem is also in vanilla. I don't know what size you are expecting them to be or how large they were before with your custom config.
That said, you appear to have very large sprites in your top menu, suggesting that the scale is turned up too high. If you are using a GRF such as BigGUI, you should remove that. If you go into Game Options, you can move the interface slider back down to a smaller scale.

128x zoom isn't new, it's been in my branch for over 7 years.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

I made a mistake with the zoom, it was possible but disabled by default, and I had no idea it was possible to zoom out like this :)
As for labels, I don't think they scale with the rest of the interface before. Unfortunately, the scaling is still not completely detailed, something between 2x and the comma before would suit me. And the text size isn't quite optimal either, but I'm tired of editing the configuration file all the time. :cry:
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

As I learned, it is really a bug with those station names, but there is not much willingness to solve it, see the link

viewtopic.php?t=90460
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Another bug, the track type menu slider is missing, if it goes beyond the screen, all the types don't appear and I can't get to them. Only if I shrink the interface, which makes everything unreadable.
I'll try to attach the given game, if it's not more like a newgrf error.
Attachments
SMegatrackxx01.sav
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 45 times
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Argus wrote: 16 Dec 2022 13:44 Another bug, the track type menu slider is missing, if it goes beyond the screen, all the types don't appear and I can't get to them. Only if I shrink the interface, which makes everything unreadable.
Are you talking about the drop down menu here?
In general I'd suggest raising an issue here: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues, with screenshots of the problem.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Epiphanius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Epiphanius »

Hi All. I just installed JGR's patch and loaded my saved game, but my ships are completely confused in their paths now. I have made sure YAPF is selected in the settings (and tried NPF too with the same results- just much slower). I've read the wikis and tried things like increasing the YAPF max nodes, but no success. When I load the saved game with vanilla OpenTTD, the ships work fine. Can anyone help?

P.S. Thanks to JGR and the community for putting so much time and effort into the game. I've been playing it for 20+ years now and it's still more fun than most games out there.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Epiphanius wrote: 16 Dec 2022 15:47 Hi All. I just installed JGR's patch and loaded my saved game, but my ships are completely confused in their paths now. I have made sure YAPF is selected in the settings (and tried NPF too with the same results- just much slower). I've read the wikis and tried things like increasing the YAPF max nodes, but no success. When I load the saved game with vanilla OpenTTD, the ships work fine. Can anyone help?

P.S. Thanks to JGR and the community for putting so much time and effort into the game. I've been playing it for 20+ years now and it's still more fun than most games out there.
If you can post a save, I'll take a look.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

JGR wrote: 16 Dec 2022 15:41
Argus wrote: 16 Dec 2022 13:44 Another bug, the track type menu slider is missing, if it goes beyond the screen, all the types don't appear and I can't get to them. Only if I shrink the interface, which makes everything unreadable.
In general I'd suggest raising an issue here: https://github.com/OpenTTD/OpenTTD/issues, with screenshots of the problem.
I don't know enough english to describe the problem accurately enough and google will mess it up, yes it's a drop down menu.
Epiphanius
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Epiphanius »

JGR wrote: 16 Dec 2022 16:00
Epiphanius wrote: 16 Dec 2022 15:47 Hi All. I just installed JGR's patch and loaded my saved game, but my ships are completely confused in their paths now. I have made sure YAPF is selected in the settings (and tried NPF too with the same results- just much slower). I've read the wikis and tried things like increasing the YAPF max nodes, but no success. When I load the saved game with vanilla OpenTTD, the ships work fine. Can anyone help?

Wow! Thank you so much for taking a look. Attached is the saved game. I'm in the year 3090 with 5,000 ships. I was looking for a way to expand the max number and that's how I came across your cool patch. If you look at Latburg, for example, on the westernmost side of the map, you'll see the ships starting in neat linear paths but unpause the game and you'll see them scatter. But if I load this same save in the vanilla OpenTTD version, the ships continue to travel in straight paths and the operating profit stays level. I'm also attaching a pic of the sharp decline in my operating profit graph after letting the patched version run for a few months so you can see the contrast from before and after. Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide that will be helpful.

Vic2, Mar 1st, 3090.sav
(931.33 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
OpenTTD pic.png
(294.57 KiB) Not downloaded yet
edit: corrected map location of Latburg
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Argus wrote: 16 Dec 2022 16:06
JGR wrote: 16 Dec 2022 15:41
I don't know enough english to describe the problem accurately enough and google will mess it up, yes it's a drop down menu.
The upstream developers don't read this forum. An issue raised upstream, or on the Discord, even with incorrect English, but with before/after screenshots showing what is wrong, is more likely to result in this being addressed.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Argus wrote: 16 Dec 2022 13:44 Another bug, the track type menu slider is missing, if it goes beyond the screen, all the types don't appear and I can't get to them. Only if I shrink the interface, which makes everything unreadable. ...
In OpenTTD (but not in jgr-pp); move the mouse cursor down the middle of the menu (not over the slider bar), once you reach the bottom of the menu, the menu will move upwards. It is a bit of a nuisance, but that is a way to reach those bottom entries.

@JGR

But there is a problem with jgr-pp (v50.0). There is no slider bar and above method does not work. It looks to me, that the menu constructor assumes the screen is higher than what is actually visible. Fullscreen vs Windowed makes no difference.
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

Unfortunately I didn't think to try it in Vanilla right away and I forgot what trackset it was... Thanks, so it's a patchpack fault after all.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

To make it really clear, vanilla have changed all the scaling between the v12 previous release (e.g. v12.2) and the current v13 releases (e.g v13.0-beta2).
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
peter1138
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by peter1138 »

Argus wrote: 16 Dec 2022 11:29 As I learned, it is really a bug with those station names, but there is not much willingness to solve it, see the link

viewtopic.php?t=90460
There is no bug that I know of with station name signs. That user had set a very strange font which has a lot of space below it.
He's like, some kind of OpenTTD developer.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Epiphanius wrote: 16 Dec 2022 18:20
JGR wrote: 16 Dec 2022 16:00

Wow! Thank you so much for taking a look. Attached is the saved game. I'm in the year 3090 with 5,000 ships. I was looking for a way to expand the max number and that's how I came across your cool patch. If you look at Latburg, for example, on the westernmost side of the map, you'll see the ships starting in neat linear paths but unpause the game and you'll see them scatter. But if I load this same save in the vanilla OpenTTD version, the ships continue to travel in straight paths and the operating profit stays level. I'm also attaching a pic of the sharp decline in my operating profit graph after letting the patched version run for a few months so you can see the contrast from before and after. Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide that will be helpful.

Vic2, Mar 1st, 3090.sav
OpenTTD pic.png

edit: corrected map location of Latburg
You should turn "Ships avoid collisions" off in the settings.

You have a excessively large numbers of ships trying to move about in rather narrow channels.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Argus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Argus »

peter1138 wrote: 20 Dec 2022 16:38
Argus wrote: 16 Dec 2022 11:29 As I learned, it is really a bug with those station names, but there is not much willingness to solve it, see the link

viewtopic.php?t=90460
There is no bug that I know of with station name signs. That user had set a very strange font which has a lot of space below it.
So what font is best to set? I personally inserted a completely common truetype font.
If it could be set directly in the game and there was no need to experiment with the configuration file, you would immediately see how it would look and could easily change it, it's a pointless trial and error...
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

OzTrans wrote: 18 Dec 2022 22:38 In OpenTTD (but not in jgr-pp); move the mouse cursor down the middle of the menu (not over the slider bar), once you reach the bottom of the menu, the menu will move upwards. It is a bit of a nuisance, but that is a way to reach those bottom entries.
Let me rephrase this :

In OpenTTD (v12.2) and JGR-PP (v49.2) - move the mouse cursor down the middle of the menu (not over the slider bar), once you reach the bottom of the menu, the menu will move upwards. It is a bit of a nuisance, but that is a way to reach those bottom entries.

However, due to poor implementation of a good feature the above method does no longer work in OpenTTD (v13.0 beta); unfortunately this issue was introduced into JGR-PP (v50.0) too. Normally I don't care about OpenTTD, but when bad features are introduced into JGR-PP my projects are affected.

New OpenTTD features should never be imported into JGR-PP until they have proven themselves to be working properly.

Just one example (see image) : Fractional Zoom-Levels, last second addition to v13.0, are totally useless.

1.75 x Zoom Icons, Cursors and Fonts are display in 1 x Zoom, just use more space. Of course, on modern displays with a smaller pixel size, 1 x zoom is not viable. That is why I was looking forward to fractional zoom levels, but what a disappointment. I will now revert OpenTTD to v12.2 and JGR-PP to v49.2 and that for the next 12 months.
Attachments
Construction in 1.75 x Zoom.png
(176.48 KiB) Not downloaded yet
LaChupacabra
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LaChupacabra »

I reported this on github today as a bug (#10268), but as it turns out, it has already been fixed (#10264). :)
I am sorry for may English. I know is bed.
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

OzTrans wrote: 20 Dec 2022 22:07 New OpenTTD features should never be imported into JGR-PP until they have proven themselves to be working properly.
i think you got your game versions confused. OpenTTD is the version with the more mainstream uncontroversial features, whereas JGR-PP is the version with the experimental unproven features.

cherrypicking OpenTTD features for "backporting" into JGR-PP is an unmaintainable mess and doomed from the start.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”