JGR's Patch Pack

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

sevenfm
Engineer
Engineer

Re: JGR's Patch Pack

Post by sevenfm »

Taschi wrote: 21 Jan 2022 03:53 I live in a real city and buses sure do not just turn around on road crossings, mostly for the reason that it is not quick, not safe, and not even actually possible on most crossings. They either take a turn around a block, or have a dedicated loop.
Not every city in the world is like your city, and there are small vehicles like mail or passenger vans which can turn around wherever they need with no problem.
Taschi
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Taschi »

sevenfm wrote: 21 Jan 2022 04:02 Not every city in the world is like your city, and there are small vehicles like mail or passenger vans which can turn around wherever they need with no problem.
OpenTTD does not distinguish between mail vans and buses for purposes of pathfinding, though, which means it has to find an approach that works for both.

I struggle to imagine a city which is so densely built it has no space for a bus turning loop, but at the same time it does have enough space for every crossing to be large enough to turn around a 12-meter bus on it.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Sometimes if you build a bridge over a platform, you are presented with the error message "Bridge is too long", even if its only a few squares long, instead of a more accurate error message, i don't actually know what a more accurate one is, granted, as I'm sure there is already one if a platform height is too big for a bridge or similar? I'm not sure what triggers it precisely, however I've managed to trigger it using the default station, on a non 'roofed' tile, so just a flat platform. Removing the platforms and then building the bridge works, and you can then rebuild the station tiles below the bridge successfully.

I'm not sure if this is just an error throwing the (ironically) error message and it gives you the wrong one, or if it sometimes thinks a bridge is going to collide when it does not, which triggers a generic, but ultimately wrongly worded error.
I use the settings "Allow all NewGRF objects under bridges" and "Allow NewGRF rail stations/waypoints under bridges", both set to ON.
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

2TallTyler wrote: 19 Jan 2022 15:27 The signal menu only defaults to a path signal when starting OpenTTD. Otherwise, it remembers the last signal you selected.

My proposed solution is for the game to remember the last signal even after you close OpenTTD, by writing it into the config file. But someone needs to write the code and submit a PR to make this happen.

EDIT: Here's a Pull Request that does just that.
Exactly. Wow, I didn't realise my comment would cause so much discussion!

A simple config line would allow those of us who want a different default signal to make it so...I hope this makes it.
Thanks for getting it this far.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 24 Jan 2022 20:36 Sometimes if you build a bridge over a platform, you are presented with the error message "Bridge is too long", even if its only a few squares long, instead of a more accurate error message, i don't actually know what a more accurate one is, granted, as I'm sure there is already one if a platform height is too big for a bridge or similar? I'm not sure what triggers it precisely, however I've managed to trigger it using the default station, on a non 'roofed' tile, so just a flat platform. Removing the platforms and then building the bridge works, and you can then rebuild the station tiles below the bridge successfully.

I'm not sure if this is just an error throwing the (ironically) error message and it gives you the wrong one, or if it sometimes thinks a bridge is going to collide when it does not, which triggers a generic, but ultimately wrongly worded error.
I use the settings "Allow all NewGRF objects under bridges" and "Allow NewGRF rail stations/waypoints under bridges", both set to ON.
Which bridge set is this, and have you got a savegame or screenshot of the combination of bridge and station which doesn't work as expected?
I haven't been able to find a case which matches what you described so far.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JGR wrote: 25 Jan 2022 23:37
Redirect Left wrote: 24 Jan 2022 20:36 Sometimes if you build a bridge over a platform, you are presented with the error message "Bridge is too long", even if its only a few squares long, instead of a more accurate error message, i don't actually know what a more accurate one is, granted, as I'm sure there is already one if a platform height is too big for a bridge or similar? I'm not sure what triggers it precisely, however I've managed to trigger it using the default station, on a non 'roofed' tile, so just a flat platform. Removing the platforms and then building the bridge works, and you can then rebuild the station tiles below the bridge successfully.

Which bridge set is this, and have you got a savegame or screenshot of the combination of bridge and station which doesn't work as expected?
Ah, this may be my bad. I forgot I was using a GRF that includes it's own bridges. I usually don't play with it, I'm using Total Town Replacement Set 3.14.
After more playing about, the error message does change, but it depends how long the bridge intends to be. 4 tiles (too low), 6 tiles (too long), and the same 4 & 6 tiles, without a station in the way, just to verify the GRF lets you actually build that length.

Interestingly, i CAN reproduce this on default no-GRF JGRPP, see this video for how i do it, about a minute long, covers the settings used to do it too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7td3ivKdM - am i just missing something obvious with these error messages?
Need some good tested AI? - Unofficial AI Tester, list of good stuff & thread is here.
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

Redirect Left wrote: 26 Jan 2022 01:58
JGR wrote: 25 Jan 2022 23:37

Ah, this may be my bad. I forgot I was using a GRF that includes it's own bridges. I usually don't play with it, I'm using Total Town Replacement Set 3.14.
After more playing about, the error message does change, but it depends how long the bridge intends to be. 4 tiles (too low), 6 tiles (too long), and the same 4 & 6 tiles, without a station in the way, just to verify the GRF lets you actually build that length.

Interestingly, i CAN reproduce this on default no-GRF JGRPP, see this video for how i do it, about a minute long, covers the settings used to do it too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S7td3ivKdM - am i just missing something obvious with these error messages?
The video is private, so I couldn't see it, but the issue is fixed now.
In these circumstances all of the bridge types were being tried, and none of them were usable, but the error message being returned was from one of the bridge types which was too short.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

JGR wrote: 26 Jan 2022 02:57 The video is private, so I couldn't see it, but the issue is fixed now.
This has been corrected if you want to take a closer look, but your explanation seems to match the problem i was having in terms of fixing it.
hoybus
Engineer
Engineer

Crash report

Post by hoybus »

crashinfo.7z
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Hi JGR!
My game crashed, telling me to send the info to you.
The report, emergency save, screenshot and the .dmp file are all in the attached .7z file.
P.S. Thank you for the amazing patchpack.
crashinfo.7z
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Suggestion, would it be possible to add an option to a towns, where it stops the town from growing? Probably stop it from making roads, without just turning off the option for towns to build roads? I sometimes get a town that grows far faster, or larger, than i'd wish compared to other ones, so it'd be quite nice to be able to control growth on a per town basis, even if you have to bribe the town and pay essentially a fee (maybe 5-10% of the max theoretical passenger income per year from that town?)
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

the problem with that is, if you stop a town from growing (as in, not build any new houses), then it will slowly die out, because houses close down after a while, independent from town growth.

if you want fine control over town growth, you can make a GameScript.
Redirect Left
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Redirect Left »

Eddi wrote: 29 Jan 2022 16:54 the problem with that is, if you stop a town from growing (as in, not build any new houses), then it will slowly die out, because houses close down after a while, independent from town growth.
Yes, this is why i suggested using the "don't build new roads", and then it can continue doing that, as they do if you use the global setting to disable building roads.
hyckor
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by hyckor »

Hello,
Is it possible to add newgrf files into the savegame? It was possible in Chill's patch pack, but I changed this version to more recent version (Chill's is not supported anymore). The savegame from the previous version works fine, but there is no more chance to include any new grf. This is a major negative of really wonderfull patch pack. Please, help,
thanx
Eddi
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Eddi »

you shouldn't add newgrfs to a running game.
kamnet

Post by kamnet »

hyckor wrote: 02 Feb 2022 19:42 Hello,
Is it possible to add newgrf files into the savegame? It was possible in Chill's patch pack, but I changed this version to more recent version (Chill's is not supported anymore). The savegame from the previous version works fine, but there is no more chance to include any new grf. This is a major negative of really wonderfull patch pack. Please, help,
thanx
This was changed in vanilla OpenTTD years ago. Changing NewGRFs in a savegame or running game will introduce corruption. You'll have to enable the scenario developer tools to continue to do so, and then click through a warning screen, and then remember never to submit any error reports when it eventually becomes corrupt.
hyckor
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by hyckor »

OK,
It is an acceptable risk for me. As I understand this "secret" tool must be activated.
thanx a lot
I am about to find the way
ColdIce
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by ColdIce »

Hy JGR,

Is there an option to reset station? I looked in options/settings and I couldn't find anything.
I make many changes in my game and I have cargo pile up in stations and I need to reset the cargo on 126 stations.
If there is an easy way to do this via a setting/command line, i would appreciate, rather than delete all stations -> wait for deletion -> rebuild.
In 2011 Chill's Patchpack included something like this. It was a button on the station window. I think it was taken from here viewtopic.php?p=786528&hilit=reset+station+cargo

I included some screenshots from my current game to understand why deleting stations isn't a desired option :)
Attachments
Higgins & Co., May 19th, 1952#1.png
(718.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Higgins & Co., May 19th, 1952#2.png
(1.17 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Higgins & Co., May 19th, 1952.png
(1.05 MiB) Not downloaded yet
The rest is confetti!
JGR
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by JGR »

ColdIce wrote: 07 Feb 2022 14:02 Hy JGR,

Is there an option to reset station? I looked in options/settings and I couldn't find anything.
I make many changes in my game and I have cargo pile up in stations and I need to reset the cargo on 126 stations.
If there is an easy way to do this via a setting/command line, i would appreciate, rather than delete all stations -> wait for deletion -> rebuild.
In 2011 Chill's Patchpack included something like this. It was a button on the station window. I think it was taken from here viewtopic.php?p=786528&hilit=reset+station+cargo

I included some screenshots from my current game to understand why deleting stations isn't a desired option :)
You can control-click the rating to disable supplying a particular cargo from houses/industries.
There is not a way to bulk-erase existing cargo.

If you find that you have too much cargo to transport, you can reduce the cargo generation factor settings, or increase the day length factor.
Ex TTDPatch Coder
Patch Pack, Github
Michpi
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Michpi »

It seems to me that the option "Enable train speed adaptation" does not work quite correctly in tunnels (and maybe on bridges).
A fast train that has slowed down in a tunnel due to a slow train going ahead will not accelerate until it (fast train) completely exits the tunnel. This can lead to the fact that even after the "disappearance" of a slow train, fast trains will always move through the tunnel at a low speed.
Below is a test setup. Launch train #1 (the first slow train standing in the middle of tunnel) and see what will happen.
Attachments
Test.sav
(199.57 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Return to “OpenTTD Development”