No music, no sound effect, help me!

Got a problem with TTDPatch? Get help here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Incantator
Engineer
Engineer

No music, no sound effect, help me!

Post by Incantator »

First of all, good to see a forum with such an old game still exists :D

Now, it was a struggle for me to apply TTD patch but I finally got it.
I still don't understand what ver 2.5 or 2.6 means; all that I got from TTDpatch.net was called 2.0 rev 1.
I couldn't figure out if the problem I'm having is with TTDpatch or not, so just decided to post this problem here.

So as I've said above, I got TTDpatch 2.0 rev 1 installed it successfully; I can access to the main menu and game as well without a problem so far, and the main menu says '2.0 rev 1' proudly 8)
But the problem is, I cannot hear any music or sound effect. I got into the game and fiddled around the jukebox but I can't hear a thing.
I was actually able to play the game without changing the compatibility mode into XP SP3, but just in case I changed it and tried again. The problem persists.
There was a file named 'TTconfig.EXE', so got into it, went to 'sound' section, tried every possible choices (no midi, midi, soundblaster etc) but still I couldn't here a thing. There was also a button named 'run' in the configuration, and it always said 'Run Error' whenever I clicked it no matter what I chose from the selection.

Interesting thing is that I can barely hear the sound when you change the submenu in the game, i.e. if I click any menu on the top and move my mouse down to choose different options, I think I can barely listen some kind of sound effect.
Just in case, I increased the volume and tried again but the sound effect still barely can be heard (so barely that it's almost not recognizable).

Maybe I'm making some stupid mistake, probably too tired up after completing the patch... Tried to find out some information but I only got tons of openTTD related problems.
Hope I can play this game successfully! Then I'm gonna move onto openTTD for sure :D

Thanks in advance.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: No music, no sound effect, help me!

Post by wallyweb »

The latest (and probably last) version is available here.
I don't know if this will help, but it might.
If you have any information about your sound card, that might be of help as well.
Incantator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Incantator »

Thanks! I made an additional folder and installed the latest win32 TTDpatch. Now I can hear sound effects when you click menus above in game, but still no music. I tried all different configurations through TTconfig.exe, but to no avail. In the jukebox, I couldn't even see any title being shown no matter what buttons I press so I guess the problem is the game fails to even read the music files.

I'm currently using a laptop, the sound card being Realtek High Definition Audio.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Incantator wrote: I guess the problem is the game fails to even read the music files.

I'm currently using a laptop, the sound card being Realtek High Definition Audio.
The music files are MIDI so it might be near impossible to get your sound card to play them. If your intention is to eventually move to OpenTTD, then it's probably best to forgo the music for now. There are some mp3 conversions around but they wouldn't be playable from inside the game.
Incantator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Incantator »

*Sigh* One reason for playing TTD was to feel the awesome original music T_T Hopefully OpenTTD is faithful enough to bring the original atmosphere and there is a way to sneak in the original music?

I don't care much about some lack of additional features that are only present in TTD since I believe OpenTTD will eventually come up with more things. As far as OpenTTD is played in the same way as TTD, probably I should start playing OpenTTD instead (btw I'm a huge fan of this open source reboot of an old game... say OpenXCOM is one of my favorite). What do you think about me going to OpenTTD?

Or maybe playing the game with the music played from outside the game might not be bad before going onto TTD...
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

Incantator wrote:I don't care much about some lack of additional features that are only present in TTD
Which ones are you looking for?
Or maybe playing the game with the music played from outside the game might not be bad before going onto TTD...
Take a look in here.
Incantator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Incantator »

wallyweb wrote:
Incantator wrote:I don't care much about some lack of additional features that are only present in TTD
Which ones are you looking for?
I wasn't looking for something particular. The wiki said some features in TTD patch are not in OpenTTD yet, so I assumed it is still so.
But since I don't mind the fact that OpenTTD currently might lack some of those features, as far as OpenTTD plays almost identically as TTD and I can put the original music into OpenTTD, I was thinking of moving onto OpenTTD ASAP. I don't know how much difference OpenTTD has from TTD.

And thanks for the music site, that's mighty awesome!
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

First, I owe you a big apology. There is yet a later version of TTDPatch and the link was right under my nose. It is in my signature. :oops:
The differences are mostly code cleanups. The two remaining developers seem to have moved on to other things in life and that is probably it in the life of the TTDP project.
TTDP is still very playable and very stable. With a simpler interface, it remains a good place to get one's feet wet in the genre.
Incantator wrote:The wiki said some features in TTD patch are not in OpenTTD yet, so I assumed it is still so.
That post is quite old, verging upon ancient.
At one time, OTTD did not support newobjects. It now does and has for some time.
The four most noticeable remaining differences are TTDP's support for snow in Temperate, buoys as stations, custom bridgeheads and enhanced tunnels.
Beyond those, the advantage in feature availability has shifted to OTTD. You will notice this immediately when you start an OTTD game. There are too many to list and a good part of the fun will come from the discoveries made as you explore.

Once you are comfortable with OTTD and are ready for a bit of life on the bleeding edge and are willing to risk an occasional bug or crash, there is a fork available called New Map Features. The link is in my signature as "cirdan's OpenTTD Branch".
You will find that it includes buoys as stations and custom bridgeheads as well as several new features not available in either TTDP or OTTD trunk. The topic is well worth exploring and is a good read in it's entirety.
And thanks for the music site, that's mighty awesome!
:bow:

I hope you don't have too many real life commitments. They tend to crop up at the most inopportune moments when enjoying the game. :mrgreen:
Incantator
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Incantator »

wallyweb wrote:First, I owe you a big apology. There is yet a later version of TTDPatch and the link was right under my nose. It is in my signature.
No prob at all 8) only took me another couple of minutes or so.
Funny thing is now I can hear the sound of animals like sheep in the background! o.O
I wonder what might possibly be missing more...
wallyweb wrote:TTDP is still very playable and very stable. With a simpler interface, it remains a good place to get one's feet wet in the genre.
Good, gotta play this first then move to OpenTTD :D Thanks for your help.
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

For your music problems, what version of Windows are you running, do you have UAC on if so, have you run TT Config with admin rights?

Edit:
wallyweb wrote:First, I owe you a big apology. There is yet a later version of TTDPatch and the link was right under my nose. It is in my signature. :oops:
The differences are mostly code cleanups. The two remaining developers seem to have moved on to other things in life and that is probably it in the life of the TTDP project.
TTDP is still very playable and very stable. With a simpler interface, it remains a good place to get one's feet wet in the genre.
There are also a few graphical glitches fixed in that version. I run the site that hosts the "new" versions. They are still built from the public sources - i.e. none of the code is privately held.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Just wondering, what is the initial setting in the sound tab when TTconfig starts?
I noticed you said you run TTDPatch in compatibility mode, do you run TTconfig as an administrator?
(I'm wondering because I find settings won't stick if I don't run it as an administrator on Windows 8.1)

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."

Return to “Problems with TTDPatch”